Christmas Gifts - Aurora,CO

I don't celebrate Christmas because of my religion, and everyone at work knows that. Around Christmas I receive gifts from my co-workers and of course I don’t get anyone a gift. I don’t know if people think I am being rude. I had a conversation with one of my co-workers and she told me that I don’t have to get any gifts and people are getting me some because they want to and thy are not expecting anything from me. I still don’t feel very comfortable. Am I wrong?

I don't celebrate Christmas either, and my coworkers and friends all know. Still, they get me (Christmas or Hanukkah) gifts. I used to feel like I had to get everyone something, but realized that was just silly.

I don't feel uncomfortable about it, and since my coworkers continue to give me gifts, I assume they're fine with it too.

I do get gifts for a couple of my very close friends, but that's it.

Here's another idea. How about accepting the gifts, and letting the person know that, since you don't celebrate Christmas, you will be donating anything that you do receive to a woman's shelter, or some other charity. I bet they would be elated that someone thought of them!!

I think it is nice they include you even if they don't expect anything in return. That is a great gift. Just be thankful, you don't owe them an explanation if enough people know you do not celebrate that holiday. If it makes you feel that uncomfortable just try and bite your lip, honestly there are people out there that just love to give and refusing it could hurt their feelings. Maybe after the holidays make something yummy to bring in for everyone as a thank you for their kindness.

How about just giving someone a gift just because you appreciate them or love them and want to express that. I don't think you are celebrating christmas by doing that. Celebrating Christmas is celebrating the reason for that season which is celebrating the birth of Jesus our Savior. You don't have to believe that but you can still take part in showing your appreciation or love for people you work with or for.
just a thought...

I think that they sould respect what you believe in. even if people Don't agree they shouldn't agravate you. I think you should just tell them, I can't except your gift. and maybe in the future they will stop.

Yes Christmas is the celebration of Jesus Christ's birth, well if you don't believe in that it's understandable why you wouldn't give a gift. However the spirit of giving out of love is something we can all enjoy. Making someone feel good because you thought about them definetly isn't a bad thing, no religion looks down on that practice or at least they shouldn't.

I agree with you. Your coworkers should respect you and your beliefs- and not bring you gifts. Tell them in respecting your beliefs..."That is the greatest gift you could get, respect".

Whoa, Cathy. For you to ASSUME that because someone doesn't celebrate Christmas is because they don't know "Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior" is COMPLETELY off base. I have been a "Christian" my entire life and I KNOW Yahshua is my salvation. When you find that it says He was born on December 25th in the Bible, let me know, because I know I haven't seen it. Your assumptions were rash and unjust, I don't think that's very "Christ like." That's all I'm going to say about that.

Z.-we don't celebrate Christmas either. It took our families a few years to understand that. They would invite us over or try to give us gifts, but we would gently decline. I think co-workers are going to be a little different. I know what you mean about being uncomfortable. If they know that you don't celebrate Christmas, but still give you gifts, maybe you should just accept them. All of my coworkers respected the fact that I didn't celebrate Christmas, so they didn't give me anything.

If you want to talk more, feel free to message me!

xoxoxo

1 / 3