Colds

Hi Moms,
I have an almost three year old and a ten month old who have a really bad cough and stuffy nose (courtsey of another child at a party!!) They have had it about a week and it does not seem to be getting better. My pediatrician has seen them both and said that it will heal itself in time and they are too young for OTC meds. Any idea of things I can do to make them more comfortable and speed up recovery that does not involve medicine? Thanks so much and Happy New Year!

Please read my article on preventing/treating flu and colds on my blog http://ecobabyz.blogspot.com/2008/12/vitamin-d-key-to-avo... . I hope that helps!

I know there have been a lot of great responses..but I just want to stress how great the baby vicks rub works (for my two boys anyway). I put it on their feet and chest at night and it helps with the cough (and sometimes congestion).

I have had a lot of success preventing and treating colds homeopathically. Hylands has a homeopathic remedy called Sniffles and Sneezes. I also use Boiron's Coldcalm for kids. A lot of CVS stores are starting to carry homeopathic remedies. You can also try Whole Foods or any natural foods if you are lucky enough to have one near you. Those stores usually have someone on hand who can give you some advice. Homeopathic remedies are 100% safe, my pediatrician is fine with me treating my daughter(now 3) homeopathically - I've done it for colds, teeething, gas pains, cuts and bruises, etc. since she was an infant. The worse thing that can happens is you pick the wrong remedy and it doesn't work. I used to dissolve the pellets in a few drops of warm water and squirt them in her mouth when she was a baby.

I start to treat my daughter at the first sign of a cough or a sniffle. We haven't had any colds yet this year.

Another tip I received from a friend last year was to put Vicks Vapo Rub on the soles of the feet to stop a cough. I know it sounds crazy but it worked for us last year when nothing else did.

One last point I would make is that I would definitely bring them to the Dr. again if that cough persists. We live in West Hartford and several kids in our circle have had to be treated with antibiotics for walking pneumonia this year. I don't want to suggest you panic but that you keep an eye on it and trust your instincts if it doesn't go away.

Good luck to you and your little ones!

They will get better! Unfortunately, clods take a lot of time. My only advice is to give them fairly warm/hot long baths , or just steam up the bathroom and sit there with them! With your baby, I have found that raising the crib (with those slanted nats they sell... or anything safe stuffed under one side of the mattress!), so the baby sleeps on a slant is always helpful-especially with the coughing. It relieves the post nasal drip. Good luck!

Keep them well hydrated and use a humidifier in their room when they are asleep. I have also heard you can use your bathroom as a steam room...this never worked for me.

Good luck...the winter can be long when you have sick kids!!

H. Z. (SAHM 5, 4 and 18 month old boys)

chicken broth and miso soup; honey with lemon for your older one; freshly squeezed citrus juices, fresh red peppers, cantaloups (high vitamin c foods); if they will tolerate garlic, this is an immune booster that you could add to foods you cook. FYI, you could start a probiotic with both of them, which helps boost immunity and may help prevent them from getting sick for the rest of the year, or at least help them get less severely sick. Whole Foods has probiotics for children/infants. Also, homeopathics are available and safe and best taken at the initial onset of symptoms (also available at Whole Foods). If their throats are sore, maybe making smoothies with frozen fruit would be soothing too. Avoid dairy as this can increase mucus production.
I hope they feel better soon!

Hi Mom,
I have children the same ages and I know the hopeless feeling you get when they have colds. The only thing that I do is prop their mattresses with pillows and run a humidifier at night. Other than that there is not much you can do and for my kids it does seem to last a good 10 days before I see real progress of them getting better. Good luck and hope the rest of the season is healthy for you.

vicks on the bottom of the feet (with socks) will help a night time cough...I don't know why but it just does. also the nasal strips that go on the outside of the noses help them breath at night so they can sleep. They come in children sizes and work wonders! I hope that helps! I make sure my kids get fresh cold air especially when sick it helps to get the nose running instead of stuffy so they can blow all the extra moucus out.

Hi M.

I'll tell you what my Pedi told me when my kids were young. He had me give both my kids Children's Tylenol, 1/2 dose for both kids(my kids are 4 yrs apart, so similar to yours) with the med. dropper. If your baby was under 6 months I wouldn't give any. My son was actually 8 months during his first winter and my daughter 6 months. The Dr. just told me to do half the smallest dose listed on the bottle.

I only did it at night so they could sleep and their bodies could fight it off the rest of the day. You can also try a vaporizer with Kaz. It's a liquid similar to Vicks that goes right in the water of the vaporizer (Walmart I believe sells it)

H.

I know what it's like when both kids catch a cold. I always make sure the head of his bed his raised, I use a humidifier to keep the air moist and not dry, I use the vapor rub on their chest, I give them vapor baths (I think Cotton Tails puts it out) with some steam. Make sure they are getting lots of fluids, saline drops for the nose. That's really the best you can do even though you feel like it's not enough sometimes. You just feel badly for them. Colds generally do take a week or longer to go away. I would say that if they still have it with fevers and bad coughs, you may want to have them checked out again.

1 / 3