Cleaning Wooden Blocks

I have been given a large box full of wooden blocks from a local church daycare center. I know that the daycare center is a very clean one. However, my son (2 1/2 years old) still has a tendency to put items in his mouth. So I am asking if anyone know of a way to clean the wooden blocks. I am allergic to clorox, so that method isn't available. They are very nice blocks and I don't want to damage them by cleaning them. Thanks for your suggestions.

Thank you for all your advice on cleaning my wooden blocks. I ended up getting some Fantastik from Walmart (under $4) and cleaning them when my son was asleep. It supposably kills all the dangerous bacteria on contact. It also didn't damage or take off the color of the blocks. It cleans other areas around the house to and leaves a shine on them.

Isn't method products what they just started selling at walmart? I am pretty sure they have been selling them at Ikea for years now.

OMG...I may just have the answer to this for you. I saw that you are allergic to clorox and I'm seeing more and more that many people are. It's also just not a safe product to have in our homes and around our children because it's toxic. I've been shopping at a wellness store online to get my household cleaners and products and would be happy to share them with you. They specialize in making products that are made from natural ingredients rather than chemical and toxins like clorox and lysol are. There is a cleaner that they make that you could use to clean those blocks and you won't have to worry about it hurting your son. I clean my son's highchair and toys with this cleaner. Here's a funny story I'd like to share with ya. I was thanking God for this wellness company just the other day because my son (almost 2 years old) got down on the floor right after I had run a mop over it and LICKED it! yeah, GROSS! Luckily, I didn't have to freak out or worry that he was going to be sick or poisoned because all the products I clean with are toxin free. So peace of mind = PRICELESS!

Hi A.

You might want to try to clean the blocks with a mild dish detergent. My son has a lot of wooden blocks and shapes that he likes to throw in the sink whenever I am washing dishes. The toys don't seem to have been effected by the soap and water, no chipping paint or anything like that. Maybe try washing one at first, dry it with a towel then let it air dry all the way. See if it effects the block then you can clean the rest. Best of luck to you.

Methods products are not safe according to my research. If you don't believe me, research yourself. I don't want to down a company, but it is important information that you should know.

I have a home-based business with Melaleuca. I have not found any ingredient in Melaleuca products that is cause for concern. The company has been in business for over 22 years, so they must be doing something right. I would love for you to come to a presentation if you would like. They do have wonderful products that are great for cleaning wooden blocks and many other children's toys. The products are reasonably priced, especially their cleaning products! Their products are safe for the environment, beneficial to your health, and they work!

Anyway, chemicals that Melaleuca does NOT use in their products that are found in MANY other brands are:
diethanolamine (DEA), triethanolamine (TEA), monoethanolamine (MEA), ethanolamine, bleach, formaldehyde (ingredient may be listed as Quaternium 15), Sodium laureth sulfate, Disodium EDTA, Dioxins, methylchloroisothiazolinone

Please feel free to research these ingredients and your products.

Try this on one block to see if it damages the color first before using it on all of them. Take your basic antibacterial hand soap and wash with warm water for 20 seconds. Then spray with Lysol for good measure. Let the blocks air dry. Hope this helps!

1 / 3