Cloth Diaper Help Needed-too Many Choices!

I want to use cloth diapers (first baby due in Jan) and I can't decide - there are too many kinds. I bought a couple G-diapers but since they aren't traditional diapers I plan to use them as traveling diapers. I really want a true cloth diaper but one that is more modern - cute, not too bulky, and no pins to deal with. Any suggestions (and explainations on how to use them) would be greatly appreciated-thanks!

You have a lot of good info already, so I'll keep this short. I have tried the Chinese prefolds with a cover and they were so bulky she couldn't fit in to her pants! It is a cheap way to do it, and a good backup in case you run out if the ones you like to use, but I do not recommend them for daily diaper use.

By far my favorite it the Bumgenius 3.0 one size pocket diaper. It fits both my newborn and my 2 year old. It is so easy to use and not too bulky. Rarely leaks. (Only leaks if I don't change her as often as needed. But even disposables leak at that point.)

I just responded to the Mom whose cloth diapers broke down her washer. I was a Mom in the 60' and 70's. There must be a great number of diaper choices now than there were then. All I can do is repeat what I said to the other Mom:"What I wouldn't given for a paper diaper that actually taped onto the baby, didn't leak, didn't need rubber pants, didn't stink, and you could throw it away!!!

Way to go! There is really good info on the diaper sites (cottonbabies.com, abbyslane.com, nikkisdiapers.com), that will walk you through, and there was a good post with a summary. Here's what I wished I had known:

1. It helps to have a top loading washer-- I use it as used diaper storage by filling it with cold water and a scoop of baking soda (sam's club has the mongo boxes cheap), then washing the diapers every 2-3 days when the washer is full. Doesn't stink, diapers get squeaky clean, and it has NOT broken my really old Maytag washer!
2. Most of the modern diapers out there are really good. We found bumgenius one size fit our style best, and the new generation has a newborn insert (the full insert made the diaper pretty bulky for our baby when he was a newborn).
3. It's nice to have cloth wipes, too. Flannel or bamboo, and a wipes warmer. We mix a teaspoon or two of Diaper Lotion Potion to a gallon of water and put the wipes in the warmer and soak them with the water. Just the right dampness and smells nice, too. Then, you don't end up with disposable wipes fluff in the dryer with the clean diapers.
4. You can't use diaper rash cream with cloth diapers, as it makes them less absorbant, but our baby has been wearing cloth for 14 months, and hasn't had diaper rash yet!
5. I became a little intimidated with the lingo of cloth diapering, and what seemed like very involved processes for washing them and all, but it is such a breeze.
6. If you breast feed your baby, the diapers won't stink, even the poopy ones.
7. Email me if you have questions along the way. I wished that I had known anyone who used cloth diapers that I could have asked questions of! Best wishes!

Hi!

I'm due in January too, and I'd like to suggest that you join www.diaperswappers.com. Not only can you find cheap used diapers there on FSOT, but there is also all sorts of information about the various kinds of cloth diapers. I'll try to summarize a bit of the basics below:

1) Prefolds, flats, prefitteds and countours -- These are basically like your old-fashioned diapers. Pfs and flats are essentially flat peices of material that you can fold into a waterproof or water-resistant cover. Prefitteds and countours are like these, but are shaped so that they do not require folding. These diapers are generally pinned, snappied or used with a cover to be secure on the baby. Pros: They are cheap, versatile and wash and dry easily. Cons: You have to fold, fasten and cover them.

2) Fitted Diapers -- These diapers look quite similar to disposable, but are much cuter and come in a much wider range of styles. Like the first category, they are not waterproof and will require a cover if you want to avoid leaks. Pros: They dry fairly quickly, come in all kinds of cute prints, are easy to use and versatile. Cons: They are not waterproof so if you have a heavy wetter you have to cover up the cute prints with a cover. (I am planning to use mostly fitteds and prefolds and go coverless around the house)

3) AIO/AI2 diapers (all in 1 or 2) -- These diapers do not require a cover because they have an internal or external layer of a material called PUL which is waterproof. AIOs have an internal soaker pad sewn in while AI2s have a fully or partially external soaking pad. Both are pretty much like disposable diapers. Pros: They are very easy to use. Cons: They take FOREVER to dry. (AI2s dry faster than AIOs)

4) Pocket diapers -- These diapers look like covers, with waterproof material on the outside and a thin layer of absorbent material on the inside. What people like about them is the fact that they contain a pocket which can be stuffed with doublers so that you can customize the diaper to your child's needs. Pros: They are waterproof, versatile diapers with a short drying time. Cons: You have to stuff them before you put them on the baby and unstuff them when they are soiled. This can be easy or hard depending on the type of diaper. Some pockets have very specific drying and washing instructions.

5) Covers -- There are 4 basic kinds of covers 1) PUL, 2) Vinyl, 3) Fleece and 4) Wool. The first 2 are waterproof and the last 2 are water resistent.

6) Doublers and liners -- Doublers allow you to increase the absorbency of your diapers. They are often made of microfiber, bamboo or hemp. Liners allow you to wick moisture away from the baby's skin to avoid rashes and to minimize mess (lkie meuconium poo).

I would suggest that you first figure out what kind of dipe you're looking for, and then you can navigate all of the brand names. Check out www.diaperpin.com for reviews of various diapers. Ebay has a decent selection of diapers sometimes, but hunt for reviews before you buy. You can also check out craigslist, www.etsy.com and www.hyenacart.com (I like the spots corner for used diapers). You can also order WAHM (work at home mom) custom diapers once you figure out what basic kind you think you'll like. Both Etsy and Hyenacart have a ton of options.

Your baby will probably be in NB sized diapers for the shortest time of all, so you might want to get a combination of NB and SM sizes. I have a ton of One Size diapers which, although bulky on a newborn, will fit after the baby is about 10 lbs or so. If you use covers, try to find NB covers that have an umbilical dip. I like Prowraps and Imse Vimse.

HTH,
C..

Way to be brave. People are so scared to use cloth but I LOVE it. I used disposable for the first year and haven't looked back since I switched. Nicki's Diapers is a great online source for tips and info. Also prices are competitive and free shipping helps :)

I haven't tried a lot cuz I had friends who had and I took their word for it. I use diaper covers (Bummis) and good old cloth diapers.Things I like:
-Cost to get started (you don't have to buy as many so it's much cheaper to get started),
-sizing (you don't have to swtich sizes very often,
-absorbancy (I hardly ever have leaks now that I know how to do it)
-cute (I like the SuperBrite style)
-Less irritating to my son's skin than disposable
-Easy to wash (I just put them directly into the washer until I have a load-it's very easy-way nicer than having to go to the store when I ran out of disposables.

Good luck! and congratulations :)

You are soooo brave. Do they offer a service or do you have to buy them and launder them yourself? If you know these company e-mails contacts write them and maybe they could send you a sample .
I would also suggest to have a bag of disposibles on hand for a last resort. And if you don't use them you can always donate them to a church that helps out single moms. Good luck and god bless

I know you said you don't want to mess with pins, but I'm going to say it anyway because I wish someone had told me. I researched nearly my whole pregnancy and even before gettoing pregnant which cloth diaper I would use. I was determined I'd get an all in one as I thought it would be easier. As I researched I found many peole complaining of bulk. In the end I decided to go with the old rectangle ones you fold and use pins and a plastic cover. I was determined to not use these, but they were and are great. I am so happy with this choice. My son is nearly 10 months has never been poked, always has a diaper fitted to his size, and they smell great each time I take them out of the wash. They are little work. I breastfed my boy, never any formula so the poop didn't even need to be rinsed. What I did was I took a diaper pail and filled it about 1/3 with water and added 1/4 cup borax (can us baking soda but I tried it and didn't like it as much). Then just add diapers as they are soiled. When your ready for a load...wash on hot and I do the longest cycle and an extra rinse. I add 1/4 cup borax, 1/2 cup vinegar (which keeps them smelling fresh as it counter acts the urine), and about as much detergent as you would use for a small load (too much can cause a weird smell for diapers). I use Tide and the diapers smell good even after 10 months of use. I then dump the diaper pail with the borax water and diapers into the wash and wash. The diaper covers are washed at the same time. When they are done I pull the diaper covers out and let them air dry (although a few have gone through the dryer without any damage being done). Oh, and I got some asorbent pads that are made to put under your babies crib sheet to protect the mattress and used them for changing pads which I threw in the wash with the diapers too. I'd recommend using the pads as there are lots of times a new baby will poop when you are changing a diaper. It saved having to do extra loads of wash for blankets or other items. Best of luck and don't be intiminated...cloth diapers are SO easy.

I currently have three babies in cloth diapers and I use Fuzzi Bunz. They are really easy to use. I've also heard good things about BumGenius diapers but they weren't around when my first born was a baby so I've never tried them. They all cost a lot of money up front but save you money in the long run - especially if you plan on having another child.

hello, (I know this may be a little late) I just wanted to add that you can sometimes get cheap bumgenius (pocket and aio) at cottonbabies.com in their clearance section. They have different items available depending on inventory...I just bought the 3.0 for $8.50. Although, you don't get the soakers and they may need a small repair, but if you know how to sew this is one of the best ways to buy. Also, we know have, a diaper service locally... Nature's Own Diaper Service (____@____.com) they have store to buy the products they use...and The Birthing Center sells fuzzi buns...if you google boise cloth diapers you will find other local sources. I think one is monkey bottoms, she sells the starter kit from bummis. I have searched and searched for the right cloth diapers for my girls and it can be overwhelming! What is easy for me is not easy for my husband, so we have different types diapers. I hope this helps a little...if you have any questions please send me a message. Have a great day.

I have been using Fuzzi Bunz, and they're great, no complaints here at all. I'm an affiliate on NuturedFamily.com, they have great selection and decent discount prices for bulk buys (it's where I bought my 2 dozen).
I used G-diapers for a while, and really like them but their more expensive than just switching to cloth.
I thought The Switch was going to be difficult, but it was a lot easier than I expected!
Good JOB mommin'!

1 / 3