Chores - Cedar Lake,IN

I am wondering what type of reward systems you moms use with your children. I have found an awesome chore chart and want to offer "rewards" when things are done properly. I just am not sure how to value the chores-I am really liking the marble jar for each child.....what rewards do you offer your children? I really want this time around to be the last-I've made several charts before and never followed through with anything.....with it being summer I definately need the help and they need to learn a little responsibility/appreciation. Thanks!!!!!
EDIT-I have 4 dd twins that are almost 9, 4y/o and 3 y/o. I was thinking that I could rotate chores or do cards or let them pick their chore sometimes.

I think it's important to be rewarded for good work. We as adults get rewarded for good work by getting jobs, raises, bonuses, etc.
I have my 9 year old keep her room clean, feed the dog, put away her things, watching the baby for me while I do housework, etc. BUT, she has to do it with a good attitude.
She has a list that she goes by daily and she is rewarded by getting allowance and extra for doing extra stuff like ice cream from the ice cream truck, a treat from the dollar store, etc.

I think that just telling them what a great job they do and how much it helps everyone when everyone works together to keep things in order. Everyone has responsibilities in life and it is important to teach kids through life jobs.

I don't offer rewards for doing chores. They live in the house so why shouldn't they help keep it clean and neat. Why reward them for cleaning up after themselves. I provide for them, teach them, care for them...... why should I have to reward them for respecting what my husband and I have provided for them? That's expected behavior. If I lived in someones house I wouldn't expect them to reward me for cleaning up after myself. I would do it out of gratitude for their kindness.

I guess it depends on their age. My 8 yr old son has daily chores (making bed, clearing table, rinsing out bathroom sink, cleaning litterbox, etc.) and once a week chores (Saturday is laundry day so emptying hamper and bringing his dirty clothes downstairs to put in basket on top of dryer so I can wash them, putting away clean clothes, cleaning room etc.) for which he gets an allowance every friday. He can spend his allowance on whatever he wants. Since we have implemented it it works our wonderfully, he only needs to be reminded once in a while...and it's a regular and reliable reward system that teaches him responsibility.

There is no reward (or allowance) for doing chores in my house. As members of the family, my children have certain responsibilities and they have to do them.

A sanity helper I did one year was a dime bowl. I had a "no teasing, tattling, or whining" rule. If they did NOT do any of those all day, they would each get a dime for the bowl. You can give them warnings, like if they start to whine, you can remind them about the dime. If they start to tattle and you remind about the dime, it's amazing how quickly they can work it out themselves. On a particularly off day, you can warn that if they continue to tease, tattle, or whine that you will start taking a dime OUT of the bowl for each infraction!! You might want to have more than one bowl since you have 4 kids (one for the twins and one for the younger ones, or 4 seperate bowls).... Then the dimes were used to buy slurpees as a summer treat. It worked for us one summer years ago. It got to the point where they forgot about the long term goal of the slurpee and they just worked to try and each get their dime for the day.

Well the most important thing is to be consistant. You and your children. Make clear who does what and be sure to show them how you want things done, then ask them to show you they know how and ask if they have any questions...this eliminates the good ole "I didn't know!" lol

With it being summer, small, inexpensive trips to ice cream, smoothie, park etc would be appropriate. If you are taking a family trip perhaps a monetary compensation for some spending fun would be motivating to them. If you have more then 1 child, remember that each child is motivated by something different, prizes, praise, money, trips, perhaps clothes or a new pair of earrings! Hope this helps

I NEVER kept up with chore charts and point systems! They always start to work and then they are more work keeping them up!

My almost-9-year-old has a notebook. Each day has her routine on it, her morning routine, her chores for the day, bedtime routine, etc. I have everything in plastic sheets. She crosses off her chores with a dry erase marker when she has completed them. At the end of the week we wipe it down to use again. This lets her be independent. When she was younger we had pictures too.

Instead of a sticker chart or anything she's just expected to do her chores. HOWEVER, we are lucky enough to have a House Fairy! Our House Fairy visits once a week to see if the room is clean and chores are done. We never know when she is coming! So we need to keep our chores done and our rooms clean at all times. Our House Fairy leaves a small surprise on the pillow if the chores are done, but she leaves fairy dust (confetti) on the rug if they are not. And the fairy dust has to be vacuumed up.

Our House Fairy has made it possible for Mom to not have to do sticker charts! But a small reward is given each week, I think our House Fairy shops at the dollar section at Target ;)

Visit www.housefairy.org to see the website, but you don't have to join to tell your kids about the House Fairy. I joined to support this wonderful idea. Our House Fairy has been coming for over a year and is very successful!

I think all your children would love the House Fairy, she's magic. And you could do cards for the kids to pick their chores. My DD leaves notes for the House Fairy :) The House Fairy is very proud of her!!

I think it's ok to reward once in a while. When we started, we had a little chart with all of the chores listed, and the boys got stickers when they did their chores and after the chart was complete, we did something fun. But we don't do that now. I think it's important for the kids to understand that everyone lives in the house together, and everyone has responsibilities, even them (i.e. Mommy washes your clothes, but it is your job to put them in the hamper for me to take). It's a great way to teach your kid how to be a productive member of society without always doing things because they expect something in return. I say kudos for you for getting them started now! The sooner the better.

By the way, kids do love the feeling of being important and having responsibility. You will see the pride on their face when they finish a task. Be sure to give lots of good praises, and say how proud you are when they do their work! Good luck.

1 / 3