Cloth Diapering - Pataskala,OH

So mama's, I want to know what everyone thinks about cloth diapering. First off let me start by saying that I am not sure I will CD but I am very open to the idea. The major reason why, is that my Baby Shower is April 17th and the invitations were sent with a note about a diaper raffle. Will I regret taking all those diapers back? If I choose to do that do you think that I can get all of the money back to put towards cloth diapers? I know that CD with save money in the long run but forking out $300+ at one time is kinda scary when I'm not completly sold. So......Pros, Cons, the good, bad, ugly. I wanna know! I have seen FuzziBunz and BumGenious in person and I am impressed. I read some reviews from brands sold at Babies R Us and they are kinda all over the place. Is it worth it to spend a little more on these brands that I have listed? Thanks in advance Mama's!

EDIT** so what kind of detergent does everyone use? Are the non chemical detergents that are reccommended actually useful? My husband and I are mostly concerned about sanitation. Our other clothes etc. In other words if I use non-chemical detergents for everything am I going to feel clean and does the washing machine really clean out aALL residue?

Yes, spend the extra money on the BG or Fuzzi's.

I asked for cloth diapers at my shower and ended up with over half my stash. It was great. I'm using them on my second kid now, and let me just say, I've saved a small fortune! My daughter also potty trained early (in trainers at 18 months, 99% trained at 23 months). I know it was because of the cloth.

BumGenius all the way! So worth it for the cost. You can get 12 for $200, which sounds like a lot up front, but just think of the fact that you don't need to buy more after that. I can answer any questions you have about them, but I am totally on the Pro side, so I will be a bit biased.

Oh, and I got my husband sold on the BumGenius too, and that is saying something. He now swears by them and tells all the expectant moms at his work about them. :)

I am a part-time cloth-diaperer, which is the best of both worlds for MY family (not for every family). I'm a SAHM, and we cloth-diaper while at home or while out for short errands. CD need to be changed more frequently than disposables, and so I find that they're a pain if we are out of the house for a long time. We also use disposables at night because our son needs Overnights, and wakes up when he's wet, so cloth won't work.

Having said that, I love cloth-diapering at home. It is really easy, and I think it's kind of fun. Plus, I feel so much better that I'm not as wasteful. I don't know where in Ohio Pataskala is, but if you're near Cincinnati, the Park + Vine has a wonderful selection of cloth diapers and they will give you a free explanation of all of them. I bought two Fuzzi Bunz, two Bum Genius, two Tinkle Traps (made by a local Ohio WAHM, their website is http://www.tinkletraps.com/store/Default.asp ), and some prefolds with snappis. Then, after using them, I've gone back to buy more of what worked for us. I really like Bum Genius and I'm addicted to Tinkle Traps with Bummis Covers. They are my favorites by far. If you spend over $100 on cloth diapers at Park + Vine, you get a discount, as well.

I just keep a covered trash-can and a bucket under the changing table, and dirty diapers go right into the trash can, poopy diapers go in the bucket. Then, when I have a free moment, I go and dump the poop in the toilet and soak the diapers in the bucket in cold water for a little while. I wash the diapers every couple of days (I wash poopy diapers same day, usually), and it's really easy. I highly recommend that you keep some of the disposable diapers that you get, and trade others in for some cloth diapers. Try a couple different brands of cloth as well, and then you can sell or give away what you don't like and go ahead and purchase a couple more of the ones you like. I'd be happy to talk to you about it if you send me a PM. Good luck.

Love it Love it - would never go back. Loads of info here and Air Biscuits ROCK: http://www.mymammasmilk.com/WHYClothDiapers.html

i was given the bum genius all in one cd which i just love. I am a part time cd, I was full time but found my 8 mo has a super bladder and during the day she is on the go that disposables were better, but i use the cd at night for her since she is less active. They have these awsome "sheet" inserts that you put in for keeping the poop off the fabric and is also great if you have to put butt cream on their bottom. it says not to use cream but i have never had any issues. it is a bit more work with the "dirty" diaps but is worth it in the long run you will save a ton of money. In the beginning we only went throught one case of diaps every two months ( used when running errands or visiting friends). its worth a try. I have only 12 cds that i use you will be doing laundry every day, if you dont mind that, its great.

We used cloth on our 2 yr old and are now using them on our 2 month old. I found that my concerns about cloth diapering weren't at all an issue.

We also did it to save money and were concerned about spending so much on the fancy all in one diapers. We ended up using the prefolds and covers in the beginning and then switched to the fancy ones when we were sure we would stick with it. (would have just stuck with prefolds had we not been doing daycare)

Cloth is a lot easier than most people think. They make sprayers that attach to the toilet for rinsing the stool off the diaper. No dunking! (I was not about to stick my hand in the toilet!)

As far as the type of diaper, I would highly recommend buying the one size diapers. It will save you a ton of money and they really do work. We used them from about 3 wks of age all the way up to potty training. They just snap to adjust size. We have Bum Genius and Tiny Tush. The Bum Genius work great, but after all the use the Velcro isn't working so well. I'd go with ones that only have snaps, like Tiny Tush. I also just purchased econobum and love them. They are the prefold style. I prefer to have prefolds when I'm out bc they don't take up as much room in the diaper bag.

We have always used the Eco type detergents... I was afraid of ruining my investment. I like seventh generation. It's great and you can get it anywhere. I do add baking soda in the wash to help get the small out. We've never had an issue with "residue". If you are exclusively breastfeeding you don't even have to rinse. Sounds gross, but it's true. Once the baby starts solids or if you are formula feeding the sprayer is fantastic. The diapers don't affect our clothes.

It is super overwhelming when you are researching cloth. I found Green Mountain Diaper Comp's website to be the most helpful.

As you can see, cloth users love to talk diapers. ;) I'm sure you will get more info than you ever dreamed. Good luck!

Dear A.,
I just used regular, old fashioned cloth diapers on my daughter. She is 24 now and I never even heard of any of the things you mentioned as far as choices.
I really didn't intend to use cloth diapers, but she was terribly allergic to disposables. I found out the hard way when she had the worst rash on a baby I'd ever seen in my life and it was only where the diapers came in contact with her skin.
Cloth diapers are certainly not as convenient as disposables but you get used to them after a while. Like I said, in my case, with my first baby, I didn't have any choice it just all kind of came naturally. I didn't really know anything else.

I wish you the best and hope you get some great responses.

First, it isn't as hard as it seems to be. I think the most overwhelming thing is to try to sort through all of the options. I went with pocket diapers (like BumGenius and FuzziBunz) because I wanted it to be the most like disposables as possible. We've been very happy with the pockets and have pretty much stuck with them. I did add a few prefolds and covers in to stretch my stash to wash every 3 days.

A few things to keep in mind, I wouldn't buy too much of any one thing. I know some people have all the same diaper in their stash, but I find that as the baby grows and changes, my favorite diaper changes too.

The velcro (aplix) is easier to get on quickly and to get a more customized fit, but snaps hold up better. I found that I like the Happy Heiny velcro the best - it seems to hold up well and is very secure. You may have to clean out the aplix after 1-2 years (with a seam ripper), but I prefer it to my snaps now. BumGenius velcro does wear out fast, but they will give you replacements for free if you contact the company.

Also, a one size diaper does not fit a newborn. They are bulkier than a sized diaper, but it is cheaper to only have to buy one size. Most seem to fit around 10 pounds, but sometimes even later. Remember that most kids only need a small and a medium size before potty training, so you most likely won't need 3 sizes - maybe just 2. Many people find that newborns do really well in prefolds with covers. That may work in the beginning too. Prefolds seem intimidating, but if you just fold it in thirds and lay it in the cover it isn't too bad. Dirty diapers don't "fall" off quite as easily as on the microsuede or fleece of a pocket. Also, prefolds don't have that stay dry layer to help baby feel dry. It's all trade - offs!

As for the price, if you decide to stick it out for 6 months, your $300 investment will have paid for itself. Also, you can sell used diapers on Craigslist normally for around $10 each, so that would make your initial time to try and not lose money even shorter.

I would spend a little more to get good quality diapers. Generally, the ones they sell at Babies R Us are really just good for burp cloths. Good diapers are worth the investment!

I've had good luck with Tide and Eco Nuts for laundry. If you have any other questions, you can email me at ____@____.com. I haven't tried everything, but I'll tell you what I've found from my experience as a mom and a cloth diaper retailer. It is worth it - good luck!

1 / 3