Christening Advice- My Little Neice Is Being Baptized - What Do I Get as a Gift?

Hi- My brother and sister-in-law are christening their child next month and I want to send a gift (they are in California)- what is an appropriate gift for a baptism? Any ideas are welcome! Thanks!

Hey M.: I was recently faced with this same situation.
It's hard to know what to give. I finally decided on a
savings bond and both parents were very pleased with it.

A friend sent these for both of my daughters and I loved them! Go to www.craftefamily.com. They have baptism blocks that are totally personalized with the childs name, date, a bible verse, church name, etc. It's something really nice that you actually want to keep!

My SIL got my daughter an engraved bracelet from James Avery. It has little angels on it and her name and birthdate. You could engrave name and baptism date. This is not necessarily for her to wear, rather a keepsake for her to have the rest of her life. It could probably be ordered and shipped with ease.

M. :)

http://www.grammies-attic.com/new-white-keepsake-hanky-bo...
Here is a link to my favorite christening gift. It is a bonnet that turns into a hanky to be carried on her wedding day. My sister acctually made this for us out of a hanky that my husband and I had gotten in Curico on our honeymoon. So special!
Other gifts we recieved that were wonderful were savings bonds, jewelry, and an heirloom bible that my in-laws had recieved on their wedding day. The most meaning full gifts cost nothing, like the hanky and the heirloom bible. My aunt made my daughter the most beautiful beaded braclet.

How about a savings bond that she can cash in when she is ready for college. Or Her first bible, (kid's version). Or set up a small savings account/trust fund that you can add to for her birthdays and Christmas and high school graduation. Between your annual deposits, and the interest she can end up with a nice lump sum at graduation. You can even allow others to add to it if they choose as well.

Friends of ours had bought our son a children's bible. He was a baby at the time, but once he got older, he enjoyed us reading it to him and then later reading it to himself. He is 9 now and still reads it from time to time.

Hi M.
The usual gifts are something made from silver - a silver bracelet, bib-pin (engraved with her name), silver egg cup and spoon, silver tooth saver (My First Tooth) and such...
But another great idea is to open up a bank account (savings) for your little niece and place the details in the Christening Card. Ensure that no-one can draw from this account and you will always be able to add to it at Christmas and Birthday times if she should become one of those children who ends up with too many toys, books, etc.
Jewel

I don't know what religion your brother's family is. In my group of relatives, prayer books, rosaries, bibles in the children's version and things of that nature are appropriate gifts. There are religious stores that cater to specific occassions. For our Catholic faith, there is a store named Salve Regina that has many great items.

Surely there are some online places with baptismal things. I've never looked; but, surely there are other Moms out there who have. You'll be hearing from them.

Best wishes,
R.

If it's a Catholic baptism, please keep in mind that it's a different bible. My mother-in-law is Baptist and bought my daughter a King James version and I'm not sure if she just didn't know us Catholics have a different bible, or if she's being her typical mean self. So, please keep that in mind.

1 / 3