Cloth Diapers - North Ridgeville, OH

We are having our third child in December and my husband and I have decided to try out cloth diapers. I was just wondering what brands people have used and any suggestions you have as well.

I started using cloth diapers on my 18 month old about 5 months ago and after A LOT of research I got the "BumGenius 3.0" and I LOVE IT. Don't let anyone tell you its too much work because it's not. they wash (in cold water w/ very little soap) completely clean and its great not worrying about running out for more diapers. Try it, you will probably prefer cloth once you get the hang of it.

Hi, I'm expecting my third and making the transition to cloth, too. Congratulations! I am using cloth at night and naptime for my 3 year old. And it's working out great. The most economical way to go about it would be prefolds and plain old plastic pants. I have heard so many good things about Bum Genius and I have a friend who uses them. I'm trying to save up for a stash of those as well. Dappi makes a nice breathable totally waterproof plastic pants cover if you're not too concerned about how cute they look. I have ordered diapers from Green Mountain Diapers (they have a TON of information on their website, so at least go nose around to learn), Cotton Babies, and Punkin Butt. It really isn't hard and my daughter likes the way they feel better. Good luck!

I am using cloth with my third and love them. I use Bumgenius. Diapers.com has the best pricing and if you google "coupon codes" you can get a $10 off coupon for first time users!

Kissaluvs and fuzzybunz are the two that i have tried and most of my friends have used. kissaluvs need covers and snap to close, fuzzybunz have absorbant inserts and are lined on the outside with a waterproof barrier (no cover needed) with velcro to close. both are great, some sites let you buy an assortment to try out. go to www.earthybirthymama.com , it is a friend of mines site or if you sew www.diapershop.com / will forward you to www.verybaby.com.

good luck

I have heard good things about Fuzzy (Fuzzi?) Bunz diapers. I use disposable diapers because of cost. I know that over time, cloth diapers definitely save money, but it's a higher 'start-up' cost than we can afford at one time. Plus, we have to pay to do our laundry and we barely have enough money to cover that (actually don't as we have at least 10-15 loads of laundry that need to be done). Otherwise, I would definitely give them a try.

God bless,
A.

Hi M.. I'm glad to hear you are going cloth. It is a bit more work & money initially, but I think it is worth it in the long run. I haven't seen anyone who mentioned Mother Ease. That is the brand we use. Some friends of ours recommended them to us. Here it their website: http://www.mother-ease.com/
Well, I hope having one more choice doesn't make the decision even more difficult for you! But I can only speak about what I use & these are it.
They are a one size fits all & are adjustable so you don't have to buy different sizes of the diapers, just of the covers & you only need about 4 of each size for those. They have plastic snap closures, so no need to mess with diaper pins. They come with washing & care instructions.
I usually wash diapers about every 2 to 3 days. It's not bad really. I take one day off a week & use disposables, just for a break.
The only thing about these is they are bulky & your baby will need bigger size clothes to fit over them. :) Also, I suspect that using cloth has slowed down our sons progress of rolling over (also because of the bulk), but he finally has begun to roll over at nearly 6 months!
I hope you find something you really like!

Ignore the woman who said you are out of your mind - I just switched to cloth and prefer it much more. The work isn't that much and I love not spending $50 at Sam's on diapers and wipes. Also, as many of the sites say "these ain't your mama's cloth diapers!"

When I did switch, I did a lot of research on it and wanted to make it as easy as possible. I think the pocket diapers do that. I haven't found the ideal one yet, but Bum Genius, Happy Heiny's, Bum Wear, and Wonderoos(Wonderworks) seem to work well. I'm still looking for a great one size pocket diaper with snaps instead of velcro (I'm afraid the velcro will wear out after one baby).

I'd suggest getting one size pockets b/c then you don't have to buy 2 or 3 different sizes of diapers. I do have to qualify that with I never used these on tiny babies, but the posts I've read say they work well at about 10 pounds and up.

The pocket diapers are nice because they have the cover, absorbent core, and a material to wick wetness away from the baby's skin all together.

A good place to see reviews of diapers is www.diaperpin.com. They have a reviews link at the top of the home page. Let me know if you have any other questions - I haven't been doing this long, but I actually have been really happy we switched to cloth. Good luck and congrats on #3! PS My kids are 3 yrs, 19 months, and I'm due in February. Sounds like we're in the same boat!

I used both Fuzzi Bunz and Kushies for our daughter. I ended up liking the Kushies ultra because they come in two sizes (10-22lbs and 22lbs+) so you don't have to buy a ton of extra diapers. Fuzzi Bunz come in three sizes (small, medium and large) and you really need to buy three sets of these to use the diapers all the way to potty training. They are all-in-ones (AIO) so you also don't have to go through the trouble of folding a prefold into a cover or restuffing the insert into the pocket after the wash. They are bulkier than Fuzzi Bunz, but by the time the baby gets to be 2 or 3 months old, you won't even notice the difference as they will fit so well. Kushies are also much cheaper. Fuzzi Bunzs are around $15-17 a pair and Kushies are about $8-10. I have a rotation of around 25-30 Kushies right now and we do the wash every 2 or 3 days. You can order Kushies online at Wal-Mart for less than $8 a pair and get them delivered to your local store for free shipping.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4601012

This site is also great for buying gently used cloth diapers from other cloth diapering mamas (it also neat if you want to try out one or two diapers from a brand).

www.diaperswappers.com

M., I know you have already rec'd quite a few good responses, but I just want to chime in as well that you should definitely go cloth. I purchased BumGenius one size diapers. They were a splurge, but so much better than messing with prefolds that you have to fold and pin, etc. The BumGenius are easy, go on just like a disposable, and wash so easily. For me, the biggest reason to go cloth was the social responsibility I felt for the environment. I try to do my part, and I just couldn't stand the thought of contributing so many disposible diapers to landfills! For that reason alone, its worth it.

1 / 3