Christmas Gift for Kindergarten Teacher

Hey moms,

I have seen this question before at one point, so I'm sorry for the repeat. I was thinking of getting my son's teacher a gift card for Christmas. I know that a lot of times teachers have to spend their own money on supplies (my mom was a teacher), so would a gift card to a teacher supply store be a good idea? Any teahcers out there with an opinion? Thanks for your help!

Thanks everyone. We got a lot of different ideas and are trying to inlcude them all in some way or another. We decided to get her a gift card to the movie theatre (she was recently engaged and we thought that a movie would be a good date). This way, the gift is for her only. We will get her a "Thank you" end of the year giftcard in June. We'll make that one a card to a teacher supply store.

Thanks for all your help. I wish you all a very Happy Holiday season.

I asked my mother-in-law this same question this past weekend, as she has been a teacher for over 30 years. While she said she always appreciated any gift, the ones that meant the most were ones that were personal and/or homemade. She said that she has received several gift cards to teaching supply stores, but she never gets around to using them until the beginning of the next school year. With that being said, she suggested a gift card to Starbuck's, Jamba Juice, a bagel shop, etc. that can be used on their way to school.

I was searching for a gift for my son's kindergarten teacher, so that is why I asked her. I plan on having my son decorate an altoid box and putting the gift card inside and then giving her a plate of homemade cookies,that I know she likes.

I teach Preschool and have loved gift cards. 'Teaching Stuff' is a good store! Even a Target gift card can be appreciated. I remember buying myself a cool in pool lounger at the end of a year with a gift card from a student and I remember which student it was from. I've also appreciated ornaments given to me in the past. However you can only display so much apple decor, no matter how cute it is.

Hi K.-
My daughter is a Kingergarten teacher and I know she would appreciate a gift card. She is always running over to the teaching tool/school supply store in Ahwahtukee to pick up stuff she needs.

I am a preschool teacher and one of the best gifts I got last year was a gift card for a pedicure. I loved all the gift cards to the movies and eating out and stuff... they were awesome but I had never thought about giving a spa gift card... it was great and will do it with my own kids teachers from now on!!
Good luck :)

Hi K.-

I have older kids not, middle school age, but when they were younger I would always give a more personal gift. I would find out the teachers likes and then go from there. I think a gift to anyone but especially a teacher that is from the heart and has had time put into picking it out or making it is best. It shows the teacher that you really care and appreciate them for being a great person in your childs life.

I know that times are hard right now and gift cards would be nice, but instead of giving supplies and such for the holidays, can I suggest that you let the teacher know that you can help her throughout the year with supplies. My kids' teachers always appreciated it when I came in and asked if there is something that they need for the class. Then you can always find it on sale and just send it in. I would randomly send in bags of supplies and the teachers loved it. I hate thinking that the teachers have to spend their own money on things, it's just not right. So you can help them year round by just being kind and spending a few dollars here and there.

Now that my kids are older, I send their teachers baked goods for the holidays and pack them in a resuable container. Last year and I think this year it will be granola. It was a big hit last year and its a gift from the heart.

Good Luck :)

W.

great idea. I used to teach K. i would have loved that.

I am a former kinder-teacher and YES a gift card would be a wonderful gift. It could be from a teacher supply store or even an office supply store. A no-cost gift that would be very much appreciated is a gift of your time. Help with class activities, or schedule a regular time you can come in each week. If you cannot be at the school, offer to cut things out or see if there are some other things you could do from home. It could save the teacher countless hours she spends on the weekends preparing for the class.

I think you can go ahead and get her some supplies but in the end, they arent for her they are for the classroom. A gift card to target or a food place would probalby be nicer

the teacher store in town is "learning is fun"... spent a lot of money there!

1 / 3