Complaining of Upset Stomach

My oldest daughter who will be 5 in april often complains of her tummy aching. She complained so much that I took her to the dr. who can't find anything wrong but told me to keep a log of what she's eating. So I did, but a while into that she stopped complaining and all was normal for months until now. We are on day 3 or so of constant complaining. She says she's hungry but that can't be it, an hour after a meal. We eat a really healthy diet, rarely eat out and never eat fast food. My kids don't know the joy of a happy meal. Oh I checked her stool for worms and that is not it either. It's not that she needs to use the bathroom either, she is very regular. It's frustrating! Thanks in advance if you have any ideas.

Thank you to all who had advice. Because of the overwhelming response toward the problem possibly being stress, I am going to treat it that way and see if that helps. That makes the most sense to me. She is under alot of pressure. That is one of the things I pray about the most. She loves to please, she's a doll and I need to find better ways to relieve her from some stress.

Have you considered acid reflux? There is a mild form of it that causes stomach aches. If she's suffering from food allergies you will see a red inflamed area around her anus. Environmental allergies (pollen, etc) will manifest as dark circles under her eyes.

One of my cousins was always missing school due to stomach aches. I think it was nerves. If she got really nervous or scared, she'd get sick. Have you re-introduced any foods the past 3 days? Is it an alergy to dairy or something like that?

There might be a mind-body connection to this.
Is she an anxious kid? Does she worry or stress out a lot?
Ask her what's bugging her and work on that - her stomach will heal itself after that.

Sounds very familiar in what our boy went through. On top of stomach ache he had daily loose stools. We found out that he was allergic to wheat gluten. Once we took him off of all wheat products (including oats that he also seemed to have a problem with) he did much better. Going wheatless is a big committment and it works best if the whole family support this type of change, but in the long run it increased the health of all of our diets. Check out this website for more info: http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/pa/pa_wheatall_hhg.htm

Hi T.!

Our now 9yr old daughter has many food & environmental allergies. Her food allergies mostly manifest into a stomach ache & diaper rash type symptoms. Our ped couldnt find anything clinically wrong with her & we received a handful of dx's from various dr's. I also charted her food & we also eat very healthy. In fact, our daughter is a vegetarian so fast food isnt really an option either. We consulted an allergist & determined that most of the healthy foods I was giving her she would react to. Tomatoes, avocado, cashews, green apples, green grapes (& also beef, which is funny because she had a meat aversion from very young). We eliminated those foods & focused on building up the health in her gut by putting her on child dosed probiotics. It has worked WONDERS for her & also for our youngest daughter. We found thru further research & also consultation my my own nutritionist that her body is sensitive to acidic foods, thus the stomach aches, so we focused on incorporating more alkaline foods into her diet. That also helped. There are absolutely NO contraindications for probiotics. You can take them long term, with other medications, etc. And they are very inexpensive. The brand we like is Nature's Plus Acidophikidz. It's also a great immune builder, so if the kids are coming down with a bug, we boost the dosage & it takes away their loose stools.

Good luck! I hope you find resolve quickly for daughter & peace of mind for you!

Have you tried papaya enzimes? The Sacramento Natural Foods Co-op sells them and they're like natures "Tum's" the problem with your daughter may be stomach acid and not that there's too much... maybe not enough. The papaya enzime will create more stomach acid getting rid of upset bellies, heartburn, and digestion problems. My 6 year old had the belly woes for years, describing everything your daughter does and those enzimes helped her. Good luck, R.

Hey there

This could be anxiety....dont freak out. Where do you go to the Dr.? You may need to see someone who believes in childhood anxiety. I had this as a child and the tummy aches are just no fun. I hate to see a child suffer like that when the cure is very simple. There are many things you can do. I am open to talking with you and sharing my experiences. Email me at ____@____.com and I can give you my #. I have alot of information to share. I have 4 girls ages 13, two 7 yr olds, and a 2 yr old. One of my little girls suffers from anxiety...I think I may be able to help. :)

I too have a daughter almost 5 years old that was always complaining about her stomach hurting. When we spoke to the doctor they mentioned it might be a lactose issue. I changes milk from 2% to 1% and sometimes non-fat. She doesn't complain hardly anymore, except when she's had TOO much milk in the day. She really enjoys chocolate milk and cereal, some times she overindulges.

could be stress. could be that a lot of times when a grownup would have a headache a child will have a stomachache. could be an allergy or sensitivity. I assume that the doctor would have (or will if necessary) notice if there is some structural reason why she's hungry but not able to eat. ...

Look into things like lactose intollerance (dairy products) or gluttin (wheat) sentsitivities. Both of these can make one's stomach ache and the spells come and go with what is being eatten. Also diets high in Broccoli and other vegetables can sometimes cause issues with gas. The other big problem with all of these is they can take days for your system to get back to normal after a flare up. So it may not be what was just eaten but what was eaten a few hours or days before.

1 / 3