Christmas Crafts to Do with Kids

I am interested in new ideas for Christmas crafts that kids from 5 to 12 can do for ill have about teachers gifts,personal gifts to friends and family or holiday keepsakes.

I received so many good ideas and websites to go to. Thank you for helping me I should have ideas for a few more years. What a great source of information . Thank you Mamasource. Happy Holidays to all.

hi I am a grandmother and I love doing crafts with my grandkids too... this year we are painting pots for plants.. this way it is personal and very special as they can do what the want on the pots.. I have picked up paints from the hardware store that have samples or someone did not like the color... cheap.. and we paint the bottom one color and the rim so far has been gold.. then add a zip lock baggie with potting soil and a pack of seeds or a plant.. GREEN gift.. and we all love plants.. Have fun.. Happy Holidays.. Merry Christmas too..

Well all I can think of at the moment are hand decorated ornaments and clothes pin reindeer.
The ornaments are pretty simple. Just buy some glass ornaments, glue, glitter, or glitter paint. For the older kids they can use regular paint too. Then just cut them loose to decorate them. If you're worried about a mess I would suggest putting down newpaper.
The clothespin reindeer are made from the old fashioned clothes pins glue two facing down and one facing up. Then decorate with googly eyes and small red fluffy balls or circles cut out of felt.
You can also do paper crafts like cut and paste snowmen with construction paper. Or cut out snowflakes and decorate with glitter and markers. You can also make candycane reindeer with brown pipecleaners fashioned into antlers and felt for ears. Same ideas for the nose and eyes as the clothespin reindeer. Hope this offers you some new ideas.

My absolute favorite craft when I was young were
"Walnut Mice". I am sure you have done theses before, but I still love doing them and giving each mouse a different personality to match the person that I am giving them to. We sometimes also use the walnut as a bed, for newborn or first Christmas gifts. Here is a link... This website looks great also. Have fun!
http://crafts.kaboose.com/walnut-shell-mouse.html

Hi P.,
Congrats on crafting w/ kids for so long. Have you done the ornaments that are half cinnamon and half applesauce? Mix together to make a dough,roll out to about 1/4"--1/2". Cut out with cookie cutters. Be sure to use a little straw--like a coffee stirrer to cut out a hole about 1/2" from the edge, no closer, or ornament will break. Leave out on countertop to dry. A cookie sheet or tile surface works best. Sticks to paper towel,foil or wax paper. (Even putting them in a low oven makes them dry too fast and crack.) After a couple hrs, I flipped mine over so they would dry evenly and not look "melted". They will get rock hard. Loop a ribbon or heavy string through the hole to hang. One year I made stars. When they were thoroughly dry, I used gold glitter paint to outline the cut edge. The ornaments look and smell pretty. Use them for pkg decorations too. I reminded my first grade class to follow the star, like the 3 wise men did. Go,Granny,Go! HTH, C.

You have a lot of great ideas--one we got last year from another "mom" on this site was to take the tumbled tiles that you can get at home depot or lowes, stamp them, and bake. We stamped them with the last name initial and used them as coasters. I still see them at the relatives homes and we use ours daily. They were so easy. We used the small tiles, but if you used a 6x6 it could be used as a hot plate too.
have fun!

2 of my favorite sites,
www.craftbits.com and www.dltk-kids.com

These two are full of ideas that will last you another 25 years!
I have crafted for years and years and years, and hardly ever have to go back to the same ones. Of course there are some that friends and family have come to expect from us.
Good Luck and happy crafting.

What about doing bath products? www.notmartha.org has some hom made bath bombs and lip gloss. What about simply decorating cookies? I would try to think of things that didnt sit around and become clutter. My teacher friends always have a ton of basically junk that they dont want to throw out because there student gave it to them. But its just something more to dust. Not trying to be rude at all here. You can always make little snow globes with glass jars. Oh look on not martha also for the maganets. Those go over wonderful and are great christmas gifts. I use altoids cans for the container just glue tissue paper or paint the box. Good luck.

Just a couple of ideas that I used to do with my children when they were small. We would buy wreaths...any size and decorate them with different ornaments by hot gluing them....or one year we made little bird houses. You can buy a plain bird house at different craft stores for very little and then we painted them and they kids either painted designs on them or glued ornaments on them....personalized the gift and everyone loved these ideas. We did stockings one year too...Lots of fun.

1 / 3