Constant Fatigue Continuing in 2Nd Trimester

I am 16 weeks pregnant & am still experiencing constant fatigue. With my 1st child I remember this ending with my 1st trimester, and most resources say it should end then as well. However, I am still battling the fatigue all day every day and don't know what else to do. My diet is under control and I exercise almost daily. If I do actually fall asleep at night I have horrible nightmares that wake me up sweating & I can't go back to sleep. My doctor is not yet concerned, but I need suggestions on what else I can do besides watch my diet, exercise, do yoga, meditate, etc to allow my body to overcome the non-stop drowsiness. Any help?
Thanks,
-A.

I don't have a solution, just wanted to offer support. I am also expecting #2 & it's just awful this time. I could sleep constantly if I could. You are busy with a 4 yo, a husband, studying for the bar... Yikes - I'm tired just thinking of it. I'm trying to do yoga, let my body rest when it tells me I need it & staying hydrated. Maybe it will get better for you? Take care!

Who knows your body better - you or your doctor? If it is really bothering you (which it sounds like it is), then get a second opinion. Trust your instincts! Perhaps have a few simple blood tests done to check levels for thyroid, aneamia, etc. Increase your water intake and protein (meat or veggie with rice/bean combos). Eat the "leafy green" family of vegetables at lunch and dinner. Take a few days break from the exercise and find ways to take some naps so your body can try to recover from the sleep deprivation it might be feeling. Then, re-assess.
Best Wishes!

Being pregnant with your 2nd child is tiring when you are constantly running after, tending to, and caring for your 1st child. So it's normal that the tired/fatigued feeling would last longer. The first time around all you really have to worry about is yourself. Not so the second, third, etc. times. My suggestion...have relatives (grandparents, aunts/uncles) take your first child on the weekends now and then, so that you can get some rest. Try not to do too much when your oldest is with you. Do your cleaning and such in spurts. Clean for 15 minutes, take a 15 minute break. I do this even when not pregnant, partly due to health reasons, partly due to the fact that I actually do get more accomplished this way because I don't feel so fatigued and drained.
The other thing to think about is that your iron may be low. So make sure you're taking your prenates and getting enough iron in your diet. I'd talk to your dr. about that possibility, as well. Because it's such an easy fix, if that's the issue.
Congrats on your pregnancy! Have a happy, healthy 40 weeks!

I don't have many ideas for solutions, but I'd like to offer support. I'm dealing with the 1st Trimester fatigue of my second pregnancy. I'm working 40+ hrs a week and it's unbearable. I really feel for you having to deal with this so far into it. I also have noticed an increase in nightmares since I've become pregnant. Not sure why. Anyways, I hope it gets better for us both... hang in there!

Takes naps. I'm also in my 2nd trimester, 2nd pregnancy, and battling the same thing. I'm attributing it to the fact that I have a toddler to chase after when I get home from my full-time job, plus cook dinner, plus do laundry, plus clean up the house.

I have found that if I can take a nap during my lunch, although I'm not sure if you work or not, I do much better in the afternoons and evenings. I drive to a park close to my job, set my portable alarm clock, sit back in my car and close my eyes. Works wonders!

Also, remember that your 2nd trimester has really just started so it might be another week or so before the symptoms go away. In any case, rest as much as you can. Sometimes, just sitting down for a few minutes in a quiet place an closing your eyes works well, too. Don't try too hard to not be tired. That will only make it worse!

Congratulations! I just had my second and I too was more tired with the second. It did get better for a few weeks LOL. Ok, here is my "bad" advice... drink coffee. Caffine isn't the worst thing you can do and it is safe to have 3 cups of coffee a day or believe it or not 6 cans of pop. Check out the website babycenter.com. They have lots of great information. Coffee really helps when you have to keep up with another child

I am 37 weeks pregnant and it has not mattered what I have done I have suffered from fatigue this whole pregnancy. From time to time I have days with some spurts of energy. My doctor did finally put me on an antidepressant to help me along and that did make a big difference for a little while. But still not sleeping at night and tired quite a bit now that I am in my third trimester. Goodluck to you. I now its tuff. This is my second also and it is the exact oppsite of when I was pregnant with my son who is 10 now.

Hi A.! I recall the second one taking a bit more energy from me too! A friend of mine though would always take 2 to 3 hour naps everyday no matter what she did during the day or how good she slept at night. Her doctor had told her to eat things with more potassium. Bananas, peanut butter, and she had read too that apples are as good as a cup of coffee in the morning. Hope you find something that works for you, and just keep in mind the reward you will get months down the line!!! Congratulations and take care!

1 / 3