Commercials During Kids TV Programming

My 3 1/2 year old daughter was just watching Max & Ruby on Nick and there was a commercial for Suave shampoo where the woman described her hair as "Sexy and Sleek".

Does this bother anyone else?!?!

I don't really want my daughter to want sexy hair, or even Know what Sexy is!!

One more reason to do away with the TV. A channel that was thought to be safe for kids, advertised as being FOR kids, in fact is advocating mature themes. I really wish channels devoted to kids shows would screen their commercials a little better, or do away with them all together.

Call Nickeldoen and complain about it. Seriously - they will listen.

Call the other companies that are paying for commercial air time and tell them that you won't buy their products any more if they don't either pull their ads from Nick or make commercials that are AGE APPROPRIATE!!!

I too hate ANY commercials...shampoo...toys (I want that for my birthday/christmas, etc)....

For any shows I allow for the little TV time my daycare kids are allotted...its either PBS, on demand type shows (no commercials so they are short!)...ori DVR shows then skip over the commercials.

Persoanlly I hate comercials too and watch most of my own programming thru the DVR....I love having the "skipper" button!

Actually that bothers me less than the commercials trying to get my kid to buy junk. At lease shampoo is a necessity, and it is normal for a woman to want to feel sexy. The crappy toys and food that are normalized by commercials appalls me. I don't mean to make light of your concern though - I actually don't let my kids watch live tv because of the commericals. They only watch DVDs or On Demand or PBS. My 6 year old is confused when she occasionally sees a commercial and wants to know why the show is being interrupted.

Those commericals don't bother me as much as the trailers for horror movies. Shown during the day when small children are present. Right now Insidious is the current trailer. Very distrubing one at that. Everytime it comes on my husband and I have to distract our three year old of run for the remote to change the channel. Uhhggg.

Then there are the toy commercials of the kids channel's. Of course every time one comes on, my daughter jumps around saying, "Mommy I want that one!!". I just reply, "oh course you do honey... You want everything you see on TV." :P

We use the "on demand" feature which has no commercials. The kids shows with our cable company on Sprout and Nick Jr, etc. have on demand options that are free.

that's why we have dvr, we fast forward through most commercials.

Even the kid appropriate commercials get to me. My daughter has recently started watching Sprout and now she is obsessed with the Baby Bullet. She really wants us to get one and quotes the commercial. A day or two ago she asked me if I had anti-wrinkle cream because she saw a commercial for it. Now she is back to only being allowed to watch Nick, Jr. and PBS so that she doesn't see any commercials and ask me to get everything she sees.

I got fed up with kids' channels that play commercials, so now my kids only watch pbskids, Disney Junior, or DVDs. Someone told me that Nick Jr. is formerly Noggin and does not play commercials, but I haven't checked that out. We are pretty happy with the selection of shows on pbskids (no sexy hair there... lol).

We like Sprout in our household (almost 3 year old and almost 1 year old). I don't think they show commercials at all - only commercials for the shows on that channel.
We tend to DVR the shows the girls like best and put them on when I am fixing dinner, etc. If your daughter really likes the Nick shows you could DVR them and then just fast forward over the commercials.

Sprout channel is kid commercials.

I agree tho. I shouldn't be seeing commercials for adult products on kids specific channels. They are mainly there since parents end up watching the programs too. Captive audience kind of thing.

We watch PBS, nick jr and disney jr, neither of them have commercials on our cable company which is why I'll allow those channels only. We limit the amount of tv time but there are a few really cute shows on each channel that my 4 y/o likes. Depending on what time of the day it is we can always find 1 show to watch while Mommy preps dinner, gives the baby a bath, makes a quick call, etc. I too do not want adult directed commercials bombarding my daughter with society's standards of beautiful or sexy. My daughter's are beautiful people, inside and out....they really are just too adorable but hey I'm a smidge biased ;) We want our girls to not conform to what others think they should look like but rather be comfortable in their own skin. Nor do I want them judging other people based on their looks rather than their actions. At four my daughter doesn't need to know what "sexy" is nor should I have to feel compelled to explain as I do with everything she asks. Of course I tell my girls they are beautiful, but I also tell them "that was really a beautiful thing you just did for your baby sister, you have a beautiful heart, that's what makes you such a beautiful person."

We watch a lot of Nick Jr. and PBS here, and On Demand.

The horror movie trailers bug me more than sexy hair. We might be watching something fairly benign and then, Bam! close of up a monster that will give DD nightmares. Sigh.

We only watch kids shows on PBS and netflix... no commercial interuptions of any kind (though PBS does sponsor announcements between shows).

The first time my daughter saw a movie on a regular channel she got SO upset because she though we had turned her show off... ha ha...

Do you get Treehouse where you are? Its a Canadian channel and it has literally No commercials. Thats all my DD watches and I am never worried about the content on there.
PS Max and Ruby is on Treehouse all the time, as is Thomas the train, Waybuloo, Guess with Jess, Franklin, etc

Sexy hair ads really don't bother me as much (unless they are the ones that make the woman look like she's having the big O while in the shower, lol!) as the general consumerism does. Our daughter loves her kids' DVDs mostly so we stick w/ those. On occasion she'll watch a regular kids channel and I've been quick and consistent with pointing out to her that commercials exist to sell us a product and drain us of our money :)

I'm very obviously in the minority but referring to hair as sexy doesn't bother me. I tell my daughter all the time that she has sexy legs. My mother used to tell me that I was sexy (she teased a lot) and I am perfectly fine. If they were advertising condoms it would be a different story. There's no way to control ALL that your kids see especially as they get older. You block what you can and explain and be honest about the rest. While it doesn't apply to your question, it's important to be careful of how much you censor because those kids with too much censorship tend to become everything you didn't want them to see/know about.

We watch Nick Jr. - no commercials at all. :)

yes-it bothers me a great deal-too much of ad content and film content is regarded as being "over their head"-but in reality-children are being bombarded by sex and inuendo-and quickly put it all together.

We don't have cable, so I can't be tempted to let my son watch channels like Nick or Disney. Just a suggestion... try PBS kids. Our PBS station here in Chicago has children's programming all day long until 6 pm and I love it! They do not show commercials except for their own programming and events. Their shows are always educational and fun, too. I would look to see if your PBS channel has something similar, I know my mom's doesn't have it all day, but shows kid's stuff in like 2 hour chunks throughout the day. If that's the case near you, just keep the TV off during other times of the day. If your daughter has a particular show she likes on Nick or something, you could get a DVD of just that show so that she doesn't have to be exposed to commercials on TV.

That actually doesn't bother me at all but I do agree with the Mama that mentioned the horror movie trailers, especially Insidious! WAY TOO CREEPY for daytime tv!

Yes, it bothers me. So DS (5) does not watch tv. It's the easiest and healthiest solution and gets rid of a ridiculous number of 'I wants'.

My DD has started quoting the intros. "Max and Ruby... coming up next on Nick!" Lol. I'm sure that the commercial quotes aren't far behind.
We try to do mainly the dvr or dvds, but she still watches tv too.