Colic? - Waterloo, IL

how do you know if a 2 week old has colic or acid reflux?

Call or go to the doctor and talk to them. Some babies have a medical condition where the opening from the esophagus/stomach is narrow. I cannot think of the medical term at the moment...anyway, talk to the doctor. Or if she is on formula, she could have an allergy to that particular kind. If you are nursing, there could be something that you are eating that is upsetting her stomach????

Hi G.. I'm not sure why people are saying colic starts at 3 or 4 months. That's when it usually goes away. "Colic usually appears in the first few weeks after birth and the cause isn't known. It generally lasts for three to four months." Colic pretty much means the docs don't know why they're crying. What used to be always called colic is often diagnosed as reflux, but not all cases are. And not all reflux is spitting up either. There is silent reflux too. And some pediatricians will refuse to diagnose reflux and will only call it colic, so don't be afraid to get a second opinion if yours is old school. We had to. Our daughter's reflux was not helped by any meds...we had to eliminate dairy, and then corn products and beef (but the docs told us not to...I just couldn't stand the screaming any more). But most reflux kids are really helped by meds and clear up in as little as 4 months when their valve thingey in their esophagus matures (interesting timing, since "colic" clears up usually by 4 months). Being a new mommy is so hard, and doctors will tend to dismiss you as being a nervous mom, but follow your instincts. Yes, new babies do cry, but you'll know if it's not right. If the baby is crying around the same time every day, think colic unless they are really tired or something else at that time might be triggering it (some say too much stimulation over the course of the day and then they've just had it). If the crying seems to be more after eating, or when baby's flat on his back, or any time of day or night with no pattern, think reflux. Try keeping him (or her) elevated after feeding for at least 20 minutes, and even try elevating the head of the bed. Some reflux babies are really happy sleeping in their carseats, although mine hated hers and was only happy if I was holding her in one position. I spent all my time online researching when I really needed sleep. Let me know if you want me to send you a list of my bookmarked links on reflux (and "is it reflux or colic") or if you have any more questions. Try reading "The Happiest Baby on the Block" (or better yet, get the video from the library...who can read with a two week old).Good luck and hang in there. C..
Oh, and lots of moms swear by gripe water. Your doc will look at you like you are crazy, but you can buy it over the counter a health food stores or even walgreens etc.

2 weeks is a little young for colic. It usually hits around 3 months, though that is not to say it doesn't ever hit that young.

Colic tends to happen at about the same time every day (usually in the evening) and baby is inconsolable for hours. With our first, we had to put her in the car seat (around 2:00 every morning !)and drive around for awhile to get her to relax and go to sleep.
The whole rest of the day baby is happy and healthy and has no discomfort with feeding or lying down to sleep.

Acid reflux will tend to be connected with feeding times and laying flat. There may be spitting up (which usually doesn't happen with colic). A doctor can diagnose reflux, where as they usually can find no cause for the crying with colic.

Colic tends to happen with first babies, though occasionally you will hear about it with others. Reflux can happen with any child of any birth order.

Hi G.,
I've been there, however it has been several years.
From what I remember about colic it was pretty much at the same time evening?
My daughters ped. gave me a script for donatol, which is an adult medication. It turned her into a zoombie at just a few weeks old. Nice for the first night, but too scary to continue.
No matter what it ends up being, you'll deal with it. Just have patience!!

How is she acting? Is she on formula? Usually if shes spitting up a lot thats a sign of reflux (especially if shes breastfed). Colic is more like they are screaming in pain for some reason? I went through this with my baby 2 months ago, I had to figure it out on my own because the doctors didnt know for sure. You can ask me anything if you need to. Just thinking about it stresses me out! We got through it as soon as I figured out what was wrong.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's kind of the same thing. I have three kids and my oldest was before they knew much about Acid Reflux, so they just called in colic. My third child acted the same way she did, but when they started her on Axid, he got better and didn't do the crying thing any more. It took about 7 to 10 days for it to really get in his system, but I noticed an improvement from the first or second day and it progressively got better! Good luck!

D. S.
WorkAtHomeUnited
www.WAHU2DAY.com

First of all, I think if you suspect either colic or acid reflux, you should talk to your pediatrician. Keep track of how much the baby cries and sleeps in a 24-hour period and call the doctor!

There's no cure for colic, but there are methods you could use to deal with it better. I strongly recommend that you read "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Marc Weissbluth (http://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Sleep-Habits-Happy-Child/dp...)

AND if your baby fits the definition of colic... try "Your Fussy Baby" also by Marc Weissbluth (http://www.amazon.com/Your-Fussy-Baby-Marc-Weissbluth/dp/...)

Also, don't underestimate the power of swaddling! Wrapping them up tight can work wonders. Most likely your baby is just doing normal newborn stuff. Good luck.

If she's throwing up, it's probably reflux. Other than that, I don't think you can know for sure without seeing a pediatrician. Hope for reflux, because even though it's a booger, and the treatment is expensive, it's totally controllable. I think with colic, you just have to wait it out. Been there (with the reflux), and I sympathize. Good luck.

1 / 3