Congestion Relief Remedies for a 5 Month Old?

Hi Everyone. I am new to this website, so I have no idea if this one has already been asked, which I'm sure it probably has.

I have a 5 month old who has come down with a terrible cold. She is so congested, poor thing. Sometimes after a feeding, her coughing spells are so bad she ends up throwing up all of her milk.

We have been using a humidifier as well as applying Vicks Vapor Rub. Since we can't buy over the counter cold medicine, what other remedies would you suggest for relieving her congestion? Thanks!

I just want to thank everyone for their suggestions. I really appreciate it. Our little girl eventually got over her cold, but it was tough to see how miserable she was. Thanks again ladies, and happy holidays!

My baby had a similar problems at around 6 months.

Besides what you are already doing, when she sleeps on her back you need to put a little wedge or pillow (not soft, those are not recommended at this age), maybe a blanket folded several times and put under she sheet where she puts her head. Basically you are trying to get the baby's head to be slightly elevated so that the congestion does not get stuck, especially because it can cause ear infection.

Also, and this is really funny to say, but when my baby had that, I went grocery shopping one day and my husband was home with her. When I came back he said "The poor thing could not breath and I did not find the little pump to take off her snot, so I suck the snot out of her nose with my mouth, then spit it out."

It's funny and a little weird, and I do not know if I could do it, but after my husband' trick my baby got better as he basically blew her nose and she could breath:) Sometimes husbands do good things too!!

Why won't you buy OTC remedies? When my youngest was 4 mos old he got a bad bad cold, couldnt sleep, couldnt barely breath he was so congested..and his cough! I'll never forget it. The doc prescribed a med for him and it made him soo much better and now its the same thing as the OTC Delsym cough medicine... obviously you could only give her about 2 ml but still...poor thing is miserable and it would make her feel so much better...

Anyway if you're afraid of OTC meds then try this...its weird but trust me IT WORKS! Put the Vicks on the bottom of her feet, then put socks on her.... I know, weird.. but it does work. She'll stop coughing... And you can prop one end of her crib up to help elevate her head so she breaths easier... I used to put a few romance novels inder the legs of the crib...lol

Me...SAHM to four boys 12, 10, 7 & 6

Hi, I hope your little one is gettting better. I use Elderberry Syrup and Honey Cough syrup, found at whole foods stores, whenever my little ones get sick - it doesn't take away the conjestion, but it does help it move through the body faster.

hello. im dont know if you have heard this or not...turn th bathroom shower on and steam the room and then take her into the room with you for about 10 min or so ....that should help clear her lungs- open everything up

we went through this with one of our twin girls at 5 mos also. pediatrician recommended using the aspirator a couple times a day to suck out the loose stuff, use a cool mist humidifier & propping up the crib mattress on head end (the elevated crib mattress didn't work for us, our daughter rolls over & turns 180 degrees plus still shares a crib with her sister). If the congestion was bad enough to impact her eating (we are nursing), she said to use the infant saline nose drops. She did warn us that overuse could actually cause more congestion. She didn't tell us how much would be labelled "overuse".

Jenn,

Get a humidifier for the room, it was settle the air and help to clear the congestion. Milk at times can be harsh on an infant especially when they're congested.

When my twins were little, we had the best pediatrician, and he presribed a nebulizer which is an asthma treatment system and the saline solution which is basically salt water and we would give them a treatment a couple of times a day. This breaks up all the congestion and helps them get over colds and coughs much faster and easier. We didn't use any actual asthma medicine, just the saline and since the doctor prescribed it our insurance paid for it!

Or if you are very close to the ocean, bundle her up and sit out breathing in the salt water air.....

Good Luck,

I have 3 kids 21,16, 8...Its been a while but i still use steam...Go in the bathroom and turn on the shower as hot as you can get it, and sit breath the steam. not in the stall,,sit on the toilet. when they get older , I rub them down with Vicks vapor rub..Old fashion,,yes,..But it works, I never have given them over the counter cough med.. Hope that helps

1 / 3