Coffee While Pregnant

Hello Ladies,

Just wanted to know if any moms drank coffee while they were pregnant and had colic infants? I know that the recommended amount of coffee per day is 150-300mg while no consumption is preferred. I was just wondering if there was any correlation between the two? I have given up coffee 99% with the second one, and my first gave it up 100% but every once in a blue moon i'll have a cup....and boy do i miss it :-)

Much love to all!

Hi J.. I am a coffee lover too. I have to admit I drank about 1 cup a day when I was pregnant with both my boys (now 3 and 19 months) and they didn't have any colic. Not saying that it was absolutely a good idea but I spoke to my doctor and read up on it and it just didn't seem like it was a problem to have a little bit every morning.

I drank about a cup of coffee a day my entire pregnancy (sometimes none, sometimes a little more), and nothing happened to my son in regards to colic or anything else. I don't know if this helps, but it was what my experience was! Congrats and good luck! ~M.

My doctor insisted that coffee was fine unless extremely excessive. Still, for my first, I didn't drink it. For my second, I said, "screw this" and drank one or two weak cups a day every day in the morning. My baby isn't collicky or nervous or anything. Have some yummy delicious coffee!

I am not a coffee drinker, but I couldnt never give up my Coke. I drank Coke, usually 1 or 2 cans/day, with all 3 of my pregnancies. I tried to drink only 1/day during the 1st trimester and then increased it to 2 druing the 2nd/3rd, knowing the 1st trimester is the most important for development. I didnt have trouble with colic with any of my children. They have all been very healthy, very good sleepers, with no stomach issues.
I did have one misarrage, but I do not believe it was caffiene related.
Congratulations!

I did drink coffee while I was pregnant. However, recent studies have linked caffeine to miscarriage. Google caffeine and miscarriage and you will find it. I think an occasional cup would be okay, but it is a little scary! If you have risk, I would avoid it.

Congrats! Haven't read other moms responses. All I can tell you is that I had a cup of coffee everyday with all three of my children and none had colic. #3 I actually had 2 cups a day toward the end and she is the most laid back and easy going of all.

Hey J. - I drank coffee with both my pregnancies and had no issues. I'm a L&D nurse and sometimes recommend to patients that an 8 oz cup in the morning may also help constipation as it is a gastrointestinal stimulant. Everything in moderation. Too much caffeine can cause dehyration which leads to contractions. Hope this helps.

Hi J.
I had 3 toddlers when I was pregnant so I had to drink coffee or I would of passed out. I think a cup or 2 is fine! I avoided it in the 1st trimester. Good luck. N.

1 / 3