College Graduation Money Gift

Hi Moms,

How much should I give to my nephews who are graduating with their 2 year college degrees? It's been a long time since I attended a college graduation and am clueless on how much to give them.

Thanks to all. We gave $50 each to each graduate.

We have so many graduations to go to each year so people I know, but aren't real close with I give $15, the ones I'm closer to I give $20. But if it were family (and I havne't experienced that yet). I'd try to give as much as I could afford especially if we were close. If we weren't as close I'd give $20.

I would say $50 if they are stopping with the 2 year degree and $100 if they are going to a 4 year university (if you can afford it).

To be honest, I quit giving money and started giving Tupperware. I don't know how much they have to put in an apartment already, but Tupperware NEVER goes out of style and will generally last a lifetime; that saves them money, time, and helps our planet.

You could go to www.my.tupperware.com/kitgrabowski and pick something out (lots of great items for microwave cooking) or simply get them a gift card. You're likely to be remembered more for the Tupperware than money.

I'd say that $50 would be very generous. :)

Hi M.---I agree with the other posts. First, it has to be within your means.

If it were me, I would probably give a $50 gift, particularly since they are family members. I think I'd also give my nephew/godson $100 because of the closer relationship I have with him. Another option would be to give a savings bond, one type which doubles in value over a period of years. That way, $25 would be worth $50.

When you give from the heart, you've done a very generous thing. Have fun! D.

M.,

A monetary gift, of course, is to the giver's discretion on how much they can afford, but here's what I'm doing this year. My sister-in-law's 2 sons are graduating - one from college and the youngest from high school. When Zach graduated h.s., we gave him $50. So, that's what Ryan will get and since Zach is graduating after 4 years of college, he'll be receiving $100. Now, this is our decision and what *we* can afford to do for them; they're our children's only cousins and we're a pretty close-knit family anyway. Each family is different and finances are a factor for many. So, you give what you feel is appropriate and what you can afford to spend. They're young adults - they'll understand and be appreciative of ANY gift they're given.

BTW, tell them Congratulations!

N.
Okemos, MI

I think it depends on the typical gift you give within a family. I have some nephews I am very close to. For them I may go $50 as a one time gift. However other nieces and nephews who I really don't know but I'm related to I would only give $25. I don't think you're obligated to be more generous when you're related. I give more to some graduates I'm closer to than I do relatives. Just my thoughts.

This would totally depend on your family and your financial situation. You might think about what other kids will be coming along and what precedent you are setting. When my grandkids graduated from high school, the gifts they got were either small things like picture frames or small gas cards or checks for $25 and an occasional $50.

1 / 3