Chore Charts and Rules

Im looking for help in Chore Charts and allowances.
I have a 13 yr old daughter and 8 yr old son!

i have found very little on things searching the internet.
Just wondering what all u ladies have your kids do and what amounts are good and fair?
How do u deduct points/money? for not doing the chore or how do u work it all out??

Im looking for chores and how much money to give

I have a few small things that include
cleaning your room, dirty clothes in the hamper, picking up toys/your things, feeding/water the dogs, wiping the sink out, cleaning up the bathroom after yourself, emptying the bathroom and your room trash cans, picking up around the house what your asked to help with (cups, dishes, papers)

Some things arent everyday thou! of course so Im looking for somne things to add in and so forth

ALSO!! BIG ONE!! I am trying to find a way to make my son remember to take his pills EVERYDAY. Hes on pepcid ac for his acid reflux and he tends to forget to take them and some days simply refuses them. I know hes tired of taking them every single day 2 times a day but he needs to so his tummy dont hurt. *Were hoping that this is what the actual problem is-but its so hard to tell*
And I will admit theres days I forget and I have them right on the counter in fromt of everything! Ugh! Its such a hassle

Should I reward him when he takes them all week long *both times a day*??? Or is that just a dumb idea??

Hi B., my 8 year old daughter takes 2 meds every day for allergies and asthma. We have them right with her toothbrush in the medicine cabinet and she automatically knows when she brushes her teeth before bed, she takes her pills. It's worked out great for us.
Also, about the chores, we have tried "Chore sticks". I saw it on tv but can't remember what show. You take jumbo popsicle sticks and write a different chore on each stick with a dollar amount for each one (anything from 25 cents to $1 for big tasks) Make a poster and put the sticks in an envelope at the top. Have each child design their very own envelope however they want to attach near the bottom of the poster. The kids pick out a stick, have to do that chore, then stick it in their envelope. At the end of the week, they add up the different amounts and see how much money they made that week. It's worked out pretty well for us so far. If you didn't want to reward with money, you could always put something else on the stick they would look forward to. You could even do "points" and give them a goal to work toward (when you get 5 points, we go to McDonalds, etc.) Hope I helped some! Good luck

I have a 12 year old daughter and she does every thing on her chore chart EXCEPT cleaning her room.

Here is what I do.

I get poster board and construction paper. I usually make up daily lists, weekly lists and monthly lists.

I put in her daily chores, her weekly chores and monthly chores on their respected pages.

On a different page I explain rules, benefits, and what happens if a job is not done.

For example.

Daily chores:
Morning:
After shower, put all dirty clothes into laundry basket in bathroom, wipe out tooth paste, put your hair things away, and pick up towels, close shower curtain.

Bring down all dishes from your room and put into sink.

Eat breakfast.

After School.

If I am AT WORK

Let dogs out
Feed and water all animals
run vacuum
sweep kitchen
Do homework

If I am home

Unload dishwasher
Do Homework
Clean your room

After supper

If I am at work
Unload and reload dishwasher, put away clean ones.
wipe off counters, tables, stove, etc.

If I am home
Wipe down counters, tables, stove, etc.

I then have rewards. She is to put a sticker by completed chores and depending on how many stickers she has, is how much money she receives.

If NOTHING is done, she gets her computer time taken away.

I liked the response you received about the chore chart. We keep a copy on the fridge, and in each of their bedrooms. You shoudl have a set amount for each day. If my kids do everything for the day, everyday, they get 5$. Otherwise it is a 1$ a day for the days they did do work. Of course, I still buy them things outside of allowance which I should not do, but...sometimes I think 5$ isnt enough when they do extra. So it turns out to be a bonus....ps, my children also have to set the table and they sometimes help with dinner...which I love.

Hi B.. I've sent you some of what's on my kids charts as well as a discription of how I go about them. But as far as your son's medication, I wouldn't reward him per say, but you could include that as one of his responsibilities that he earns credit for over a weeks time. Remembering medication is sometimes hard to do so putting reminders in easy places should help. Maybe you could keep the meds in easy access locations in day by day pill holders to keep better track, maybe next to his tooth brush since that is used at least twice a day?

As for allowance, I'm not a supporter for it. I don't give my children an allowance and I have strict rules over money they earn, find, or are given. I feel that my children should learn their responsibilities without payment, simply to know the self satisfaction of having done what they should do as responsible people. No one pays me to wash the dishes or take care of the laundry and I don't want them feeling that they should be paid for daily responsibilities. If my children want something they earn it by behaving as they should and keeping up with their responsibilities. They then ask for the item, or what not, and usually get it but when they don't it's explained why they didn't. 50% of all monies they receive is saved in a checking account the other 50% is theirs to spend as they choose. Funny thing is, they both usually opt to save the full 100%. I doubt I'll ever give an allowance. At some point I may have jobs they can earn money for doing, as we already do, but I don't think I'll ever give them a set amount each month.

The best thing I ever did with my kids was to sit down with them in a family meeting. We all had paper and took a few minutes to write down what we felt we were responsibile for or could do in our household to be responsible as well as help around the house. Then we all wrote down what we felt each person other than ourselves should do. We discussed it and narrowed it down to a list of responsibilities for each person. Then we came up with what we felt was fair for each thing if it wasn't done and went from there. That way there were not surprises, everyone agreed on each thing, and we all knew what everyone in the house was expected to do. Family meetings are wonderful things!

Hi B.,
I just wanted to share an idea...I wo uld imagine you drive your son to school everyday. I remember to do the medication thing-I have a little note by the door handle that says medication. We use the same door every day so that just reminds me incase I forget. I also keep some pills in the car so that when I see the medication sign, I don't have to go back in the house to get them I just grab one in the car. Hope that helps a little.

I also wanted to add..an friend of mine with older kids doubles up the price of chores but has the kids keep 1/2 and then they deposit the other 1/2 into thier college savings account-but you could do a car acct. or whatever. Anyway I thought that was a fun way to teach them about saving $.

Hi B.,

I think one thing to remember here is that the kids should not get rich from an allowance. So big bucks is not necessary. It is a responsibility that they should do weekly, daily or when ever needed with some compensation. Make a list of chores want done and let them choose. Pay goes according to the number of chores, frequency, and diffiulty of the chore. I wouldn't pay more then $5-$10 per week per child. I'm sure they'll fuss and crab about it, but added responsibility comes with age. They need to learn sometime.

I feel chores are extra responsiblities such as setting the table, washing & drying the dishes, putting the clean dishes from the dishwasher away, dusting, feeding, watering and picking up after the dog. Cleaning up after themselves in the bathroom,and keeping their rooms picked up are expected responsibilities, which are not part of the allowance.

The chores need to be appropriate for their age. Your older daughter should have more responsibility with maybe a little more compansation. She's at the age that she'll want to start doing things, so her allowance allows her to do that. Have her pay a percentage af what it costs, instead of a 100% handout from mom & dad. Your son may not care about money now, so he should be taught to put most in the bank with some spending $ to use on something he really wants to buy or do.

As far as deducting pay if chores are not done could be different from child to child. If they love the $ then that would hurt, but if they don't care then it wouldn't matter. I feel the best thing would be to take away important things such as the phone conversations, video games, time with friends, or early to bed if the job is not done. This may get their attention a little faster.

It will be important to be consistant in making them do it, if not they will be lax and not follow through.

K. :)

Have a strep level (blood test) done for his stomach ache, at 8 years old strep is frequently manifested as a stomach ache. Also, he is to young to remember to take pills.

Hi B.,

I have a seven year old daughter and I'm trying to keep her on a routine as well. I have just received some great information from a friend how to keep them on track. You take a pape protector that you use for binders and when you create the chore chart you put it in the page protector and hang it on the refrigerator. When the child finishes the chore they can cross it off with a dry erase marker and then when they are finished with that day you switch out days and they can clean off the page protector. I will send you what I have made and you can use it or make the changes that you want. I give my daughter $5 per week, and if she is consistant or does other things without us asking I will give her a bonus! I will send that chore chart to your e-mail and I hope you find it helpful.

N.

1 / 3