Clicking Sound While Nursing

My son makes a clicking sound when nursing. It seems to be something he's doing with his tongue, and it's making my nipples very sore! Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what have you done to correct it?
Thank you!!
Becky

He's not latching on properly, my son did the same thing. Try using a nipple shield and every time he starts to click break the suction and try again.

It sounds like he is not latching on correctly. I would contact a lactation specialist(you can usually find one at a hospital or through the La Leche league).

my daughter did this exact thing though I think I had nipples of steel cause it didn't cause long lasting pain. When she would do this I would just break the latch and make her relatch properly. It never fully stopped but she did stop doing it so frequently (a change from about 2-3 times per feeding to 2-3 times per week)

Hi R.,

Just a quick note. Here is the La Leche League referral number for your area: Referral Line ###-###-####. Also, it may be helpful to work with an Independent Board Certified Lactation Consultant. You can probably get a referral through La Leche League for one. Don't just see any lactation consultant!

Usually when a baby is making a clicking sound it is because they are not latched on right. It's the improper latch that makes your nipple sore. Here is a link from the LLL website about proper latching technique: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/positioning.html. Many women have a hard time learning to latch their little one on by themselves or from a book. Latch can also be complicated by physiological issues in moms or babies. It may really be helpful to consult someone locally to help!

D. Rylander, Birth Doula
A Blessed Birth Doula Services
###-###-####

I know it causes latching problems, but I don't know if your son will grow out of it. Our close friends' little guy has always done this and he's now 20+ months old and still drinks like that when he gets his nightly bottle. He's always been a very messy nurser and even is messy with a sippy cup (milk, water, juice, etc. dribble down his chin most every-time). I know he made his mom's nipples super soar, too. I would follow the recommendations and talk to either LLL or a lactation consultant. Good Luck! :-)

My daughter made the same clicking sound and my lactation consultant told me she was not latching on right. I also got very sore. As soon as I had help with latching the clicking went away and the soreness stopped. The best way for me was to grab hold of your breast with your thumb at the top of your areola and fingers at the bottom. you push down with your thumb so that you nipple points upward. Then make sure that your baby is getting a whole mouthful areola and all with nipple to the back of the throat. It is so much easier to show this than to explain but I hope this helps!

Sounds like he has slid off a bit....I would reattatch him everytime he made the sound and see if it helps. My daughter use to do that and my nipples paid the price. When I nursed my son I realized the problem and fixed it from the start and was fine.

Hi R.,
The clicking sound is most likely not the issue. A lot of babies click when they swallow. It is more likely that your son doesn't have a good latch, so you are getting sore. When he comes off, check the shape of your nipple. It should be round. If it is flat on one side, or misshappen, he isn't getting a good latch. When he is nursing, check the placement of his lips. They should both be curled (top up, bottom down) and he should have as much of the nipple and areola as possible. If you've already checked these things and you are still getting sore, call your local hospital or La Leche league. They can connect you with miracle worker lactation specialists who will come to you and help you work it out. Don't wait until you are so sore you can't nurse. Good for you for doing this hard work! Nursing can take awhile to get the hang of it, but once you do it is such a gift for you and your baby. Take good care of yourself~

Hi there! Sounds like your son isn't latched on properly. You can retrain him by working hard to have him get a huge mouthful. Make sure his bottom lip is rolled out. It should not hurt, though it does hurt for awhile when you first start to nurse your first time. I struggled with this at first until my mom told me to pinch my nipple and shove it in his mouth. That helped alot. Just make sure with #2 you start right away getting a huge mouthful! It's so comical to see how big of a mouthful they can get. ;P The Sears breastfeeding book is very useful! You can tell yourself if he's tongue-tied if he can't freely move his tongue. My first boy was tongue-tied--we went up to a natural doctor in Portland and it was simply cut. He nursed really well with but even better without it. I hope you have happy, painless nursing soon.

1 / 3