Cleaning Chalkboard

My daughter put lotion on her easel chalkboard and I wiped it off and cleaned it with an all purpose cleaner but we still can't write on it with chalk. Any ideas of how to revive a chalkboard?

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!! I tried using a dish soap, similar to Dawn, that cuts grease on dishes even better than Dawn (Maleleuca dishsoap)and then rubbed chalk all over it. It seems to work better, but there are still some spots that don't work. If continues to be a problem I will prob, just buy a paint and paint over it. Thanks Again!!

I know the first time you use a chalkboard you need to prep it by rubbing it all over with the edge of a piece of chalk. Maybe that would help?

Try chalkboard paint over the old surface. Home Depot sells it (not too expensive, aroiund $12 a can) in black or it can be tinted 12 other colors. It paints on easily - I've painted walls in both my daughters bedrooms. You might ask if they sell it in a spray paint which may be faster and easier than getting all the roll-on paint supplies out. Good Luck!

Try using Dawn, it should cute through the oil in the lotion better than Windex.
A

lotion has a lot og greasy stuff i would think and maybe a kitchen degreaser or even dawn dishwashing liquid "it takes away the grease"
there is also this great cleaner that we found at the dollar tree it is called "awesome" cleaner
good luck

Go to Home Depot and grab a can of chalkboard paint. It isn't cheap (around $18), but maybe you could share with friends....

I've seen on redecorating shows where there is some spray on chalkboard paint that should cover your boards. I'm not sure who carries this but a few calls to home improvement, paint, or craft stores should get you there.

not completely sure, but if you can't figure out how to use chalk on it, try using a dry erase marker on the chalk board... I saw people doing that in a church and it wiped off just fine. good luck. :)

I had the same problem! I used orange oil to clean my daughter's chalkboard and it restored just like new. Not the "orange oil cleaners," but actual orange oil, the kind that you can find at the health food store. Might work!

Try chalkboard paint.

R.

1 / 3