Choking/coughing While Eating

My 9 week old daughter Mia chokes/coughs almost every time she eats. I only breast fed for the first 2 weeks, then I stopped producing milk, so I had to switch to formula. I always make sure the formula is completely mixed in so there are no clumps, but almost every time she eats she chokes and coughs, and her face turns red. Is she eating or swallowing too fast? I am a new mom and very new to this, has anyone else experienced this? She goes to her 2 month old appt tomorrow and I will be asking, but I was wondering if this is normal?

Try a different nipple - the flow might be too fast for her and she's getting too much in her mouth. Use the newborn nipples.

Maybe you can try a different nipple on the bottle. Could be that the one you are using has too big of a hole and she is getting more in her mouth than she can swallow at once...

My baby did the same thing, but I was nursing. My lactation consultant told me that my flow was too fast, so I had to pump before feeding so the flow was slower and the milk was thicker. Maybe switch to a smaller hole in the nipple of the bottle? I would guess that might help. Good luck!

hi C., are you feeding her formula and cereal from a bottle? the reason I am asking is because one of my daycare moms has been feeding her baby likethat since she was 6 weeks, the problem was that she made the hole in the nipple bigger, which was fine but she made it a little to big, and so when Julianna would drink the bottle she would choke and cough because it was coming out to fast and she couldn't swallow as fast as it was coming out. Your baby may be having the same problem, check the bottle nipples, J. L.

You are using the wrong nipple on her bottle! Get a newborn nipple with a slower flow. or switch to an Avent bottle with a newborn nipple.

You might want to try a slow flow nipple, sometimes the nipples are too big so the milk/formula comes out too fast.

You might want to check the speed of the nipple flow or try switching to a bottle that has different size nipples. Avent has a really good nipple system.

Hi C.-
I am a mom and a feeding therapist. It sounds like the flow of the formula is too fast for your daughter to coordinate. You can look for nipples with a slower flow. You can also try sitting her up a little more to reduce the flow. If those approaches don't work you may want someone (pediatrician or Occupational Therapist) to see if she is having difficulties coordinating her suck, swallow, breath; but I bet the above modifications will help.
Best Wishes,
H.

The flow is too fast. Get a nipple with a smaller flow/hole and give little breaks in between. Don't forget to write down your questions for your appointment. :)

1 / 3