Common Cold - Suggestions on How to Keep Colds from Passing Around the Home...

I am looking for any common cold good advice. It seems that in my household, since Fall season has arrived we keep passing the cold around through all 4 of us. do? My 3.5 yr. old just started preschool in Sept. this seems to be the source - however there will always be a 'source.' How can we be pro-active?

Thanks fellow Mom's the support was very helpful and nice to know I am not the only one! I will take all of your suggestions and put them to use!

Get (and use) the Zicam oral spray. It's wonderful -- the minute you think you're coming down with a cold, start using it. It's Zinc, and safe for everyone. Works wonders!

I really like ariborne, it seems to keep colds lasting only a few days instead of a week, try Trader's Joe's or a health food store, there is a Jr version too which might be good for you little ones

Have you tried using fresh garlic? I use fresh garlic in a brushetta recipe that my kids love and it seems to ward off the germs.

Also... I personally gargle with peroxide when I feel a cold or sore throat coming on. I understand if you don't want the kids gargling with peroxide. But as an adult it works for me. Hope this helps. C. D

keep hand sanitizer around the house in common places for your family use and guests. of course washing hands is always better but not as practical. (you can buy natural sanitzer too). also cleaning door knobs and toys more often is a good way to be proactive. if someone in your family STARTS to feel ill in anyway, stay away from sugar. major immune depresser. well, that is my 2 cents..i look forward to seeing some other ideas :)

The best thing to do is keep your immune systems boosted so you don't have to actually get sick too much. My family and I take high quality multiple vitamin daily and extra vitamin C and zinc when someone brings a bug home. They now have "Airborne," "Immune Fizz," and "Emergen-C" just for this purpose and my kids like them. It's actually a good thing to be exposed to colds and flus because it builds up your immune system, you just have to make sure your immune system is up to the fight. It's also important to get enough rest consistently and drink plenty of fluids all the time not just when you are sick.

O.K. Now I'm going to play devil's advocate a little to what the other mamas said. I would be careful of flu shots and sanitizing products. Here's the reasoning: The flu shots are one of the few remaining vaccines with mercury in them (some say harmless, some say harmful.) They also are for last year's flus not this years. So I personally don't see the point. As far as sanitizing products go there is quite a bit of research that they are one of the reasons we are finding more and more "super" germs because they mutate to be immune to these sanitizers. I just wash with normal castille soap and water at home. It works pretty well to keep the germs and toxins to a minimum without creating "super" bugs.

My best friend and I laugh about our children being like petrie dishes and bringing home all kinds of things to make us healthier in the long run. Believe it or not, there are studies that show children who come from sterile homes end up getting sicker in the long run because their bodies haven't learned to fight off the natural nasties that exist in the rest of the world outside of their sterile environment at home.

Hi Dawn,

My family has been taking Juice Plus+ for 5 years now and I am happy to say my 13 year old and my 6 year old have been very healthy! It is 17 different fruits and veggies in a capsule, gummie or chewable. It is whole food not isolated vitamins. We all know that fruits and veggies are the natural way to keep our immune systems healthy. Our family has this flowing through our bodies every single day. It gives me piece of mind knowing this. You can check out the published, peer reviewed scientific studies that have been done on ____@____.com. Please feel free and call me if you have any questions. my mission is to educate families about the importance of whole food nutrition.

###-###-####

I have this fantastic spran called Soluguard it is all natural biotanicals and non toxic and NOT an irritant. I can evey spray it over my fish tanks ..... oooh year!

I love this stuff, i love this stuff, i love this stuff.
My son has chronic asthma and bronchatus so we have to keep all the alerigens and bacterias that cause colds down and while you can get rid of all of them especially saving them from getting them from school. We can stop the spread in our home.

If you would like to know more about the Soluguard I will be happy to share that with you as it is ordered from a fortune 500 company. I swear by this stuff!

Hi Dawn,

A good air system that does not promote ozone. The hepa airsystem kills 99.9% of bacteria, virus and mold. I bought two of them one for the bedroom and one for the family room. I have not had the flu in 10 years. Good nutrition is also helpful for the immune system. I use immunity, Ciaga and barley grass for the whole family. My granddaughter has been using these technologies since she was 2 days old. She is very healthy and seldom has a cold. She is 7 now.

You may check out www.nikken.com/ninamarie for more info.'
Have a blessed day.

N. Marie

Conveniently, one solution is already in season: pumpkin seeds, which are high in zinc. Studies also show that people who consume a half cup of plain or fruit sweetened yogurt on a daily or almost daily basis get something like half the number of colds as those who don't. I would also be sure to get outside for a dose of vitamin D regularly. And some internal regulating, exersize is also helpful: be it yoga or T'ai Chi. Both do a lot to increase immune response. Good health to you and your family!

Good old fashioned hand washing with soap and water. You don't need the antibacterial soap, but good luck finding non-antibacterial soap. It's a great marketing technique which will come back to haunt us. The good news is that after your 3.5 year old strentghtens her immune system from having had several colds, she and you will be less suseptible.

1 / 3