Chipped Baby Molar on Seven Year Old

My seven year old little girl's baby molar chipped without any known reason. She was chewing on bubble gum and found a tiny piece of it which she had no idea what it was at the time. When I looked in her mouth I noticed that the molar right behind her "vampire tooth" (cuspid) was missing a tiny chunk. She is devastated and cried hysterically. I am worried as well. Does anyone have any experience with chipped teeth/molars?
And does anyone know if that particular tooth will fall out eventually?
I was told that we do not lose our molars ever. That those are all permanent. Is this true?
Please help with any feedback/suggestions. I will call the dentist in the morning.
Thanks a lot!

I am a dental assistant and yes you do loose molar teeth as long as they are her basby teeth. But still for her age you need to have her seen by her dentist because if that is her permanent tooth it needs to be fixed and if that is a baby tooth they need to see if her permanent tooth is coming in. Good Luck! P.

You have two sets of teeth. Baby teeth and permanent teeth. As long as this is the first tooth--she will loose it. I have chalk teeth -- they break very easy. My suggestion to you right now is NO MORE sweets or she will stay in the dentist chair ALL OF HER LIFE. She needs to use flouride nightly before going to bed and brush at least twice a day or she will have these problems forever. Stay away from lemons that breaks down the enamil and it does not replace itself either. Take her to the dentist--it might start hurting and may need a cap. The dentist may say do nothing and let her get her other tooth. Try to go to a pedi-dentist not an adult dentist.

Yes, this tooth is a baby tooth and will eventually fall out, but don't wait to get her in to a dentist. My five year old had the same thing happen to her and I didn't notice it until she started complaining that her tooth hurt. By that time, a cavity had formed in the chip and the dentist had to fill it and cap it. Very expensive! But she does like showing off her 'silver tooth'. Anyway, the procedure required her to be sedated, from which she got very sick. I have a tendency to think this might not have happened as badly if I'd caught it right after she chipped it. I'd HIGHLY recommend getting her to the dentist ASAP to prevent any further damage.

All baby teeth are replaced! think about how small they are, they have to be replaced, they would never last our whole lives when they are so small and fragile! But if her baby teeth are weak, then her 2nd teeth can be weak too. My son had very bad baby teeth, lots of chips, and his 2nd teeth are not that strong either! he has had one chip, and had calcium depostit spots on some of the others. If she has never been to the dentist. now is the time to take her. good luck

My daughter chipped a tooth... we took her to the dentist, and he said it was fine as long as it wasn't sharp and didn't get infected. You do lose baby molars... I just looked it up, and children lose all 20 baby teeth and they are replaced by permanent teeth. If she's crying in pain or the tooth turns colors, I'd take her in to the dentist. Otherwise, just wait out the time she looses it, it won't be too long!

Hope that helps!

Yes, it is a baby tooth, and she will get a new one probably around the age of 9 or 10 somewhere in there. I wouldn't worry about it unless it is painful. But if it really concerns you, by all means take her to the dentist, that should alleviate any concerns you have.
Blessings,

When my son chipped a front tooth (by falling and knocking it against a toy), I took him to the pediatric dentist to get checked out.

The dentist said to bring him back in if the tooth darkened or or became loose, because that might be a sign of an infection. And an infection could cause problems with permanent teeth growing in.

I don't know which teeth fall out vs. are permanent.

you lose all the teeth that come in before about age 12. i think you lose the first 2 or 3 sets of molars. if it's chipped badly enough to be sharp, you might need to have it filed down a bit so it doesn't cut the inside of her mouth, but otherwise you can just wait until it falls out on it's own!

1 / 3