Cleaning with Bleach

I'm curious to know if there is an alternative to cleaning kids toys without using bleach. I have an at home child care business and I do not really feel bleach is the best thing to be cleaning the toys with, especially since they go in their mouths (not toys that can be put through the dishwasher). HELP!!!

Have you tried using vinegar and water? It is a healthy and still disinfecting alternative.

Make it a GREAT week!

I have heard that the safest alternative to bleach is Hydrogen peroxide used the same way you would use the bleach.

Bleach really is the best, especially when you're talking about kids who put everything in their mouth. As long as you are using the proper dilution, soak the toys and then let them dry before giving them back to the kids, there is not danger for them getting ill from the bleach.

As far as the "natural" alternatives, I just suggest being as careful with them as with bleach. Just because something is natural doesn't mean it is safe! Check them out to make sure there is independent research (not done by the labs owned by the company) to substantiate that it is safe and effective.

Yes. Vinegar is a great alternative. It disinfects, the smell goes away when the toys are rinsed & dried. And, you don't have to worry about children who have bleach allergies touching the toys after cleaning. I use it for cleaning our toys at home and I know day care centers that have switched, as well.

Sol-U-Guard Botanical™ Disinfectant is an alternative!! Email me and I can get you more info on this and also how to get it at wholesale price. ____@____.com Here is a little info on it. I would love to talk to you more about it. Have a wonderful day. C.

The first botanical disinfectant formula that’s 99.99% effective against common bacteria.
• EPA-registered and proven to be more than
99.99% effective against common household
germs
• EPA-approved for use in hospitals and medical
facilities as well as for hard surfaces in your
home

Sol-U-Guard Botanical:
• 99.99% effective against common bacteria
on hard surfaces
• Powered by the essential oil of the herb
thyme with a fresh herbal scent
• Approved by the EPA for use
in residential, medical, and food
preparation facilities.

The patented Sol-U-Guard Botanical formula is EPAapproved
for use in a wide variety of residential,
commercial, and medical facilities, including:
• Children’s toys • Countertops
• Changing tables • Sinks
• High chairs • Garbage cans
• Toilet seats • Pet habitats
• Prostheses & orthotics
Sports equipment
• Food preparation surfaces
• Any other surface where bacteria or
unpleasant odors are a concern
• Day cares • Kitchens
• Schools • Restaurants & bars
• Nurseries • Cafeterias
• Hospitals • Food storage areas
• Nursing homes • Zoos & kennels
Fitness gyms and spas • Hotels & motels
• Medical, veterinary, and dental offi ces
Health professional, chiropractic,
and physiotherapy clinics
• Salmonella choleraesuis
• Staphylococcus aureus (Staph)
• Pseudomonas aeruginosa
• Mycobacterium bovis (TB)
• Athlete’s foot fungus
• HIV-1 (the AIDS virus)

Make it a GREAT week!

I was looking for alternatives to cleaning my kids' toys as well. I use Sol-U-Guard. The key ingriedients are thyme, citrus oil, and melaleuca oil. You can only get it on-line. Not only that, but the same place to get Sol-U-Guard has a whole line of products to clean your home without the harsh chemicals that a lot of cleaners have, so it's safer and healthier for all the littles one in your home! I've been a customer for a year now, and I can't imagine going back to brand names! I'd be happy to share with you more info! Just drop me a line anytime!

Sincerely,
Tricia
Mom to Alex & Arianna
http://www.4OurFamilysWellness.com

There was a day when I thought nothing of liberal useage of chlorine bleach to clean & disinfect. However my lungs became quite uncomfortable & a friend of mine did herself real damage cleaning in her daycare with toxic chemicals. I've since resorted to peroxide, grapefruit seed oil, salt solutions and baking soda-depending on what I'm cleaning.
Here's a couple of links
http://www.watoxics.org/homes-and-gardens/fastfacts/fastf...
and http://www.care2.com/greenliving/chlorine-in-household-cl...

I'd have to agree that bleach is the best way to go. It's very effective for all those baby bugs and VERY safe. Bleach actually starts out as water and salt and breaks down into water and salt. I'd hesitate to use any other chemicals if you don't know exactly what it is or what it breaks down into. I'd stick to bleach. :)

Chlorine Bleach contains "sodium hypochlorite". Google that chemical, which is actually considered a pesticide, and see what you find out. Or, look on the household products site at :http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/br...

I personally feel that a lot of asthma and breathing related issues, could be avoided, with the removal of this product from homes.

Also found this great info on government website about bleach: http://www3.niaid.nih.gov/topics/BiodefenseRelated/Chemic...

Shaklee offers a germicide that is safer for use and doesn't contain "sodium hypochlorite". If, you'd like more info from me, just send me a note.

Thanks and God bless,

1 / 3