Cloth Diapers? - Suffolk,VA

I am expecting with my first child. I very much want to use cloth or hybrid diapers for environmental reasons; however, I find myself completely terrified at the prospect of it. I was initially thinking I would try gDiapers because I thought that would be a good compromise. Now, I am also looking at Bum Genius. My concern is how much more difficult is it to use these diapers than disposable? Like I said, this is my first time, and I have a lot to learn. I have some pretty basic concerns, including, but not limited to: how do I store the dirty diapers before cleaning, how much do I really have to clean them off before actually washing them, how long does all this take, are they really better for the baby, how many do you really need, and ultimately, is all this extra effort really worth it? I know I will be juggling a lot of new responsibilities along with my current demanding responsibilities, so I just want to make sure this is something that is possible and worth it. All of my friends with children use or used disposables, so they are absolutely no help on this front. I look forward to hearing what you have to say!

Thanks,
H.

I want to thank all of you ladies for providing me with such great information! I really do appreciate it! While I can't tell you the ultimate outcome since the baby is not yet here, I can tell you what my plans are. Based on your suggestions, I will likely buy a variety of different types of cloth diapers to try out, and see what works best for the baby. I also am going to look into investing in one of those spray nozzles that attaches to the toilet for help in cleaning. I know a few of you suggested I could dunk it in the toilet, but I have low flow toilets, and quite honestly, just the tip end would even get wet. It was also suggested that I wait a couple of weeks after the baby was born to make the transition into cloth, so I will probably go the disposable diaper route until the umbilical cord falls off. I haven't yet been able to locate a diaper service in my area, which I can't say is all that surprising given that this is the first week curbside recycling has even been available here (and it cost $12 a month, whereas trash pickup is free). So the plan now is I will clean them - hopefully, it is as easy as you say! Thanks again for all of your help and support!

I have loved cloth diapering. My favorites are the bum genius and I use the bum genius diaper detergent. I order it from cottonbabies.com along with the diapers. I did the math and it doesn't cost anymore to do the laundry with the diaper detergent so it just made sense. When my son was breast feeding I was using pocket diapers so I pulled the inserts out and threw them just as they were into a washable water proof bag (also from cottonbabies.com) then I wash the bag when I was the diapers and nothing builds up smell. Now that he eats solid food and does solid poops I would dump them out into the toilet before putting them in the diaper bag. Even if you are using disposables you are supposed to flush the poop so that the waste is handled through the sewage treatment plant, although most people dont do this.

I have saved so much money by using cloth diapers. I started cloth diapering when my son was 2 months old and not making quite as many poops so my stash has only ever been 24 diapers. I have a smaller washable waterproof bag to keep in my diaper bag for the dirty diapers when I change him when we are out. I do occasionally put my son in disposables for convenience but I dont feel bad about it becuase 99% of the time he is in cloth.

My husband and babysitters have never had any problem with the bum genius diapers. After I wash the diapers I stuff all the inserts back into them and then they are ready to go. When a diaper change happens I just grab one off of the shelf and put it on. I have saved about $1500 on diapers by my calculations.

I also just wash all the diapers myself in my washer and dryer. They come with wash instructions. It is really easy and I am so glad that I have done it. I am looking forward to my second child so I can get a fresh stash of diapers and do it all again!

It was 12 years ago but I recall it being no big issue at all. I put the dirty diapers (poop and all) into a diaper pail (lined with a washable/reusable bag). When the stack of diapers (about 20 - 30) was down I soaked them in the washer in hot water and Bac Out. Then ran the regular wash cycle. It was worth it to me.

bum genious will be very easy as far as using them. you put them on, thats it.

you need a diaper pail, no lid is actually better. you will be washing diapers either every day or every other day. not only because thats how many diapers babies us, but because most people cant afford 70 diapers for a weeks worth. most likely you can buy 2 days and wash when you are down to a few left. you throw them in, when you are ready you cold rinse, wash once with detergent and hot, once with no detergent, and one extra rinse. if you have good water, you may not have to do both wash cycles.

are you breastfeeding? if so, you really have to do nothing, the poop just rinses completely. if you formula feed or once you start solids, get a diaper spayer, they are super easy to hook up. you just rinse off the poop with the sprayer as much as you can, and put it in the pail. you may want to spray them with something like BAC OUT but when you wash enough, poop smell doesnt exist. i dont. the actual time of cleaning a diaper takes one minute, but this is only for solid poop after eating solids. pee goes right in pail. your only extra time is doing the laundry, thats it. if you are out, you put them in a wetbag and take care of them when you get home. if your baby has formed stools, they will just fall into the toilet, no work at all.

for some sensitive babies they are better, they let babies learn the feeling of wetness sooner. you just have to make sure to change as much as you can, hopefully not leaving a baby in a wet diaper. i would say you need 20 diapers, but in the beginning will do washings daily. as your baby gets older, they use less so you wont wash as much. one size can save money since they can last the entire time, but they are bulkier on little babies. i personally dont think g diapers are worth it. they end up costing quite a bit over the long haul, and people seem to use them but then end up with disposables. they are too close.

if you care about the environment and are saddened that diapers may take up to 500 years to break down, its worth it. if you read pampers labels, you arent even supposed to put the poop in the garbage in a disposable, says right on it. diapers make up like 3% of all landfill waste, but the first diapers ever are still there. every diaper you dont use helps the environment for your kids and grandkids. if you find your are overwhelmed in the beginning, take a break and regroup around 3 months. if you cant do it at night, dont. if you want to start for a month only in your house, go for it. any diaper is a help. if you can just get in a washing routine, you are fine, that is the only thing that is more work, but i believe helping the planet is worth it.

and look into cloth wipes and never buy disposable swim diapers. even this would help a great deal

BG are as easy to use as sposies. You just have some wash to do. It's no big deal. I bought a large garbage can at Target, bought a large wet/dry bag, adn I just throw the diapers in there, and at the end of the day, I throw them in the washing machine (cold rinse, hot wash, extra rinse).

If your diapers start to stink when pee hits them, that means you are using too much detergent. Use a good detergent, like Rockin Green.

You don't have to clean them off until you start them on solids, and then, you'd have to clean out the sposie anyway (human waste is not suppose to go into our landfills!)

You will save a fortune, and it really isn't much more work.

Hi H. -
We have used cloth for both of our kids and most of our friends use cloth too. The diapers you use will depend on your baby and your laundry as well as preference and cost, so there is no one size fits all. I would look at diaperswappers.com, diaperpin.com, and the mothering.com boards to get more information and ideas about the different types of diapers and washing systems. We use fitted diapers and covers or all in ones and really love them. It's easy, we rarely if ever have accidents, and the laundry is no big deal. There may be a store close to you - we have an online one who is local in Northern VA - Stephanie at Abby'slane.com - who is a really great resource. When we were first looking into cloth, DH and I went over to her house and she gave us a Cloth 101 to help us figure out how it all works. I'm more than happy to share more - just let me know!

Hi H.,
You can do it! It seems scary at first but it's really not that bad....and this coming from a person who hates laundry! Plus you save so much money. I used gdiapers with flushable inserts with my first (which I still really like for the versatility of being able to use cloth and disposable in the same diaper), but for my son I decided to go full cloth. So with him I now use cloth inserts (prefolds and gcloth) in my gdiapers, and also pocket diapers (fuzzi bunz) and fitted diapers with covers. It's good to try a bunch of different diapers out first before you find something that you like. There are places online that do diaper trials where you try them out. You then keep what you like and return what you don't.

There is lots of info on the web. The following sites are some of my favorites for getting started:

http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/basics.htm

http://www.diaperjungle.com/index.html

http://www.nappyshoppe.com/store/index.php?main_page=page...

Honestly I think the best thing you can do is first watch this cloth diapering video tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/user/JaimeeGleisner#g/a

It's in 7 short video installments (approx 30 minutes total), but it's from a MD woman who does cloth diapering workshops and she goes over the different types of diapers, how much you'd need of each, the cost, laundering, diapering accessories, terminology, etc. It's a nice compilation and I direct anybody considering cloth diapering to watch it first. It'll give you some place to start and I wish I'd seen it first when I started out.

Take care and enjoy cloth diapering!

Hi H.,

I just started CDing with my third child when she was 5 months old. I too was terrified but now wish I had started with my first. I really do NOT find it any more difficult that using disposables. I purchased a couple of 'wet bags' that keep the mess in, and put my dirty diapers in there. I also got a diaper sprayer that is like a shower head attached to your toilet.....it's a power blast that gets all the poop off. I wash every other day or every two days, depending on how fast she goes through her diapers. I do a short cold wash (30 min), and longer hot wash (about an hour) than an extra warm rinse (30 min). I then dry them all in the dryer for an hour or line dry (which sometimes is done in 30 minutes) I second contacting Stephanie at Abbyslane.com. She is local and has tons of info. I also did a diaper trial with diaperdaisy.com to see what worked best for my baby and for me. My fears were poop (which totally comes off with the sprayer) and nighttime leaks...my baby sleeps 12+ hours in a bumgenius with an added insert and we've never had a leak! The only 'problem' I have is how many cute diapers there are and my budget LOL.

I used cloth for both of mine and it amounted to about 2 extra loads of laundry per week. They are 9 and 12 now and I still have some of the diapers left which are very handy for spills, drying the car after washing, etc. You will need to find a high quality diaper, I found chinese cotton prefolds to be the best and used a cover that was cotton with polyurathane between the layers and had velcro enclosures. I still have the tiny newborn wraps which my daughter uses on her stuffed animals and dolls. The brand I used was called cot'n wrap. The only downside on them would be that eventually the velcro would not hold as well and so I would use a mitten clip to hold it. I had a covered bin for soiled diapers. While traveling or on outtings, I would carry large ziploc bags to put the dirty ones in. You can either hold the soiled diaper in the toilet by the edge and then flush, letting the water do the work for you, or you can use a select-a-size paper towel to line the diapers with. It all sounds like a big deal but like I said before, it really just comes down to 2 extra loads a week. As long as you have plenty of diapers that are high quality and additional wraps it is not a huge deal and really makes an impact on the environment and your pocketbook. After the initial investment you no longer have that expense, which is huge if you have priced diapers. I would recomment using disposables for the first couple of days until the meconium poop passes as that stuff is like tar and stains horribly. Chances are someone will give you some disposables anyway. Look online for anything else you need and feel free to pick my brain as well. Good luck and good choice!

Hi H.,

I started using cloth diapers about 4 mos ago, when baby #2 was about 9 mos old. I really love it, thanks in large part due to experimenting with different diapers before purchasing a specific brand. There's a website called www.cutecaboose.com where you can get a trial package of MANY different types of diapers to see what works best for you (if any) before you commit to buying a bunch of one kind. For me, I was so sure that I was going to go with bumGenius, but when I tried them they did not work as well for my guy as FuzziBunz and Thirsties.

Whatever you do not use of the trial package you mail back, and you will get a refund or credit for everything (less a $10 processing fee.) This was a really great way for me to see what worked well. I believe shipping is free as well.

1 / 3