Chipped Baby Teeth

My sweet baby girl (15 months) fell today and chipped both her front teeth. They look terrible. What do they do to fix them on baby teeth? Cost or Does insurance cover this? One tooth is a bit wiggly. She has an appointment in the morning. Just wondering what to expect. She will hate every minute of it as she is going through stranger anxiety right now. She may lose her mind when they want to look and touch in her sore mouth. We are going to a pediatric dentist so I'm sure they have been through this a lot. My anxiety over this is killing me. I'd appreciate any advise or sharing of an experience. Thanks!

Thanks for all your input. The dentist took xrays and the roots of the teeth are not cracked, so we will hope for the best. He said baby teeth can still die months after an accident like this, so to watch for any changes in color of the teeth. As for the chips he wouldn't recommend doing anything right now. Messing with them adds insult to injury and we don't want to cause any more trauma to the teeth. In 2 weeks he said he will re-evaluate and then at that time, if all looks good, file them down or put on composite. He suggested just filing them even though they still won't look the best. He said that the composite is easily chipped again by toddlers that put everything in their mouths. In his experience he said that one year olds that have the composite done are back to have it repaired 3 to 4 times before they lose their baby teeth around 6 years of age. So could get expensive and be a big trauma to hold her down to have it done. I don't think I'm up for that. I guess I have at least 2 weeks to think about it. It is just so shocking to see her smile with these jagged teeth. I guess we will get used to it. It will add character - Right!

My daughter fell this past winter on the front steps and chipped her front teeth too. After 6 weeks one tooth discolored and they pulled it out. It was dramatic, but as soon as we got home that day she was so happy and back to her old self. She has had no problems whatsoever with it. I took her to Camp Smile in Plymouth in the west health building. They were awesome. Don't worry at all. It is very common.She'll be just fine:)

My daughter had both front teeth loose and discolored from a fall around 3 years old one so bad they had to pull it out 6months later the other one was gray and loose for another at least 3 years but now shes 8 and both teeth are growing in and are white and look great. So as long as the permanate teeth come in good a few younger years of maybe not so pretty teeth are not to bad! Also do not worry about speech because it does not effect there speech in any way ! Also if shes the first kid to loose her teeth in school it is considered TOTally cool to them !!!!! Try not to worry!!!

For future reference remember this accident because 20,30,40 years from now she may experience forshortening of the roots in the adult teeth that are hiding below the gums of the teeth that were damaged. Even though they don't show yet they are under the gums waiting and a blow to the mouth can cause future problems that may not show up until years after the accident is forgotten. I know this only because I worked for several years as a dental assistant.

I have been though a similar situation. I can share with you that we have a dentist who works well with children. You daughter should do well with her first dentist appoint. They often let her pick a toy after her visit so she has an enjoyable visit. Most insurances do cover this visit so be sure to bring your insurance card. C.

Hey, mama. Also watch for any blisters or pimples along the gumline of those injured teeth. Just pull up the lip every now and then when you're brushing and peek. That's how you'll know the teeth are in trouble if they don't discolor.

Hello, My youngest fell off our bed when she was 15 months old. She caught herself with just one front tooth. I thought that she had just cut her gums but it turned out that she had part of one root holding her tooth in. The dentist wanted to pull it out but I was against it. They told me "it was not if it falls out, but when it falls out." I am glad to say that my daughter is about to turn 5 and has no proof of an injury but the x-rays. Here is what I did...go to a herb shop or online. Purchase "white oak bark" by Nature's Sunshine. It comes in a capsule. Open 1 capsule into about 1/4 cup of hot water (like making a tea) Soak cotton balls in the mixture and place in the mouth at the gum line. Keep it in the as long a possible. Due to the age, I would wait until My daughter fell asleep and I would hold her in my arms. I had to make sure that she would not choke and I wanted to resoak the cottonballs every 10 minutes or so. I did this for about an hour at a time, everyday for about 3 weeks. You can't overdo it. When we went back to the dentist at 6 weeks, they were confused. They took the x-rays twice. NO INJURY! The dental assist chased me out in to the parking lot with a notebook asking what I had done. The bottle costs about $20, I think. I bought mine at an herb shop in Snellville. And it doesn't taste bad. Kind-of woodsy, like mild cinnamon. It also works on adults. My mom used it when she was told that she needed gum surgury. 3 years later, no surgury. I would like to take the credit for all this info but my dad is a lisenced Herbalist. I always call him when the doctors say that they can't do anything to help. Hope this helps you! D.

My son broke out 5 baby teeth last summer with a toothbrush. The chips did eventually smooth down on their own and are hardly noticeable--a year later now--one tooth has finally grayed. Versus my fear--the dentist is doing an x-ray next month and says he prefers not to pull the teeth and put in spacers--it is nature's root canal. So we will see. Best of luck

My daughter chipped one of her front teeth. Because it was chipped like a half moon, they placed a cap over her tooth. They gave her a little laughing gas and she was fine, but she was 2-1/2 years old at the time. Her other tooth was wiggly, but it is not as wiggly now. However, the tooth without the cap is very sensitive. Our insurance did not pay for any of it until the dentist took an x-ray on our second visit. Then, all we owed was our deductible. We had to return because of the second tooth was still hurting. You may want to check into the x-ray as I was told by their front desk person that some insurance companies will not pay without it.

I know how you feel about the teeth. My fourth son fell and busted out three front teeth when he was three. I was so upset but the dentist told me that the baby teeth weren't affectged and to just wait for adult teeth to come in. My boy knocked one tooth out, broke one tooth in half and loose, and one tooth pushed back up in his head so far you could barely see the tip. It looked bad for the longest time because the gums were bruised. Now he is 5 and we are still waiting on those teeth but it doesn't look as bad as it used to. I had one of my boys knock his front two teeth straight back. He pushed them back into place on the drive to the ER and they ended up being ok. I think there is a reason god gives us "practice" teeth as children.

1 / 3