Cold Juice Out of the Fridge ?

My son is now over 6 months old and i have been wondering...
He can now have juice but i have been letting it sit out for a while to let it get room temp.
Can he have his juice and water cold, right out of the fridge ?
Also he is eating his solid foods 3 times a day now(he is a good eater), he was getting four 8oz. bottles of formula each day.
I have been told that now he will start to drink less formula...how much less?
Should i make the bottles only 5-6 oz. ?
He is 6.5 months old and he weighs 19lbs, but i still want to make sure he is getting enough of what he needs.

my husband was too lazy to even warm up a bottle. So Hannah had cold milk, cold water etc since she was 3 months old. Dont let it bother you.

Cold is fine as long as baby likes it. Both my boys would only take cold formula or water. Yes, the more solids the less calories are needed from formula, but I would think twice about cutting back too much on the formula this early. The formula should be the primary nutrient source at this age. The introduction of solids at this point is just an introduction, not a full meal, just a supplement. If your son was 9 or 10 months I'd say yes cut back more signifcantly, but 6 months is very early. Our pediatrician didn't even want us to start any solids until after turned 6months and then it was one at a time over a 3 day period to rule out allergies. The earlier you introduce multiple solids the more possiblity for food allergies to develop. Watch out for gastrointestinal upset, bloating, gas, diarrhea and fine facial rashes around mouth or cheeks. Those tend to be the most common signs of food intolerance. Water is great and much healthier and better for new teeth. Juice is mostly sugar (even the 100% natural kind is natural sucrose - still sugar & fairly empty calories). An occasional juice (1/2 juice and 1/2 water)is okay, but be careful...many kids will decide that juice is great and no longer want the formula and that can be a nightmare. Some moms will introduce juice when they are ready to intoduce the sippy cup later so that the sippy cup is exciting for those little ones who don't want to give up the bottle. It makes weaning from the bottle easier sometimes. Good luck with whatever you choose. I'm sure you'll do fine. It is impossible to know it all as a mom and it is great to have a place to go and ask others!

Hi D.. I am A.- Mommy to Emma age 3 and Baby Ella, who is also a December baby- born 12/25/06. I use the Dr. Sears book "The Baby Book" as my "baby bible" for any and all of my baby questions (or I call my pediatrician when it's a more urgant concern). According to Dr. William Sears' "Baby Book", there is no magic age to introduce juice but he suggests around 9 months- if you can, maybe hold off so your Luke still gets the majority of his nutrition from formula rather than those empty calories from juice. Also, he suggests white grape juice, due to the fact that the baby's tiny intestines will more easily absorb it because of it's "sugar profile". He also says that you may run the risk of juice having a laxative effect on your baby if you give too much of it. He says to avoid apple, orange, and lemon because they are too acidic. He recommends: age 6-12 months- no more than 4 oz of juice a day. I've heard of pediatricians saying NEVER give juice to a baby, but I guess a little won't hurt. Also, be sure to dilute the juice, according to Dr. Sears with equal parts juice/water. Room temp water will make the juice warmer for sure. I don't think you should cut back AT ALL on the formula and to quote Dr. Sears, "Consider solids an addition to and not a substitute for breastmilk or formula". By the way, what does Luke like most to eat? So far, Ella is very "into" sweet potato and peas- she hates pears and applesauce, but I know babies have to try a food upwards of 10 times on different occasions to really be sure. I love this age- so cute, right? Hope this helps. Happy eating and drinking!
-A.

you probably noticed by now that different pediatricians have different ways and will tell you different things. i have 3 kids and am also a dental hygienist. most will tell you that as long as your baby is eating fruit there really is no need for him/her to drink juice..they need fiber and vitamins but juice it is full of sugar and preservatives and other chemicals.they really dont need it until the age of a 9 months, and even then you should be only giving 4 oz a day diluted half juice / half water you especially shouldnt give it to them in a bottle cause it will cause their tiny delicate teeth to decay.. and it will fill them up so that they dont want or need to drink as much formula.. at the age of 6 months you probably dont want to cut back on the amount of formula your baby drinks because formula is their primary source of nutrition. at this age i believe it is only nessasary to give them water if they are having constipation problems.. if your baby is fine with cold liquids then thats ok, but roomtemperature is much more soothing on their tummies.. hope this helps.. and good luck

I don't see that there is a problem with cold juice. If he likes it that way, go for it. My daughter liked it cold. My doctor told me not to give more than 6 oz of juice a day because of the amount of sugar in it. I still follow that and my daughter's 3.
So far as him taking less formula, he'll give you clues if he needs less. For example: really slowing down or difficulty finishing a bottle, or if he forces it down he may spit up after. Trust your instincts. You'll know what to do.
God Bless
H. H.

I would say always trust the cues your baby is giving you. If he isn't finishing his bottles, then make smaller bottles. If he will take his juice cold, great, it's easier for you. Some babies like the cold on their gums, others have beed so used to having warm formula or breast milk that cold drinks are a shock, so try different things and see what works for your baby.

It really depends on the child. If he likes it cold and he is over 6mths go for it! It holds the same properties either way! ( one serving of 100% fruit juice equals one of 5 servings of fruits and veggies they should get a day!) Good luck!

Hey D.! Usually my daughter won't drink water if it's cold. I think it chills her mouth and throat so room temperature or slightly cool is best for her. Also, she was doing about 4 7oz bottles a day around 6months. I basically adjusted what I gave her based on what she didn't drink in her bottle. If she left about an ounce or so then I would adjust the next bottle to 1 ounce less. Now, at 10 months, she's having 3 meals a day plus 4 6ounce bottles. However, I find that she doesn't drink as much around lunch or dinner so then I'll sometimes give her 8 ounce bottles at her bedtime feeding. My doctor told me at her 9 month check up that she should have between 20 and 25 ounces a day. Have fun!

1 / 3