Chocolate Cake for Babies First Birthday?

My in-laws have given 2 of their kids and all 4 grandkids chocolate cake for the first birthday. I have read that chocolate chould be avoided until 18 months of age. I am a first time mom an a bit overprotective and do not want to give my son chocolate cake. Any suggestions?

My son had chocolate cake for both of his parties (babysitter and home) and he played with it more than he ate. The mess was so much a part of the fun! I made the cakes in the shape of teddy bears, with cupcakes for ears, so he had the cupcake part. He's 3 1/2 now and although he does like sweets, he'll ask for fruit first.

I had my first child at 40 years old and I too was very overprotective. I also breastfed my child until 2 years old (never planned to breastfeed at all and especially not past 6 months, but that's another story). Anyway, as the previous responder noted, giving your child chocolate cake, one time won't be an issue. And, most infants, spend more time playing with the cake than eating it. I say ENJOY! Many Blessings - L.

I actually just took my 2nd child to his 9-month well baby checkup and his pediatrian (Dr. Dickey is probably the most intelligent doctor I have ever met. She has both her Ph.D. in child development/biology and, obviously, her M.D.) recommended a chocolate birthday cake for the "fun factor." I was surprised at the note on his paperwork. However, if your family has no history of a chocolate allergy, you probably don't have anything to worry about. Plus, most allergies are developed from being exposed to something repetedly. Good luck!

I really don't think that it is all that big of a deal to have a chocolate cake for their first birthday. After all, most kids just eat the icing anyway. Keep the frosting vanilla and have the cake any flavor you want. Unless they are allergic of course. My opinion is that it won't hurt them. It's all about them having fun with it anyway. The adults are really the ones who will be eating it anyway.

R.

We served a very healthy cake with mashed potato icing for the first bithday. It was made in the shape of a barn for a baryard bash. All the kids ate it and loved it. If you want more info email. Why risk it. Why start something. Your child will have so many years of chocolate cake.

Why not letting your inlaws make a carrot cake, better than chocolate.

I totally agree with Ali. Go with your gut and put the blame on your pediatrician if you need to avoid an argument. He's your son, not theirs.

Growing up I always thought a big part of baby's 1st birthday was chocolate cake. I was surprised to see how many don't give in with the choc. My son had choc on his 1st and since then (during the past 6 months) has only had a taste of choc once or twice. I say embrace the tradition, unless you really do have reasons against it. It is a big mess, but the fun and pictures really make it worth while! I put my son in a white T-shirt just so I could show him one day how much fun he had on his first birthday - stains and all. Suggestion: straight from the highchair, wrap him in a big old towel and then take him to an already drawn, warm tub of water so you can 'dunk' him for easy clean up!

Ah, in-laws. Sometimes it seems like everyone has an opinion on how to raise your child, and if you don't do it their way, you're overprotective, etc. ...

If you don't want him to have chocolate cake, tell them. "My pediatrician says no chocolate til he's at least 18 mo. He can have chocolate for his second birthday, but for this one, let's make in vanilla." If they argue or give you a hard time, refer to your pediatrician. You're following doctor's orders.

ALWAYS stick to your guns when you feel you should/shouldn't do something for your child.

1 / 3