Cleaning Washing Machine - Mildew Smell

Hi Moms -

My washing maching has a bad mildew smell. Any tips on how to get rid of it? I have tried running a cycle of towels with vinegar once, but it didn't help.

Krista

Bleach, bleach, bleach. Always use bleach on mildew.
YES! Thank you Jodie--always leave the washing machine lid open until dry---or just always.

I use fabric softener quite often as we have hard water. I noticed the other day that even though I was leaving the lid up, my washer was starting to have a strong odor. I noticed a speck of something black at the top of the agitating post (whatever it is called!). I pulled the top of it off...it was difficult...and OMG... it was disgusting! I had to soak it in hot water to loosen the build up of softener and black mold/algae. The washer no longer smells! Good Luck!

Krista,
Try running a load with a jar of powdered Tang. A dishwasher repair man told me once that you could do that and it would help the washing machine and dishwasher smell better.

If it's a front loading washer, try a new product called Washer Magic (I think). It is made to clean out the gunk that the new washers tend to leave behind. Also, clean around the rubber gaskets at the front to get all the residue out also. I just read an article about this same thing. They said since the new front-load washers use less water they leave more dirt/residue behind, so they have this problem more often.

Oh yes, and like the other moms said, leave the door open as much as possible (drives my husband crazy!)

Run a load of whites with liquid bleach to cleanse it. After, always leave the door open until interior is dry. It is closing the door that seals in the moisture and causes mildew.

Home Depot sales these tablets that you run through a cycle and kills the mildew. Good Luck

We moved into a rented apt in London with a front loader washing machine and it stunk to high heaven of mold. We were told to run it on the hottest cycle possible and put bleach in it.

I've always heard that you could use white vinegar to help get rid of the smell.

1 / 3