Christmas Gifts for Married Children

Once your children are engaged or married what is appropriate or acceptable as far as Birthday and Christmas gifts for spouses and your grown children? Does a gift card for both of them for dinner or home improvement store seem too impersonal? Is it unfair to focus on the younger kids and maybe cut back on the older ones once they are married.

Wow! Thanks for all the responses. You guys have some really great ideas. And yes, six children are mine, one married, one engaged, the rest are little. Christmas is getting too expensive!! I also have 8 neices and nephews, one married. All of these kids are very dear to me and I like to give gifts. I just simply cant afford to buy a decent gift for everyone and I refuse to but junk.
So....I'm going with the gift cards for the married couples and the fiances,the little ones will get gifts of toys and the clothes that they need wrapped up. I like the basket idea and I think I will put the gift card in the basket with the wine etc. THANKS EVERYONE!!!

My husband and I have been married for 7 years and my mother in law always buys us a "house gift" and something small for each of us. If you can find out something they want/need for their home you can do that as their "house gift". I think a dinner gift card is perfectly acceptable-sometimes thats better than a house gift...a date nite!!

Gift cards are exactly what my husband and I WISH people would give us! I get super excited over Home Depot gift cards.

In our family, the kids get individual gifts, and for the adults there is a basket for each couple (or individual). Everyone contributes something homemade for it .. so if there are 8 couples then each couple would make 8 loaves of bread, jars of jam, cookies, etc. (one for each basket). That way everyone gets something, there are no hurt feelings over someone getting something "better" or any gifts that are not "wanted." We wanted to focus more on having everyone together and spending time as a family, and making it fun for the kids. :)

Being a married mother of four I'm thrilled when my mom, or my in-laws, focus on the kids. For birthdays (for us adults) an email or phone call and a card is great. For Christmas, if they want to give us something, it's usually a gift card to Lowes/Home Depot, or a restaurant where we can take the kids and enough to pay for a meal for all of us.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that, personally, I would not be offended if you didn't spend a whole lot on me personally. Hope that helps!

We dont give anything to our kids anymore, only the grandkids. A phone call is all the adults need. I do send birthday cards with money in them tho, I dont think any of us ever grow out of that.

I think it is the thought that counts. The way my mom handles it since she has 6 grandchildren to buy for is she usually gives my sister and I a personal gift and then gives us ( meaning myself and my SO, and my sister and her hubby) a family gift...sometimes it is a gift card to eat out, but she has also done towels, pots and pans. The kids always get one "fun/toy gift" and then some clothes. She does set a budget and she sticks to it. It is all about what people like, if the family is renovating a gift card to a home improvement store would be nice...I know my hubby and I love to read, so we would be over the moon happy with a gift card to a book store...I really do think it is the thought that counts and to me gift cards ARE thoughtful...good luck in whatever you decide. It is Not tacky to discuss what your plans are for the holidays...we have negotiated different gift giving rules over the years to keep it under control.

I love that my parents and my husband's parents give us money for our birthdays, Christmas and our Anniversary. They buy the grandkids an actual gift. When my kids are that age I will do the same.

My parents either ask me what I want or just give me a check. Christmas is for children we all know this. Plus young couples starting out can always use a gift card. As a mom, i like gift cards because I can use it to give me little gifts after Christmas to spread it out. Or sometimes a family gift is most appropriate like a Wii or small piece of furniture. Last year my mom bought me bedding. My in-laws give me gift cards or a family trip with them using their credit card points.
Hope this helps!
Suzy and her men

I don't think gift cards for the couple are a bad idea. I ask for giftcards to outbeak steakhouse all of the time :) This year i asked my mom for bedding. I don't think they would mind if you asked them what they needed?

1 / 3