Claritin or Zyrtec for Pregnancy and 3 Year Old?

Hi mommies. I am currently 7 months pregnant and my doc said I can take claritin or zyrtec. Which works best!? I am so miserable this year I can barely stand to be awake! My 3 year old is also suffering this year. His doc said the same medicines. Which works best for allergies in adults and children?

Thanks! I'm trying Zyrtec, and so far so better, and giving my son Claritin...he got thru the night last night so thats a plus!!!! The allergies this year seem so horrible! Thanks for the helpful advice! I don't usually suffer this bad.

my husband likes both! my daughter (2yrs) has a prescription for zyrtec but i just buy her childrens benadryl cuz it does the same thing. i know zyrtec can make you drowsey it did for my daughter. so does benadryl. my friend gives her daughter claritan and loves it. but here are things to ask yourself- does your son have asthma? if so and hes on a prevenative already then he shouldnt use some allergy meds because they contain a prevenative in it (i know this because my daughter has asthma). if your son doesnt have asthma i would try one set of allergy meds and see how it works (keeping in mind both zyrtec and claritin take a few days to fully work). if your not happy with one try the other and i your unhappy with both ask your sons dr about what else you can try for him. as far as you i would do the same thing. good luck!

B.,

Wow! My doctor said 'no' to allergy meds when I was preggers. But, my son and I both are hay fever people and I use Claritin for OTC stuff. But, now we both have a prescription for stuff which the name escapes me.

check out this site for help with stuff like this...www.kellymom.com

According to a clinical pharmacist I spoke with, Zyrtec is more effective. Claritin comes in a sub-effective dose so that they can say it's "non-drowsy." In clinical trials, if they upped the dose so that it was as effective as Zyrtec, it also caused drowsiness, so they stuck with lower dosages so they could claim to be "the only non-drowsy allergy med."

Hi B.! I had such bad allergies with my second child. I went to an allergist and they had put me on Zyrtec and Rhinocort. I took them the whole pregnancy and it worked wonders! I have tried Claritin and it did not do so well for me. You might want to try both and see. Everyone is different. Congratulations and good luck!

If your Doc's said it's okay, then I guess it's okay.
Or you can try Google searching it.

For me and my family per allergires, we use Claritin... or the generic brands of Claritin (MUCH cheaper). And compared to other brands, this is the brand that suits us the best. BUT, every person is different. Some brands did not work for me, but did for my Hubby.

For your child though, use ONLY the "kids" Claritin.

Claritin does NOT cause "drowsiness." Which is important.
I don't know about Zyrtec.

YOu may just have to try one brand first, then wait and see if it works. Give it a couple days. And if not, try the other brand.

You can also read about the ingredients/affects online... and if it is okay for pregnancy/children....if you want to just re-confirm on your own what your Doc told you.

Take care,
Susan

Claritin works a little better for me; neither one of them makes me drowsy. Benedryl works best, but don't know if it's ok to take while pregnant. If so, just take it at night as it does make most people drowsy. I prefer Allegra, but it's prescription, and my insurance co won't pay for it since there are the OTC products now, so I use Claritin. I assume you can't take the Claritin D formula, so if you need a decongestant (the D)I understand that Sudafed is ok to take (doesn't work for me, but everyone is different). Check with your Doc. Also -- do you know what it is you are allergic to? Prevention is better than curing and there are some things you can to do to avoid allergy triggers. I'm allergic to mold and moving from Cincinnati to Las Vegas helped, but now I'm reacting to tree pollens. Oh well. I went through the allergy testing (not fun), and I don't know if they can do it while you are pregnant, but it was worth the process to know exactly what I was reacting to. Good luck.

I've heard of taking Benadryl during pregnancy...it even helps with nausea, but you're probably not nauseous this far along. Benadryl also works very well for my 2 1/2 year old. We tried Zyrtec recently and he had nightmares, talking in his sleep, coughing that started when we started taking it, and really aggressive behavior. Every child/person is different. Just keep notes of how he's feeling. Zyrtec is good in that you only take it once a day at bedtime so you don't have to have it with you all the time (at least the kid formula is like that). Good luck with your allergies. Hope you feel better and get some relief.

Hello and congrats on the new baby this summer!!!

My son has used claritin since Oct. 08 and just this past weekend was switched to Zyrtec. With Claritin I never saw a change, he was still suffering. But, just one day of Zyrtec and I saw major difference, now after being on it for almost a few week you would never know my son has allergies!!!

I say Zyrtec all the way.
Best of Luck,

1 / 3