Chronic Stomach Aches and Vomiting in 6-Year-old

I am seeking ideas for what could be wrong with my 6-year-old son. For the past two and half months he has complained a lot of stomach pain. Usually he blames it on gas or tells us within a few minutes that it has passed. I would blow it off to attention seeking behavior except that on 4 different occasions he has vomited. The vomiting has always been associated with a bowel movement. The past two times it has occurred during the early morning hours (about 5:30 a.m.). He has been asleep and woke up needing to poop. After the bowel movement he says his stomach hurts and within minutes he vomits. It happened again this morning. The stomach pain continued for about an hour, though much less intense, and completely vanished after a second bowel movement. He has been perfectly normal ever since.

My husband and I naturally have thought it was a touch of a stomach virus before, but now that it has happened twice early in the morning and then he's completely normal afterward is making us concerned. I should give you a bit of history with this. I have irritable bowel syndrome which gives me stomach aches on occasion, but I never vomit from it. My mother-in-law has had stomach issues most of her life and has had her large intestine completely removed, but neither my husband or I know what has caused that or if she had issues as a child. We are trying to reach her. My son has also had some difficulty with his best friend at school this year. His friend is being very bossy and saying things like he won't be his friend anymore if my son doesn't do what he says. I know it is bothering my son, but I can't imagine why he would wake up in the night and get sick. He shouldn't be thinking about that when he's sleeping and getting upset to the point of sickness, right? My son is also a perfectionist and fears doing anything wrong. He is also highly gifted (in the top .1 % on intelligence testing) and has food allergies - could these things contribute to a stomach issue?

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? Has anyone else gone through anything like this? It just seems strange and my husband and I are both getting quite concerned about it.

My son vomits when he is irregular- if he has been constipated for a few days- he may vomit then poop too- we eat lots of pears- and drink lots of pear juice to avoid this.

I would rule out a genetic stomach disorder or food allergies at the doctor's office. My oldest daughter sometimes has stomach problems when she is nervous or excited. Of her 7 birthdays, she has thrown up on 4 of them. She also gets very nauseated right before vacation. It could also be stress related, but I would see a doctor anyway.

You need to take your son to the doctor, especially if this had occurred more than once. Vomiting after a BM is NOT NORMAL. GET OFF OF YOUR COMPUTER AND SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION...NOW!!!

J. -- Take him to his doctor!

take him to the doctor and have them start to figure out what the real issue is.

Hi J.! Even at the beginning of your post I was wondering about stress. Every body processes stress differently. Even waking from a deep sleep to use the bathroom or be sick can be a part of the body trying to release stress.
I do think you should bring him to the doctor. A counselor might help too, if this *is* stress related.
I never thought that I was a "stressed out" person. I did find, though, that stress caused me to throw up on occasion. I also had stomach aches to the point of nearly passing out. So, even though I had no idea just how stressed I was, my body did know.
I hope you find a solution soon! I think it's wonderful that you are so sensitive to your son's needs!

This may sound like a funny question, but does your son refuse to use the restroom at school? What I believe is going on is 2 things...first the stomach ache may be that he is holding it all day because he does not want to use the restroom at school (maybe b/c of germs or he may just not want to miss anything in class)...second, since he is a perfectionist, he may be causing himself undue pressure (mentally)and they are manifesting themselves at night in his dreams. The pressure can be anything, for example a quiz, relationships with other kids, a class he does not like (for me it was gym). Just ask him a lot of questions about school...does this happen as badly on the weekends or mostly on school days? However, I still think you should take him to a GI doctor to make sure hhe is okay!

I have had issues with Crohns and stomach problems for most of my life.

Our son had that happen to him when he was little. I don't remember how long ago (he's 21 now) but he was about 8 or 9ish.

He would throw up everytime after he ate, and his stomach wa in intense pain. We ended up taking him to the emengency room and found out that he had a blocked intestine. Nothing wa going in or out. So that oculd be one thing.

It could be a number of things, but I really wouldn't wait to take him to the docotr. It is best to learn what's going on now, vs paying the price later.

Your family is in my prayers.

Hi J.-

I would check to see if your son has a wheat/gluten intolerance. Check out the celiac.com web site. His symptoms sound similar to a lot of kids out there. They can do a blood test to check for celiacs disease. This is one disease that is controlled by diet (no wheat or gluten).

We've dealt with chronic constipation for 5+ years and now are happily gluten-free!

1 / 3