Clogged Tear Duct vs Pink Eye

Does anyone know how tell the difference between a clogged tear duct and pink eye? My 2 month old has a teary eye and some discharge, but no redness, swelling, or itching.

Thanks for the advice. THe doctor was pretty sure it was a clogged tear duct. I put a drop of breastmilk in it 4 different times and it completely cleared up!!

Hi T., When my son was about 2 months old he had the same thing going on with one of his eyes so I called the ped they said to bring him in...its prolly just a clogged tear ducked but it could be something else. So we brought him in and it was an eye infection of some sort I had to get a antibiotic cream to put on it...cleared up within two days. I would just take him in to be safe. Good luck and congratulations on the new bundle of joy :)

If she has pink eye her eye would be pink or red color. Sounds to me like a clogged tear duct. Or she could have gotten something in it. At that young age I would take her to the doctor. Eyes are something you don't want to mess with.

If there is discharge then there is probably something irritating or brewing, she is just too young to be able to tell you. I would flush it several times a day with breastmilk for a day or so and if there is no improvement, call the ped. Has she (or you) been around a lot of others, especially school age kids? These things are very contagious. Hope the breastmilk helps clear it up and keeps her feeling well. It usually works!!!!

If it is pink eye, then when you pull back the bottom eye lid it will be seriously red and not just pink like a normal eye. At 2 months old they wont really feel pain to itch it, but you might catch her rubbing it here and there. Clogged tear ducts are common and do produce discharge. When my boys get pink eye, their eyes usually aren't red, I just see discharge and look at the lower eye lid to see the color - usually it is bright red.

If it is a clogged tear duct, the best thing would be to get a cotton ball with some warm water (as warm as possible without burning of course) - squeeze out most of the water and gently message the duct with it. I did this about 3-4 times a day for 3-4 weeks and it worked out for me. As I understand it, that isn't always the case though.

Good luck! Sounds like you have your hands full!!

Sam

Both my twin boys had clogged tear ducts when they were born...similar symptoms as you are seeing...just yellow matter in the corner but no redness or anything. This is pretty common and most open up on their own. There is nothing you can do for a clogged tear duct at this point. One of my boys had his open up on its own @ 4 months but the other never did so he had to have it opened surgically when he was 10 months old (a quick, painless procedure)...
Just give her some time and hopefully it will open up on its own!

Yes, I had this problem w/ my 2nd daughter. Everyone thought she had red eye, and the doctor said it was a problem w/ her tear duct. I was relieved to hear that, especially since I am big on washing my hands. It took my baby about 4-5 months of age for it to go away. I was told to rub the tear duct daily w/ a slightly warm cloth. I cleaned it constantly. Good luck!

sounds to me like a clogged tear duct. my daughter had hers for almost 3 months before it cleared. i tried EVERYTHING the docs said, the internet said, and moms on here said. and none of it worked... until..... i put her in a room with a Vaporizer with some Vicks... cleared up INSTANTLY! i was soo happy to finally see BOTH of her beautiful eyes! Good luck... and TRY THE VAPORIZER!

Pink eye is actually pretty gross. When my daughter got it, her eye was glued shut in the morning with puss like gunk and very very pink, not just the eye itself but all around the eye also. You baby boy could have something in his eye thatis irritating it causing the tearing and discharge, butit is always better to be safe then sorry, so I would take him to the dr if he doesn't get better within 24 hours.

1 / 3