Cleaning "Electric" Stuffed Animals

Updated on October 21, 2008
A.W. asks from Saint Paul, MN

We have a few stuffed animals that have battery packs inside that do not come out. How can I get them clean?

• Add your own comment
  • Ask your own question
  • Join the Mamapedia community
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

answers from Minneapolis on

It is probably not the prefered way, butI just throw them in the washing machin on gentle cycle. They have always worked afterwards. I know I run the risk of recking them, but my dda has CF so I dont take any chances with germs. I would rather reck he doll than have her play wia dirty one.

answers from Grand Rapids on

A.; rub them with a baby wipe, youd be surprised how clean things can get with a baby wipe, their little car seat, and their seat belts get soooo dirty i tried everything, apolstery cleaner everything one day i was fed up and wiped it with a baby wipe, cleaned it, so i would think stuffed animals would come clean too, but be wary you might have to use quite a few of them, hahaha any way its worth a try, ive cleaned a few car seats with it, and their straps ive not tried it on stuffed animals though, but if all else fails a dry cleaner person should be able to tell you or help , but that gets very expensive, but in some cases its worth it, D. s mom of 3 boys, and lots of messes,

answers from Minneapolis on

What I did with my son's stuffed animals (with batteries and without) is to put a few in a big garbage bag with some baking soda. (Make sure the battery area on the toy is zipped, or closed as tightly as possible.) Shake it up a lot. then, stick the vacuum hose in to suck out all the powder. It cleaned and freshened them without damaging them at all. (If there was a stain on one, I just did a little spot cleaning and let it dry before the baking soda bag.)

answers from Minneapolis on

There are safe, nontoxic, surface/fabric cleaners marketed specifically for cleaning stuffed animals. Go to, and type in stuffed animal cleaner.

Next question: How to Remove Vomit Smell from Car Seat???