Clear Jelly-like Anal Discharge in 4 Year Old

Hi Mammas. I need some help here. I've googled, but haven't been able to find any good info.
My 4 year old came to me this afternoon complaining that his underwear were wet. When I looked he didn't have diarrhea, like I thought, his underwear were filled with a clear jelly-like substance and a small spot of poop. (sorry for the visual)
Several hours later he started screaming out of nowhere, "My stomach! My stomach!" and holding the lower part of his stomach. He went to the bathroom and stood over the toilet like he thought he was going to throw up, but never did. Nothing came out either end. After about 20 minutes of crying while I tried to console him he fell asleep.
He's still asleep now, no fever, he hasn't been constipated and this has never happened before. Any advice? Anyone experienced anything like this?

Thanks for all the advice. When he woke up he was in a very good mood with no more pain at all. Right now I'm monitoring him, we think he may be constipated.
I know there is no chance of sexual abuse, so we can rule that out. I'll let you know what I find out from the doctor.

Okay, doctor said just to monitor him and see if it happens again. There have been several stomach "bugs" going around. He hasn't complained of any pain since, and he's been pooping. So I guess it was just one of those weird things.

I know this may just be the worst thought ever but is there any chance he could have been sexually abused? I mean a clear jelly-like substance? Has he been alone with anyone lately? I would take him to the doctor! I'm sorry I don't mean to scare you but if it was my child I would get him looked at to rule this out. i hope all goes well.

Could it be mucus? When my kids have a cold, they tend to swallow their snot (I know, more visuals, right?) which causes stomach upset, diarrhea, and mucus in their poop. Also, with a stomach virus, more mucus is produced to protect the lining of the stomach. Other than that, I have no idea. Give the Dr. a call.

From my toddler 411 book: Red Flags for worrisome poops

Grape Jelly poop: The term for this is "currant jelly" stool. This is a medical emergency. It is a sign of Intussusception where the bowels have kinked. Sever cramping accompanies this unusual looking poop.

I am NOT trying to freak you out but you need to call your pedi TONIGHT and see if you need to take him in. I'm just worried about your little guy.

Go to the ER and see if he has been sodomized. Sorry, it could be KY jelly or something like that. If he is being sexually abused, that could account for the stomach pain, screaming and crying. I pray to God that he is not.

I would call the doc or the nurse line or urgent care, whatever you have in your insurance, and get some answers. I mean anything that strange deserves a professional look, even if it ends up being nothing.
The part that worries me is that he also was holding his stomach and crying... poor thing, hope all is ok.

I would call his doctor's office about this, but do not go freaking out like your child has been raped as suggested by some moms before me. I'm sure you are talking about the mucosa lining of the GI tract. This can be shed in the stool at times when a person's GI tract is irritated or infected. My God, I'm sure it's not semen! Sheesh.

Sounds like semen... hope it's not. Take him (and his underwear) to the ER. Now.

When I read this I immediatly thought take him to the ER! Andrea G actually wrote was I was thinking! This could be something major. Has he been around anyone unusual? Did he eat anything different? Please PLEASE take him to the ER.

1 / 3