Commercials During Kids TV Programming

My 3 1/2 year old daughter was just watching Max & Ruby on Nick and there was a commercial for Suave shampoo where the woman described her hair as "Sexy and Sleek".

Does this bother anyone else?!?!

I don't really want my daughter to want sexy hair, or even Know what Sexy is!!

One more reason to do away with the TV. A channel that was thought to be safe for kids, advertised as being FOR kids, in fact is advocating mature themes. I really wish channels devoted to kids shows would screen their commercials a little better, or do away with them all together.

Call Nickeldoen and complain about it. Seriously - they will listen.

Call the other companies that are paying for commercial air time and tell them that you won't buy their products any more if they don't either pull their ads from Nick or make commercials that are AGE APPROPRIATE!!!

I too hate ANY commercials...shampoo...toys (I want that for my birthday/christmas, etc)....

For any shows I allow for the little TV time my daycare kids are allotted...its either PBS, on demand type shows (no commercials so they are short!)...ori DVR shows then skip over the commercials.

Persoanlly I hate comercials too and watch most of my own programming thru the DVR....I love having the "skipper" button!

Actually that bothers me less than the commercials trying to get my kid to buy junk. At lease shampoo is a necessity, and it is normal for a woman to want to feel sexy. The crappy toys and food that are normalized by commercials appalls me. I don't mean to make light of your concern though - I actually don't let my kids watch live tv because of the commericals. They only watch DVDs or On Demand or PBS. My 6 year old is confused when she occasionally sees a commercial and wants to know why the show is being interrupted.

Those commericals don't bother me as much as the trailers for horror movies. Shown during the day when small children are present. Right now Insidious is the current trailer. Very distrubing one at that. Everytime it comes on my husband and I have to distract our three year old of run for the remote to change the channel. Uhhggg.

Then there are the toy commercials of the kids channel's. Of course every time one comes on, my daughter jumps around saying, "Mommy I want that one!!". I just reply, "oh course you do honey... You want everything you see on TV." :P

We use the "on demand" feature which has no commercials. The kids shows with our cable company on Sprout and Nick Jr, etc. have on demand options that are free.

that's why we have dvr, we fast forward through most commercials.

Even the kid appropriate commercials get to me. My daughter has recently started watching Sprout and now she is obsessed with the Baby Bullet. She really wants us to get one and quotes the commercial. A day or two ago she asked me if I had anti-wrinkle cream because she saw a commercial for it. Now she is back to only being allowed to watch Nick, Jr. and PBS so that she doesn't see any commercials and ask me to get everything she sees.

I got fed up with kids' channels that play commercials, so now my kids only watch pbskids, Disney Junior, or DVDs. Someone told me that Nick Jr. is formerly Noggin and does not play commercials, but I haven't checked that out. We are pretty happy with the selection of shows on pbskids (no sexy hair there... lol).

We like Sprout in our household (almost 3 year old and almost 1 year old). I don't think they show commercials at all - only commercials for the shows on that channel.
We tend to DVR the shows the girls like best and put them on when I am fixing dinner, etc. If your daughter really likes the Nick shows you could DVR them and then just fast forward over the commercials.

1 / 3