Cloth Diaper Wipes

hello All!! I recently started using cloth diapers full-time. I have a WONDERFUL day-care provider thatwill do it at her home too...YEAH!! Anyways my question is how do I make cloth wipes? What is the process? Thanks for the help in advance. I thought cloth would be really hard at first---but now I love it!!

I liked the baby wash cloths...and if you buy them at Wal-mart they are nearly as cheap as making them yourself. You can find infant-grade terry cloth at some fabric stores...I bought a yard once and just cut it in to 5" squares...they didn't last as long as the hemmed washcloths but still worked quite well. I also cut up some old towels (ones that had become thin...new towels were too thick and not soft enough). I just used warm water with them because my son's little butt was so sensitive to anything else...the only other thing I tried that didn't irritate him was witch hazel.

NOTE: You keep going girl...God is with you! I'm a single f/t working mom too and for the past eight plus years of my son's life I wished I could be a SAHM too...but that wasn't the way it worked out for us.

In the old days regular wash cloths were used and washed with diapers.

Blessings to you!

I go back and forth with using cloth diapers. I started about a year ago, then my oldest that's in diapers outgrew the cloth, so I started using disposable, and my youngest in diapers was too small (in my opinion) to use cloth(I use the cheap Gerber diapers that you get at walmart, with the cheap covers and pins). However, I am about to start using cloth on my youngest and anytime I use cloth diapers I use cloth wipes. What I did was simple.....I cut up old socks (they are thick ones). Also, the baby wash cloths are great to use! I have 2 spray bottles. One with plain water and one with a mixture of water, baby oil, and baby bath. I found the recipe online when I did a search. The recipe I found called for 2 c water, 1 c baby bath, and 1 c baby oil. Personally I thought it was too much baby bath, lots of suds when I wiped, so I cut it down to 2 c water, 1 c baby oil, and 1/2 c baby bath. It works great for me. I found online that it's recommended to use spray bottles because if you mix the wipes with the solution, it increases the chances of it mildewing. I just spray the wipe when I need it, and voila. Using cloth wipes along with cloth diapers is so easy. You don't have to make sure you throw the wipe in the trash. Just throw it all in your dirty diaper container, and wash it all at the same time. Good luck and God bless!

I love cloth! I found that the disposable wetwipes were a hassle because then after wiping a poopy bottom what do you do with the wipes? I like using cloth and just leave them in the diaper and rinse them and wash them together.

i tried the flannel but found that it was worth buying some. I buy them from emibeans.com She has grab bags available so you can try different fabrics and sizes or you can get them on clearance sometimes too.

like another poster said, the velor and sherpa are really nice.

As for solution, I put water and tea tree oil in a spray bottle. tea tree oil is great for the skin and kills germs.

S., mom to 4 girls ages 2-6 and 1 boy, born sleeping March 8, 2009

I used the little baby wash cloths and just washed them along with the diapers. Easy. B.

PS: I read the other good responses and thought I should tell you how good Shaklee's Basic H2 in water works. My first grandson often took antibiotics due to ear infections. He stayed at a nursery and I don't know if that added to his diaper rash problem but when he came to my house for overnight......... usually staying about 24 hours, he got a good cleansing with Basic H solution and a covering of A and D Ointment with each diaper change. I know it made him feel better and he went home with a nice little bottom clear of rash. I love those babies!

If you get on diaperswappers.com there is a ton of information and WAHM that make wipes. I use Eli's wipes and they are less than $1 and GREAT quality. Let me know if you want any more information.

All I did to make my own cloth wipes was cut squares of t-shirt fabric. The ones you can buy (are expensive for what they are) are flannel (I think), but flannel frays unless you sew the edges - something I don't have time for. The t-shirt fabric curls some, but not so bad you can't use them.
For the solution, I just take about 1-1/2 cups water and add approx 1tsp of baby shampoo and equal amount or a little more of baby oil, stir and pour over wipes.
Make sure you rotate the wipes. Once you wash the used wipes, put the under the ones you haven't used yet so you don't end up with using the same ones over and over, while the other ones just sit there - make sense? I'VE also noticed that if I don't mix up enough solution, the wipes will start to have a musty odor.
Hope this helps! Good luck!

Hi B.,

Congratulations! On switching to cloth! I know after you get the system down and the first day it gets easier and easier. I am using only cloth. We are saving soooo much money! Anyway, I make my own cloth wipes and solution. I made the cloth wipes by just cutting up a few of the flannel type receiving blankets I had with pinking shears into rectangles. I folded the blanket into thirds and cut then into thirds again. This size fits into a plastic wipe container that I saved from the disposable wipes. They will fray a little but they have been working like a charm for the past 8 months. Let me know if you want a great receipe for cloth solution. I reuse one of the spray containers I have for my hair, cleaned it out and put my cloth wipe solution into and voila! You are ready to go! Hope this helps! Good luck!

1 / 3