Chores for a 7 Year Old?

Hi there,
My seven year old son avoids work of all kind with a lot of creativity. I am curious about what chores/ responsibilities other moms require of their kids to make sure I am not asking too much. Thanks!

My daughter, who is eight, has to do the following chores:
1. take the dog out in the afternoon
2. wash dishes
3. clean her room
4. put away her clothes
5. help me with her younger brother and sister from time to time.
She hated doing these things too. I worked them in gradually and did them with her at first. It helped.

Hi there, I have a 10,9 and a 4 year old they do chores like loading the dishwasher and feed the dogs. They also have to keep their rooms clean. Now the 4 year old just has to clean up her toys and make her bed and they all have to brush their teeth.

I have a "chore chart" for my children. My boys are 6 and 5. My daughter is not 3 yet, so she is exempt! :)
My children must do the following:
get dressed
brush their teeth
make their beds
put dirty clothes in hamper
make sure room is tidy
do their homework
clear their dishes from the table after eating all meals
keep the playroom tidy when done playing

They earn stars for doing these basic things. If they need to be reminded of these things, they risk losing a star.
After they earn enough stars they can get stickers as a reward.
As they get older I will include things like: cleaning their bathroom, filling the dishwasher, etc. But then of course, I'm sure they won't want Spiderman stickers anymore! :)

My 8 year old daughter must pick up her room every night. Also she has to make her bed, get her clothes out for the next day and make sure she brushes her teeth. She is rewarded for finishing her tasks.

My 5 year old is responsible for feeding and watering our cats, setting the table, keeping his room straight and dusting the living room (within reason and I do NOT expect perfection. It just keeps him busy). He also helps me with the laundry. He loves to load the washer and dryer. I do not let him handle the soaps or settings. He has a very sturdy stool that we allow him to use.

1. take the dog out in the afternoon
2. wash dishes
3. clean her room
4. put away her clothes

Hi there,
I just found a great website in a magazine. It's kind of like webkins, except instead of earning points by playing games, you earn points for doing your chores and stuff. it looks pretty cool. it's www.handipoints.com. it has charts and stuff to help track his progress too. hope this helps!
C..

My daughter is only 2, so we are not at the chores stage yet, obviously, but my sister has an almost 8 year old and a 6 year old (and a 2 year old but he doesn't do chores, again, obviously). Her 8 and 6 year old have to do small things like clean up their rooms, straighten/make their beds, clean up their toys, etc. Its nothing set on a weekly basis or anything like that and its not always enforced strictly, either but rather encouraged. It teaches them to be responsible for their personal belongings and taking care of their things, especially since their 2 year old brother likes to get into their things! Good luck!

My daughter just turned 9 years old. She has been helping around the house since she was 4. Started small and worked up to bigger things.
1. collect trash cans in bathroom and bedrooms and dump in big trash can in the garage
2. help collect laundry, transfer clean clothing from washer to dryer, put own clothing away
3. help with gardens: water, pull weeds, collect ripened tomatoes, help husk corn, collect rippened peppers, etc.
4. helps dust furniture
5. can clean some dishes (no glass or heavy duty pots/pan)
There are more things, but just can't think of them right now. I believe chores now help them develope a good work ethic.

1 / 3