Clomid & Twins

hi ladies, i turn to you once again for some advice. my doctor has prescribed me with something called clomid. this a fertility drug used to help with ovulation . since i last miscarried a few months ago, im having a hard time conceiving and my doctor suggested this drug. im curious if any of you have ever used this drug since i read on the paper that comes along with the directions (instructions) that one of the side effects is multiple births. im just not sure im ready for something like that..... so shoould i give my body a chance another couple of months or just try this and ..... thanking you in advance.

That is a very personal decision. How old are you? I know several people
that used clomid and only had one baby. However, that does not mean
that twins cannot happen. Get more info if you can. Only you can make
the decision.

I have a cousin and friend that both took Clomid and both had boy/girl twins (both sets about 2 1/2 years old now). Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Both of the people that I know personally that have taken Clomid had twins. However, I wonder how much of that had to do with the Clomid and how much had to do with their age as the chance of twins increases with maternal age (both were 35).

I tried for over 2 years with my 3rd child and my dr. suggested that I take Clomid - I just wasn't comfortable with the risks of a multiple pregnancy. Especially since twins run in our family and I had lost a set of twins already. If it has only been a few months since your loss, perhaps you could hold off a little longer before trying any medical intervention? However, if you feel the time is right and are able to handle a pregnancy of multiples (it could be more than twins, too), then go for it. I was already high-risk and the chance of adding the danger of a multiple birth (for my body) would have been too great.

I took Clomid for 3 months with no luck. But the month after I stopped taking them I got pregnant with my daughter who is now almost 3. The chance of twins is very slim, but it CAN happen. I wasn't too worried about it when I was on it. Good luck! So sorry to hear about your miscarriage.

The exact same thing happened to me with as Bethany...3 cycles of clomid = no baby...The month after I stopped, I conceived my 1st son who is now 2.5..Good luck. I do know of 2 other moms who had twins on Clomid, they also had a history of twins in their family..so who knows if it would have happened outside of the meds as well....but I'm sure in all reality it is a slim chance, ..good luck

My good friend just finished a round of clomid, and it ended with her pregnant with a single baby. However, the chance of multiple births is higher than average on this drug. If you're uncertain, why don't you go ahead and tell your doctor you want to hold off on the clomid for a couple of months. If you still can't conceive in 6 months or so, you can always try the clomid then! There isn't any rush unless you're well over 35 and concerned that you might not have much time left.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. When we were trying to get pregnant, I went for my regular yearly checkup. I mentioned that we were trying and the ovulation kits kept saying I was continually ovulating, but there was no result, and my periods were very irregular. He said I had Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, in which the hormones build up but no egg is released. Apparently, it's common to use Clomid to make a egg release. I had no side effects at all and got pregnant the first time. I had one very healthy baby when I was 35. I would ask your dr. why he thinks you need the Clomid, if it's related somehow to why you miscarried, and maybe get a second opinion if you're concerned. You may just need some time to deal with your loss before you are ready to try again, and when you are ready you may not need the Clomid. As far as worrying about having twins, I think they have to put EVERY possible thing that could happen in those warnings, no matter how slim the chance. I hope everything goes well.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It upsets me that doctors rush to prescribe meds that can have horrible side effects rather than talk to their patients about how the stress of a miscarriage (emotionally and physically) can delay getting pregnant immediately (or not). It is your decision, but I would work on taking care of yourself naturally (getting enough sleep, eating whole healthy foods and staying away from caffeine and alcohol) and if you can, have some fun, relaxing time away with your husband. Best of luck!

the decision.

Hi, i have used clomid on 3 of my 5 pregnancys . I have 3 children, and had 2 miscarriages. It took me 7 yrs to concieve my 1st child and clomid helped but i also seen a fertility speacialist and i would recomend that 1st. My regular dr perscibed me clomid and it did not work. When i seen the speacialist they helped me by telling me i needed clomid and glucofage. Thats when it finnally worked. I never had muiltiples. When i took glucafage it helped me keep the pregnancy going. My last pregnancy was not planned and i concieved my littlte girl with no help of any drugs. So keep the faith and do what you feel is in your heart.i love my children and would never regret my choice of using clomid.

1 / 3