Cleaning up at Restaurants???

Hello Mamas! I have a question regarding cleaning up at restaurants...Do you feel it is necessary to clean up after your child (ie: cleaning up the floor/carpet) after your meal is complete and before you leave any type of restaurant??? I always wipe up the table area and bus the table of course if we are in a fast food restaurant - (that's standard, I know)...Any comments would be helpul! Thank you!!! :-)

I am sort of in the middle I guess. I have seen the way they bus tables, and dont notice that my stacking everyones stuff makes a big difference, so I dont do a lot of that. We do try to tidy up per se, but I am not getting on the floor to clean up cheerios and crackers. Honestly, they can run the vaccuum pretty quickly over it, and not be doing any more work than they would have had to do. Big stuff, or major messes, we take care of, but for me..part of the reason I go out to dinner is that I dont have to cook, serve, or clean up. My kids dont really make big messes either though. For me, that is part of teaching them to respect where we are, they just dont make the mess in the first place. HTH ~A.~

Oops...I guess I'm the only one that doesn't. I guess I feel like I'm paying for the service of the food plus the clean-up.

I use to work at restaraunts and I would have to clean up after there were small children present. First of all I think that kids cant help themselves there just children and messes are going to happen. But also as a mom I find myself cleaning up after my childen. I think it is helpful, and it does show some kind of respect to the employees at the restaraunt.

L.,
This is my opinion, if your child is in a high chair, don't give that child the kind of food that will end up all over the floor. I had friend who let her child grab the chips bowl (for the chips and salsa) and just play with them. I was mortified! The child was squeezing the chips, throwing them, etc. You can imagine the mess. I ended up taking them away. There were a few responses about teaching your child respectful behavior. If you train your child young, he/she will be a better person for it. Just as you would teach your child that part of the dining experience is to tip your waiter/waitress, so is how one behaves. I agree with someone that mentioned you need not pick up every crumb. But, you can certainly control what your child has access to and limit the kind of mess your child, our children, make. :-)

I always try to clean up the best I can after my DD...I say teach your children to respect others and their occupations. I wouldn't want her to think that it is ok for her to go into an establishment, make a mess, and the leave it for someone else to pick up...Just my opinion though...Good Luck!

Yes you should do your very best to clean up after your child. My daughter works in a family restaurant and the servers argue over who has to wait on the families with small kids. It's not fair for the servers to have to clean up an overly messy table area before any one else can be seated there and the server loses money waiting for the next group to sit b/c it has to be throughly cleaned first.

G.

Try not to let your kids make a mess in the first place and you won't have to worry about it. I've had babies who made messes and I always picked up the biggest stuff, left a big tip and apologized to the wait staff. Now my kids are big enough (3 and 6) that they pick up their own messes, as much as possible. If they drop a fry, they pick it up. If they spill a little juice, they wipe it up. I think it's gross and disrespectful when I see other people walk out without even trying to tidy up.

I'm one of those people who also thinks you should hang up the clothes you try on instead of dumping them all over the dressing room. When you've worked in retail and in restaurants, it makes you think twice about leaving behind a mess.

Since at alot of restaurants these days the waiter/waitress has to do alot of clean-up & sidework on which they are not even making near minimum wage, Yes. I don't pick up crumbs but napkins, etc. I don't clean up spills either they usually are prepared for those & can clean up easier than you.

YES, definitely! my kids are 14 months apart and if they made a mess, I cleaned it up...the restaurant personell are not paid the clean up where kids have been allowed to toss food all around...they make their money off of turnover and it takes time...as to them saying 'don't worry about it' they have to say that or loose their jobs..train your child and you will reap huge rewards....especially when it is not a child centered restaurant....it is very disheartening to the wait staff to go to a table and see that a cyclone has blown through...it is also not fun to be another diner where kids are allowed to do this........my .02 is if you don't clean up, don't take them....oh, and keep them in their seats - don't allow them to runaround or turn around and stare at other diners...

1 / 3