Clogged Mammary Gland

I have been breastfeeding my 4 month old son without incident, until this morning I woke up and realized my right breast is sore and engorged on the upper right side. It is not red or hot to the touch, but sore and swollen like the milk is not able to be let down. Has anybody had this problem? Will it eventually go away--what should I do?

ugh. that is the worst. I encountered that several times. What worked best for me was a warm shower, massage and then if necessary...a heating pad. Good luck.....it gets better...

Hi! My doctor prescribed a medication for me and it went away within a few days. Warm clothes helped in the meantime. Good Luck!

I had that (ouch!) an dliterally dangled my breast is hot water, as HOT as you can stand it and then put hard pressure, kneading inward the same time I pumped/breast fed. It hurt BAD to do this but it had been a few days and started to hurt so bad I was crying and my doc office was closed! good luck! I heard using a variety of nursing positions helps prevent this

I had this as well. Not hot or red, but very sore. It took a few days to resolve after massaging the bump in a hot shower to unclog it and then making sure my daughter always started nursing on that side so that her chin would massage the lump.

A heating pad helped me and it worked really fast!

Hi K., this happened to me all the time. Always start feedings on the sore breast. The baby will be very hungry and will suck harder, helping to loosen the milk duct. If that doesn't work, try taking a hot bath and massage your breast in the hot water. It will hurt a little at first, but the warm water will feel SO good and it will eventually loosen. I read the note about sticking a needle in the milk duct. That doesn't sound right, so maybe ask a doctor or La Leche League, etc., before doing that. You do want to take care of this or it will turn into mastitis. Good luck!

I also had this with my daughter (now 6 years old). Apply moist heat often. I used a wash cloth with warm water. Also massage. For me this was very painful and I didn't do it as often as I should have. I ended up with an absess & extreme pain. I almost had to have it cut out. I'm not saying this to scare you, just to get you to see your dr., apply MOIST heat & massage. Just remember...this too shall pass.

That sucks, it happened to me once. You want to nurse as much as you can on that side to unclog it, as much as it hurts. I even read somewhere that if you get on all fours and nurse like that it will unclog faster due to gravity. If you can see on your nipple where your milk is plugged you can very carefully, with a sterilized needle, try and pop it. My midwife suggested that and it worked. Then just keep nursing a lot. I don't remember if I used heat or ice. I think heat.

Hello K.,
I never experienced this, but I hope the response below helps. ( I was going to say to call your doctor, but then I read the response below---- sounds like it will work.:) Good Luck!

A warm moist compress (a wet towel in the microwave) and massage will help. Or stand in a very warm, but not steaming hot, shower. Keep an eye though since it may produce a fever quickly since clogged glands can cause an infection known as mastitis. I used to get it when nursing my daughter. It will become quite painful if it doesn't pass. If you spike a fever, call the Doctor immediately. Hope this helps! P. :)

1 / 3