Cleaning Used Crib Mattress

So, I bought a brand-new-looking crib mattress at a yard sale for only $5, feeling like I got the best deal ever. I still think maybe I did. But it wasn't until I was leaving with it in my car that the words "dust mites" entered my head! All my research online says the only suggestion for cleaning is to vacuum the surface. I'm happy to put a sturdy cover over this this, but is there any way to ensure that this mattress isn't already completely ifested with critters that I can't see? I wish I could, I don't know, fumigate it or something to be sure it's safe before I put a baby on it.

Thanks ladies!

DO NOT use bleach or other solutions to clean the mattress. These are toxic and can lead to breathing problems. An infant should not inhale toxic fumes. The previous posts about used cribs leading to SIDS is correct.
Here are a few articles to read:
http://www.babysake.com/
http://www.hpakids.org/holistic-health/articles/138/1/Cri...

there is a school of thought that household fungi ( found in mattresses) combined with heat cause toxic fumes that lead to crib death. the fungus is more prevalent in used mattresses - makes sense they are older. Baby mattress covers are recommended for used or second use mattresses. you can visit www.babymattresscovers.com for more info and FAQ's.

Here are a few articles to read:
http://www.babysake.com/

I am not sure if you are in San Diego but see the information below. They do that ultraviolet light (something like that) mattress cleaning and it kills dust mites. They do it for adult, child and baby mattresses.

Tandem Cleaning Services
Hygienic Health Solutions
Vincenzo Santangelo
2505 Fletcher Parkway
El Cajon, CA 92020
###-###-#### Direct
###-###-#### Fax

Hi D.,

I work for a Cleaning & Restoration company in North Las Vegas (Servpro of northern Las Vegas) and I also LOVE finding great deals at garage sales... :) Anytime I get something that will go to my son I have it cleaned here. But, if you prefer to clean it yourself, I would highly recommend using a vaccum with a HEPA filter. Then place the mattress in the sun, that should take care of any "bug" problems. I can also recommend other options, but it all depends on how far you want to go with it. Also, a good steam cleaning is helpful but not necessary.

Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns, our company deals with these problems quite frequently. Good luck and nice job on the purchase!

Sincerely

Crib mattress causing SIDS is just a theory, and never has been proven just like anything else. Just like the bumper pads that moms like to use in cribs, some say that can lead to SIDS as well. There are many things some may say that causes SIDS but all is a theory, back in the old days they called it cradal death, today the name is SIDS. I had 5 children and never had a new crib or mattress, and my oldest child is 21, and nothing happen to them. Another thing about this issue is if it caused SIDS then how come baby store consignment or so, still selling them. Like I say this is a theory just like everything else and has not been proven what actually causes SIDS. But if you prefer go ahead and but a new one and follow your instinct. I always used a good mattress cover because i never allowed my children to lay on the plastic surface.

Hi D., most crib matresses are not cloth like, they are more of a water proff material, i'm not sure that dust mites can get into those matrsses, but what i did with my second baby, cause he used the same matress ans my first, i vacumed it on both sides then I sprayed it with lysol disinfectvie on bothsides, had no problems. J.

If the Mattress has a plastic kinda coating where you can wipe it down with a solution of 1/2 cup bleach to 1 gallon of
water. My Mom always told me bleach kills everything. Then I would also check peroxide. I got an e-mail about how much better that was than bleach. Both would be good.
If it is cloth spray it or wash it and let it dry out. Put a crib matress pad on it. I am sure it will be fine.

I would clean if off with a Clorox Spray. I believe most baby mattresses have a vinyl cover. I would spray it real tood with that.

1 / 3