Color Blind

Dose any know how to tell if your 3 yrs old is color blind? I have a 3 1/2 yrs old little girl and me and my mother have been trying to teach her color but all she say is every thing is blue.

Color blindness in girls is RARE. I would stop asking her what color things are and start saying, "Look at the RED fire truck." Look at the GREEN grass.. YELLOW sun.. then after awhile, follow a look at the _ with can you find something else that is __.

You can mix colors too. One fun (and relatively unmessy way to do it) is to spray white shaving foam in a bag and add a couple of drops of paint or food coloring - then seal and smush. My son learned his colors and predicting mixes this way.

I agree with Nikki who suggested doing matching activities instead. There are products like sorting bears, in which you put all the yellow bears in the yellow cup, green in the green cup, etc. They're pretty fun!

Women are not color blind. They only carry the gene which they pass on to the males. This is a normal reaction for a child so young. Just keep teaching and she will finally get it. But sometimes they will call one color all the time because this is the one they like

By Diane Griffith, HealthAtoZ writer

If your child draws pictures of people with green skin and houses with brown grass, you may think he's being creative. The truth is, he may be color blind.

About 10 million men in America are color blind. That's about 8 percent of the country's male population. Color blindness (also called color vision deficiency) affects less than 1 percent of women. Most color blindness is inherited. Other causes include aging, glaucoma, cataracts and certain medications.

Types of color blindness

Red-green blindness. Trouble distinguishing between shades of red and green. This is the most common type.
Blue-yellow blindness. Difficulty telling the difference between shades of blue and green.
Green blindness. Inability to distinguish the green part of the color spectrum.
Absence of color vision. Seeing only black, white and shades of gray. This condition is very rare.

What causes color blindness?
In the retina of each of our eyes are three cones. Each cone reacts to a different color of light - red, blue or green. A defect in a cone causes mild color blindness. If a cone is missing completely, the color blindness is more severe.

A boy with color blindness inherits it from his mother, who inherited it from her father. This gene (involving the X chromosome) affects the cones.

A woman who carries the gene usually has normal color vision. If she has a son, the chances are 50-50 that he will be color blind. If a woman is color blind, her sons will be, too. The condition is rare in girls. If a girl is color blind, she has inherited one affected X chromosome from each parent.

Recognizing color blindness in your child
A child with a color vision problem may do any of the following:

Refer to colors - especially primary shades - by the wrong name.
Draw pictures differently than others (e.g., a tree trunk may be black or the grass brown.)
Refer to a light pink or light green object as white.
See reddish and greenish colors as similar (e.g., confusing peach and light green, or dark green and cranberry.)

Problems
Color blindness can't be cured. Your child may feel frustrated, but can adjust. He or she may have problems with:

Selecting the right crayon or marker
Choosing clothes that match
Reading color-coded maps or charts
Knowing when meat is completely cooked
Understanding traffic signals
Having a career that requires normal color vision (e.g., pilot, police officer, firefighter, printer, etc.)

Testing
The most common test for color blindness is the Ishihara. The child is shown a set of plates, each with a number, letter or symbol hidden in a circle of dots. The symbol is easy to see with normal vision, but invisible to someone who is color blind. Using this test, the doctor can determine what type of color blindness the child has.

Coping
Teach your child that color blindness is a unique trait, not a limitation.

Help your child by:

Accepting the color names your child uses
Describing an object without mentioning color - ask for the fuzzy pillow or the striped shirt
Gently suggesting clothing choices when something doesn't match
Telling your child's teacher about the condition
Talking about the future and explaining that certain professions require good color vision