Cold Hands and Feet

I have tried to bundle my son up at night to keep him warm but he kicks off his blankets at night and wakes up with cold hands and feet. He has never really been a snuggler so getting him all bundled up is really hard. I put him in fuzzy warm sleepers at night but it doesn't help. Our heat is on at night and set for 68 degrees (which my husband hates because he likes the cold). If he keeps the blankets on he is usually ok. He also has been waking up at night (unlike normal) and this is when he is kicking the blankets off. I think he is teething again - 6.5 months and already has the bottom 2 teeth- working on the top ones now. I can't keep getting up to cover him up so I am looking for suggestions on how to keep him warm. Thanks!

I found the sleep sacks work wonders!! You can put them in jammies, then a sleeper over the jammies, and then the sleep sack. keeps them nice and cozy. It really worked wonders w/my youngest.

Try thick socks under his sleeper and possibly put a onesie underneath as well. With my son, the warmer I kept his middle the warmer his feet and hands were.
Sleep sacks are great too.

I vote for you to turn up the heat. He may have an easier time sleeping through the night this way too. A warm house is part of having babies! If that's out of the question, what about footed pj's, or a blanket sleeper over lighter cotton pj's? Blankets can be dangerous for a 6 month old anyway! Good luck :)

Sleep sacks are great too.

I was going to suggest the sleeper blanket (sleep sack) too. We were given one in the hospital when my daughter was born in August. They just started using them back in March. They are really great because they have a swaddle patch that is removable when your baby gets older and becomes the sleep blanket. My daughter has really cold hands sometimes too. The sleep sack keeps her feet warm and she can't kick it off like a blanket. I put a blanket on top as well and since her feet are inside the sack she can't kick the blanket off either. As for her hands, I haven't found an answer for that, but they don't seem to bother her. We have our temp set at 64 at night, but it hasn't been cold enough to get down to that. I still bump it up to 70 or 71 for the baby.
Tell your husband to open a window in your bedroom to make it cold <smile> It's more important for the babies to be warm.

I had the same problem with my child so I bought a baby sleeping bag which was wonderful. It had enough room for her to move a little, but not enough to get tangled up. She slept really well in this and it lasted for about a year. I got it from the internet, if you google baby in a bag that should do it.

a couple of suggestions.
1. have you tried a sleep sack? It is like a little sleeping bag that they put their arms through so it can't be kicked off. It wont help the hands I suppose but it should help with the feet which might keep the rest of thim warm.
2. for the waking up, it might not just be the cold or teeth, my son is 6 month old and we just went through something where he was wakng up at night, that was because his last meal of cereal to was too early in the evening. I moved the cereal to his last feeding of the night and that seemed to help. Just a thought.

I was going to suggest the same thing...socks under his jammies and socks on his hands...also try some t-shirts or other layers under the jammies.

There are a number of SAFE space heaters on the market today that can quickly and efficiently warm a single room while the temperature in the rest of the house can remain cool. Do some research on the various types and models available and I bet you will find something that you can feel comfortable using.

1 / 3