Church - How Do You Do It?

Hello. Okay, Here is my problem: My Church does not have a cry room. I go to St. Thomas Moore with my 17 month old and have to sit out in the entrance area. Problem being my son will not sit still for a second. He screams and wants to go out side. Every time we go we end up leaving half way though and I hate that. I want to teach my son how important his religion is but I don't know how. I know he is to young to understand now but what really gets me is I see families all the time entering the Church with Babies my sons age and younger. How do you do it? I am so scared to take my son in the Church because I know he will make a huge fuss and cause a scene. Any suggestions??

Thank you so much on the wonderful advice you all had! I since have tired a few new things with my son. I did find out that our Church does have a nursery that I did not know about because We usually went Saturday night and it is only open Sunday. We have also been to our Church In Lake Havasu Which does have a cry room. Brent sat through about 1/2 of the service then we had to retreat to the cry room :) This Sunday we will give it another run. Thank you all again.

Have you tried St. John the Baptist in Draper. They have a nice cry room. Mass is at 8:30 and 11 am on Sundays, I believe.
Also, if you're looking to meet other moms, St. Thomas Moore has a fun playgroup on Mondays and I also suggest MOPS: Mothers of Preschoolers a "moral support" group for mothers of young children, expecting through 6 years old. Email me ____@____.com for more info. MOPS website is www.mops.org.

i work at our church on staff and we had some moms request a place to take their young babies that weren't able to be in class for the day, so we added a room that has a television that is linked to service, where moms can sit with their children and still see the service, and have an area with toys and a comfy place for the children.
we do offer classrooms for all ages starting at 6 months where the teachers actually teach the babies the creation story.

hope this helps, just ask for them to help

Hello
I go to St John the Baptist and they have a nice cry room. But I do remember when I was little there wasnt ever a cry room in my church. I think you should just take your child and if he starts acting up then take him out to the foyer for a short while then take him back in to the church do that over and over until he learns.

Have you tried making your need known? I would think that they would try to suit the member's needs. Are there any quiet activites your baby can do? My cousin made the cutest book from fabric. It had bottons, dolls, windows. Does your child color yet?

Hey! That church is just up the street from me! I go to Central Christian on Russle rd. I have four kids and I put them all in childcare... For the most part they will go their classes. And if their IS a problem, they just beep me. You have childcare at your church, right? Start putting him in childcare so he will get used to socializing with the other kids. It is very important for us to go to chuch every weekend. We need that spiritual lift. Don't let him control whether you go to service or not. Its not only for your benefit, but his as well. Take him to childcare and eventually he will learn to socialize with the other kids and it will get easier... And if they don't have childcare, try a church that does. I'm partial to Central Christian. The address is 1001 New Beginnings Drive Henderson, NV 89011. Stephen Baldwin is going to share his story about how he came to Christ, this weekend only.. Please email and let me know how things go!

When my children were very young, my husband didn't attend church with us. I had a newborn, a 17 month old and a 3 year old. I used to get dirty looks from other people because me kids were too loud and like you, I'd end up out in the foyer or just leaving. A wise grandmotherly mother took me aside one Sunday and told me just not to mind what the others thought about me and my kids. We were where Heavenly Father wanted us to be and as time went on, the kids would learn and I just had to keep on trying. Some days were better than others of course. I took quiet things with us for the kids to do; file folder games, quiet books, books, colors, color books etc. I don't think a one year old is too young to understand, especially if you do this every singe Sunday and set down your rules and stick by them, just like anything else you are trying to teach him. Pray for help as well - you can't go wrong there. There is a Christian bookstore on 2100 South and 900 East, I think it's called Lifeway; they have an entire room dedicated to children. Even if you aren't LDS, you can find great Christian, non-LDS children's stuff at Seagull Book. Good luck. :)

as a pastor's wife with a busy toddler I can feel for you! We seldom make it through the entire service and a lot of Sundays I wonder why I even go to church. But my husband is in the pulpit, so it is up to me to make sure out children have experience in a worship setting. Some advice a mother gave me after a truly frustrating sunday morning: if you don't practice being quiet at home, don't expect your child to know how to be quiet in church.

So try some quiet time at home--maybe even 10 minutes only to start out with. And if you have someone who will go to church with, you can take turns taking him out so you get spiritually fed as well! They get better as they get older!!!! hang in there and the rest of us moms with wild kids will too.

Most people love the sound of kids in worship--they are as much a part of God's family as the rest of us. Good luck!

What's your attachment to that particular church? If you've got family going... and have gone all of your life... stuff like that, I can understand the attachment. But, God is everywhere. Could you find another church of your denomination or a non-denominational church that better suites your family needs? There are a lot ot churches that have huge children's ministries for all ages.

Priorities: What's more important: Being faithful to the group of people that makes up your church and then, just dropping out, because you just can't make it happen? Or being faithful to God (who instructs us in his word to be a part of a community of believers), and diligently makeing a way for your entire family to have their spiritual needs met? That might require switching churches.

I am sure that if you pray about it, God will give you direction to which body of believers he want's you to be a part of -to serve and to be served (such as child care for your little one).

As far as the noisy little active one goes. I can relate. I too look at what I call, "the library moms" in envy, who have these quiet children who stick shyly by their side and just hug on them and snuggle so calmly only peeking at the rest of us. I don't know how they do it to train them that way. My children want to clap hands, pull at my jewelry, say "PRETTY!" really loud, fuss & shriek when they want to go down and run a muck. And my children are runners with no boundaries. Once they get going with happy little smiles on their faces - the energy takes over and they don't hear me say (yell) "stop". So a small, dark, "cry" room, that has other new mothers nursing sleepy babies doesn't cut it for my children also.

Children have spiritual needs also. They need to be taught about God and His word in creative ways, at their level, in a way that they understand. It's a great idea to get them started with this in the church right from the start so that they grow up being comfortable in the church, away from mom and dad for a while so that they get get fed some bible teachings, and practice a life time habit of participating as a part of the body of Christ. -Even if their participation is to just play and talk with the sweet child care ladies & grandmas for a while.

God Bless,

Your commitment is admirable. With His direction, you'll find a way.

I'm not really sure about the church thing, but have you tried quiet toys? maybe religious books that he can take with him? I am also a stay at home mom and looking for some friends with kids. I live in American Fork. you can email me at ____@____.com. I'd love to have some one for my little girl to play with. she is 7 month old.

1 / 3