Constant Tummy Trouble

My 10 yo daughter has had constant tummy trouble for what seems like a year now. We have had her stool tested - nothing. We did the elimination diet to see if it was a particular food - nothing. It is actually more of an intestinal problem - she seems to go back and forth from having severe diarrhea to being constipated, and she feels nauseated a lot but doesn't vomit. We have done a one-day colon flush as well and that seemed to make her BMs normal for a few days, but now we are back onto diarrhea. I have upped the fiber content of her diet, cut way back on dairy - except for yogurt - and given her an intestinal enzyme supplement. She is a physically active girl - rides her bike or scooter almost daily when the weather is nice, rock climbs, swims, and plays racquetball at the rec enter 2-3 times a week, skis almost every weekedn during the winter, and plays soccer in the spring and summer. I also make sure she drinks plenty of water and we don't eat a ton of red meat - about 2 meals per week.
Does anyone have any ideas about what might be happening? I would appreciate any ideas you might have as I am about to give up on our GP and seek out a specialist.

Well, unfortunately there is not a pediatric gastro specialist within 300 miles of here, but what I did do was to get her in with the pediatrician my infant daughter - who had digestive problems as a newborn - was seeing. The first thing he did was send us down the hall for an x-ray, we came back and he said that her intestines were WAY backed up - almost to the point where she could have developed an impacted bowel and had to have surgery. She is now on a prescription laxative for a week and then we will do a colon flush and flora and she is off of dairy until further notice. Seems her habit of drinking about a quart of milk a day, plus eating her weight in cheese and yogurt, is just something her system can't handle.
Thanks to everyone for the advice!

My daughter had a problem similar to what you are describing. We were to told to give stool softener, which helped the constipation but then made the diarehha worse. My grandmother suggested giving her 1 prune (they come in packages you can keep in the fridge) a day to help keep her fiber more regulated. That really seemed to correct both problems. We did that for one month and it seems to have given her system the time to fix itself.

You've had a lot of responses, which look like rec. to see dr - I agree, they need to rule out celiac disease or food allergies (I think it's serious enough to actually get tested...) Anyways, if all tests are negative, they will probably end up saying she has irritable bowel syndrome (some foods can irritate it, but so can stress). Try charting her symptoms to see if there is a pattern with stressful situations (they may not seem stressful, but are to a 10 yr old) - social situations, etc.

Have you tried a gluten free diet? Also referred to as celiacs disease? This is an intestine problem. Distended stomach is also another sign of this disease/allergy. Wheats, oats, rye and barley. Found in less obvious items such as vinegars, chips, soups, sauces, meat, etc.

Hi J.!
My 15 year old daughter experiences similar symptoms and we haven't figured it our either, so I look forawrd to hearing from other people as you do! Thanks for bringing it up!

Hi Jaie, does your daughter like oatmeal. That is one of the best foods for constipation. My mother used to give that to me and my younger sister.We were both pre-mature babies and im not sure if that had anything to do with our intestines not fully forming, but she fed us oatmeal and it helped. Try that and they have many different flavors let her choose one she likes if it helps...also massage her abdomen area that helps with some lavender oil.

My step-daughter had the same type problem...stomach ache after eating for many years, before the doctors finally came up with what was going on....There is a little flap (sorry I don't know the name of it) that when the person eats this flap stays open, so as the food is being digested it is supposed to close, but my daughter's didn't, so the acids would continue to come up then go back down, on a constant basis.

My suggestion, if you have not checked, have her doctor check into this.

I just came across an arcticle where they did extensive studies on autopsies for mineral deficiancies. Minerals that were consistantly deficiant in people with chronic diarehea, were: Copper, EFA, Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Zinc. If you have heard of Acai, I would suggest you start your daughter on it. It is an amazing food source of vitamins and minerals. You can look it up on the internet. There are tons of articles on it, and sources to get it. My friends and I just started taking a drink called Mona Vie. Acai is the main ingredient. All 3 of us have noticed amazing differances. One friend has pregnancy induced diabetis. After she eats evan a little, and tests her blood, it is way high, but after she takes Mona Vie, it drops 20 pts. I have cronic stomach pain, but I havn't had any since I started taking it, and my energy level is much higher, and my other friend shakes all the time, but not when she takes Mona Vie. Call Pam, and she will hook you up.###-###-####

It almost sounds like IBS Irritable Bowel Syndrom, but I am not a DR. I have IBS and I mainly watch my fat, no fried foods (fast foods out of the question), and organig or less processed food worked best; I even went Vegitarian (lacto ovo with fish) for a while because even chicken bugged me. There are some good alternative health proffesionals out there that might help I prefer a Doctor of Oriental Med. but others might help, but first insure that it is not anything more sever. Good luck

Wow this sounds like me 6 months ago with my oldest daughter. We too tried the eliminating food. I on accident came across a book that talk about allergies and was shocked when I found out how many people where allergic to things we as Americans take for granted. Like processed food(the Bleach) preservatives, dyes in food. After I took the time to eliminate these ingrediants from my daughters food it was night and day. Let me tell you this is ALOT more work then it seems. I never knew meat was injected with red dye to make it look "red" for longer. I did not know the difference between natural and organic. The first thing you should do is to educate yourself on these things-then start working them out of her diet. For my daughter it took about a week and her belly stopped hurting and her bowels final balanced out. We eat healthy and always have now we just eat educated.

J., it sounds like what some would diagnose as Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Is she anxious or under stress? Our sympathetic nervous system can reek havoc on our digestive system.

1 / 3