Childs Toenails Are Falling Off

My 5 year old daughter lost 2 toenails tonight. I noticed that one looked like it was raised at the cuticle and might fall off the day so I scheduled an appointment with her ped. for next week. But tonight 2 of them actually fell off. They are not discolored, in fact they are kind of white and she says that they do not hurt.

Has anyone every had this happen?

Thank you everyone for the support. We went to the Pediatricians this week and it turns out that because her feet are so flat, when wears flat shoes i.e. flip flops, she is walking on the tops of her toes and forcing the skin to push on the nail and make it lift at the cuticle. The new nails are then beginning to grow and push the old right off. She recommended good shoes with arch support. Thanks again.

It's most likely not fungus if it's white. i had a similiar issue with a fingernail and went to a local clinic, they told me it was fungus, freaked me out by saying they were going to put me on medication and I would have to have blood tests every few weeks to see how my liver was reacting to the medicine, etc! Very scary! I got a second opinion at a dermatologist...thank goodness I did! Not a fungus just some kind of infection. I got a shot and some antibiotics and the mail grew back, no issues! Good luck at the doc!

it is most likely a foot fungus under her toenail, they will probably give her some anti fungal meds like lamisil or something

Im a nail tech for 18 years and it could be a fungus if the nails are white and falling off. If your ped doesnt know, try a podiatrist. Hopefully its not, but it may be. Find out from a dr for sure.

Actually, this happened to my daughter. The doctor asked about illnesses in the previous 6 weeks. The explanation was that the illness somehow altered the cells of the growing nails. Nails grow rather slowly, and that is how long the affected portion of the nail takes to get past the skin. Once it does, it's effectively dead, and the nail falls off. A new nail quickly grows. She lost all of her fingernails and toenails, but they did grow back, and we didn't have to take any medications. I just kept her covered with bandaids until the nails grew out more because the tips were senstive when they were uncovered. Do you notice any peeling of skin on the fingers or toes.? For some reason, the word desquamation comes to mind. I can't remember if this applies to the nails, or was some other doctor visit (we get a lot of oddball diagnosis). Good luck to you and your daughter. Hope you get some answers soon.

My daughter had this happen with toes and fingers. They said this can happen and didn't do anything about it. They grew back fine.

Do her shoes fit correctly and not too small?
Fungus?
Well the Ped hopefully will have a certain diagnosis.

Have not heard of this. Would recommend a derm to rule out a fungus.

go and it was a fungus. The Dr. said I either got it swimming or in a public shower. I had just got back from vacation prior to that . I lost all except the baby toe nails on both feet. Takes a really long time to grow back.

1 / 3