College Summer Classes- Too Much?

I'm going to college and this is my first year. I was hoping to take summer classes, but someone told me that I should only take one class during the summer because they condense the information that would normally be extended over a whole semester into 8 weeks.
I can take one 4-credit class, but I would really like to take another 3-credit class to get it over with. Has anyone attempted to take 7 or more credits during the summer? Is it unrealistic? I've only been taking 8 credits so far and it has been pretty easy, but I have no idea what the summer will be like. Thank you

The class I'm going to take for sure is English Composition [4 credits]. The one I was considering adding to that was Health Care Ethics [3 credits]. My son will be in daycare for 3 days a week. I think based on everyone's responses I probably will just take the English class since there will be lots of reading and writing and research. Now the question is, should I take the online version or the in-class version? I'm leaning towards taking it online and just visiting the college in person if I need extra help.
Anyway, thank you all for you input!

I think you can do it. It is intense, but then it's over so quickly. I'd go for it. I know I packed quite a bit into a summer once and it was fine.

I made the mistake of taking classes strait through my first year of college and got burnt out on school. I would take the summer off, it gives your brain a chance to recharge.

if you MUST take a class, take only one.

I am not sure if you work or not!! Do you have kids?? It all depends on how difficult your classes are! (Ex: Finite, Algebra, Composition, Psychology-these may be considered harder classes because of the amount of studying or amount of time needed for the class) I would take one hard one (maybe) and one easy one! Or, take 2 easy classes!! If you're going to school on grants and want it paid for, you will need to take 2 classes!!

I am an academic advisor at a university. The summer terms are 10 weeks, and the spring, fall, and winter are 12 weeks. They have the same amount of information in the summer that they do in the 12 week courses except it goes much faster and they pretty much cram it in. A lot of students either take it off or just take one class during the summer. Good Luck!!

If you take two classes that you know you wont struggle with, you will do just fine. Just go into knowing you will have homework on those beautiful summer nights you would rather be out with friends. I took 2-3 summer classes each year I was in college. It just puts a damper on the summer activities. I also took 12-17 credit hours during the school year. My boys were 4 and an infant when I went back to school. Remember to take time for your kids too!

K.:
Having both taught summer courses and taken them I can tell you it's a lot of work in a shorter time. Everything happens faster including homework due dates and exams. You also have less time to absorb the info. This can be overwhelming if you are not prepared. If you take more than one, I would suggest you mix a quantitative with a non-quantitative.

I would also be careful of taking certain courses for your major in the summer if you think you won't be able to give it enough time. This is b/c you may rush through the material and get a just a passing grade without really learning the material. This will come back to haunt you later if this course is a prerequisite for other courses.

The point is summer school is like regular school but faster. If you have a strong work ethic you can do it. Just choose your courses carefully.

Our school only does 5 week classes... so SUPER intense. I always took 2 classes in the summer (but I had to in order to keep receiving aid), but my kiddo was also still young enough to be napping (huge, as far as studying went). The 5 week quarter gave a 2 month break, which was fantastic, but man oh man the classes were intense.

I'd strongly reccomend if you're going to do 2 classes to only do 1 hard class, and 1 easy class.

R

I took college classes during the summer. Because I had a great summer job on campus, and was single. One summer I took 2 classes and those classes with my summer job kept me hopping!!! You cover a lot of material in a little time. Your work outside of class is heavy. I was so busy. But was single, no boyfriend, no kids.....and it worked for me. If you have a family....taking 2 classes would not be fair to them.

Second summer, I took one class and worked. Much more manageable. I even had a little fun and R & R, too.

I loved summer classes. The class sizes are smaller---you get a lot more help and attention! The professors are more relaxed...they come to class in shorts and sandals a lot of the time. We even talked one of our professors into taking class to a nearby cafe one morning so we could sit outside and have coffee. I found it enjoyable....but if you are starting your first year, take one class this summer.

1 / 3