Congested 6 Month Old

I have a just about 7 month old baby boy, his sleeping pattern at night use to be decent he would wake up two to three times to nurse and then go back to sleep. That was up until 3 weeks ago. Now he is up every two hours and is no longer a sound sleeper. When he does wake up he isn't really interested in nursing he is just so congested.
We have done saline drops, vaporizer, humidifier, sitting in the bathroom during a hot shower before bed, nothing works! I am exhausted I cant just let him cry himself back to sleep, (especially being that we live in a small house and my boyfriend is a driver works long hours so he really needs his sleep) how can I do that when the issue is that he is congested its not his fault. I am so frustrated Dr says it's normal but this just doesn't feel normal. Moms I know you understand how I feel, its heartbreaking when your little ones wake up in the night crying and you know what the problem is you just cant fix it. Any suggestions on congestion would be much appreciated!

The only other thing I can suggest is Vicks on his feet. That helped my daughter out a ton, but she was a little older.

When you use the saline drops, hold him on his back a bit upside down, it helps to have another adult help out with this, squirt some saline into one nostril, use more than just a couple of drops, and then use a bulb syringe (some call it a snot sucker!) to suck all of the saline and mucus out. have a basin to squit the yucky stuff into between sucking more out. Then do the same to the other nostril. He will hate this and cry but it works really well. I have also used Little Noses Decongestant Drops, they contain a medicine that vasoconstricts the little blood vessels in the nose, which allows the mucus to drain down the throat. If you use them you should just use 2-3 drops per nostril and NOT suck it back out. Good luck, I know it is so hard to have a sick little one!

Hi Andrea,

I'm sorry you (and your little boy) have to go through this! When our 7 year old was an infant, she got a terrible cold and was very congested and we had a hard time with her sleeping as well. And a lot like you, hubby was a truck driver and needed his sleep. Here's what I wished I'd had and will be getting for SURE for this current pregnancy that we've been blessed with. A bouncy chair with vibration in it that works!!

When our daughter was sick I spent three endless nights laying on the floor next to her in her bouncy chair that the vibration didn't work on it (it was a hand me down from my cousin). If I kept my hand on it and bounced it, she was content OR asleep. But if I dozed off for too long and forgot in all my sleepiness to lightly bounce her, she'd cry that poor little cry and I'd feel so terrible. I also did the vaporizer, vicks vaporub, in the hot shower room, all the same stuff. Nothing ever really worked. The cold had to run it's course. Eventually the doc gave us something for her congestion, I think...

Good luck honey! You can do it. Being a mommy is hard, being a wife is hard. But that is what we're made of!!

I could probably learn some from you as well. You have the same age spread for your children as I'll have. Any suggestions for when I bring our #2 daughter home with #1 daughter? Was your #1 in for delivery of #2?

V.

PS try applying the vicks vapo rub to the bottom of your baby's feet. That works for me!!

My only other suggestion, besides what you are doing, is to raise the head of his crib mattress a bit by putting a pillow under the mattress at the top. That can help the drainage. Eventually it will get better! Keep up with the humidifier and also try Vicks Vaporub. One other option is to get some euphorbium (a homeopathic) nasal spray drops, and spray those up his nose.

Good luck! And you can up your B vitamin intake to help you cope with the lack of sleep.

I have two nieces that suffered with this kind of problem and I also used to work for a doctor. The doctor I worked for advised patients to elevate the top end of the crib a little bit, or to have the baby sleep in their car seat or swing to keep them upright a little more. It helps to keep the drainage from running up to their heads when they're lying down flat. We did this for both of my nieces with pretty good results, especially if we still were watchful and used saline drops during the day if they needed it. It probably would be a good idea to continue with the humidifier as well. Good luck!

Hi Andrea,
I am currently going through this with my 8mo old and after going through this with 5 kids, let me tell you its normal! This is most likely because he's teething and won't stop until they come through and will start up again if more teeth decide to come in. He may have seasonal allergies and you could ask your Dr if Benadryl or Claritin are ok for him and what the dosage would be but my experience with those are they just keep the baby up even more. What you're doing with the vaporizer, humidifier, sitting in the bathroom and all are really good ideas and keep doing that! You might also try giving him a pillow or putting a pillow or a blanket under one end of his crib to incline him while he sleeps. That way when his mucus drains it doesn't pool in the back of his throat and he can swallow it. You might also try seeing if he'll sleep on his side that way the mucus might drain into one nostril and keep the other open. Also he isn't nursing because he can't breathe so you need to try to clean out his nose. You can use a Q-tip if he'll hold still and you're very careful but a bulb syrenge works really well. He will most likely hate it and fight you but don't give up, if you get his nose clear you'll both sleep alot better! Go to http://www.babycenter.com/0_eleven-safe-home-remedies-to-... for some tips on how to use the bulb syringe but that's what I use and it works the best.

For your boyfriend, if its ok he doesn't get up with the baby, give him some ear plugs LOL! Good luck! We've all been through this and you will survive!

C. C

I'm guessing he is teething. Be prepared for changing sleep patterns as this continues on till they all have come through. Usually popping through the bottom then the top. i would imagine it swells the nasal passages causing them to be congested. Sleep with him in a comfy chair in these nights he has trouble sleeping keeping him elevated. Helps him breath better. That helped my baby when he was having breathing issues.

Eva's idea is great too

Andrea,
here is the list of suggestions,
and mine there also, about how to help this problem by using,,, GARLIC!

Wishing your little one to see good dreams without distractions!

http://www.mamasource.com/request/18162964779499520001

For you, to have a great skleep as well !! :)

I don't think it would be a good idea to let your baby cry either. Have you tried different humidifiers? Some work better then others. We have to make sure the door is closed or the humidifier doesn't work at all. It is just something that you have to endure through. I wish there was more you could do for congestion.

1 / 3