Commute Time - Need Good Ideas for Things to Listen to While Driving?

Hello Everyone in Mamapedia Land =0)

I was wondering if anyone would care to share what they listen to other than the radio during their daily commutes. I was thinking about getting some CD's and maybe looking into checking out some books on CD through the local library. My commute itimes are: 30 minutes to work and 45 minutes home. Has anyone done the books on CD thing while driving? Was it too distracting to listen to while driving? What about CD's? Any good picks out there? I was thinking about getting a Faith Hill CD? I would like music CD's that are child appropriate as well since I have the kids w/me during part of the drive time home. I like pretty much all types of music (except rap) inclduing jazz. Any and ALL suggestions welcome =)

Thanks so much for reading and I look forward to "hearing" from you!!!

You guys are AWESOME! Thanks so much for responding. You've all been a huge help. I went down to my nearest library and I couldn't beleive how many audio-books they had! Tons! I selected one of them and listened to it before picking up the kids. It was a little strange at first to have someone "talking" to me. It took a little getting use to but it really made my commute time fly by. I wasn't that impressed with the novel itself so I'll be exchanging it for another one soon. I can't imagine how the commute would have flown by had I been listening to a book I was really into! It's like have company along for the ride. I never realized I was lonely & bored before during the commute, LOL! I also plan on getting some music CD's from the library, I totally forgot that they have them there. And they have CD's, audio-books for children as well. Thanks for all the tips!!! And I never heard of a netflix type service for Audio-books before, I'll have to look into that once we listen to all the stuff from the libary first since it's free afterall =)

You are going to laugh at me. (that's ok!)
I go to a lot of renaissance festivals (Maryland Renaissance festival in Crownsville MD has been one of my favorites for years),
and I really like a group called "The Pyrates Royal" and they sell CDs.
When I commuted, I'd listen to sea chantys and pirate songs.

Love, love, love books on CD's. My SIL and friends laugh at me about it. I've listened to quite a few Nicholas Sparks books on CD and I also listened to Chelsea Handlers first book, that was so funny. I didn't find the books distracting at all. Sometimes I would get home from work and stay in the car to listen longer.

I love the books on tape (CD) idea and you can rent tons at your local library....anything you would like to read recently but just don't have time?

As far as music is concerned, I highly recommend "Blue October's-Foiled" CD...it is one of those CD's where every song on it is great! In my opinion it has a lot of Pink Floyd influences in it...if you like that sort of thing!
And you really can't go wrong with The Greatest Hits CD by Bob Marley!
Maybe some Blondie too?

I get books on tape at the library, or I listen to Queen. My daughter loves "we will rock you". :-)

We get books on tape/CD from the library, and I love them. Be warned though that sometimes they are a little bit abused and might have some scratches on them--it won't hurt your player, but can effect the quality of the playing. But it's way cheaper than buying.

I listen to non-fiction on the drive to work (20 min drive one way), and when running errands around town sometimes. I don't find it at all distracting because if the driving requires 110% of my attention, I just block out the radio if it's on. For example, I listened to "The Care & Feeding of your Husband" and "How To Talk so your Kids will Listen" on CD.

Your library may even let you search & reserve stuff online (so much simpler!), but they will have a ton of options for fiction, non-fiction, and some music. I would be really really surprised if they don't have some good kids music selections, too.

Otherwise, if you find books/music you like & want to buy, check your 2nd-hand book stores. I think there is also an online book swap site, but I'm sure what the url is.

I listened to the Nanny Diary's on cd before it was a movie. So glad I listened to it first it was wonderful. also listened to all the harry potter cd's.

I love to listen to Joyce Meyer on cd. Very motivational! I also have purchased 10 ways to leadership on cd years ago. Go for it!

I have a long commute too and what I did was join a site called simplyaudiobooks.com. It is like netflix but for audio book. You can either choose to get CD's shipped to you or you can sign up for the download membership where you download the books and can then burn them to CD yourself or upload them to your iPod. I signed up for the CD's since that seemed simpler to me. I always have 2 books at a time and listen to about 1 per week. Once you are done you just stick it in the mail and they send the next one on your list, just like Netflix. I thought about buying them through iTunes or amazon but they can be really expensive and once you listen to them you don't want them anymore. I don't find it distracting and it makes the drive actually enjoyable. I used to read all the time before I had my son so now I get to listen to all the books I want. This site has over 11,00 titles to choose from so there are plenty of children friendly books to choose from. Good luck!!

1 / 3