Children Wearing Protective Gear

I don't force my kids (7, 5, 4) to wear protective gear when they are riding their bikes, scooters, etc in front of our home. I encourage them but don't force it. I think I will force the issue when we start going on family bike rides or rollerblading outside of our front yard because of potential rocks, twigs, & unfamiliar territory. How do you guys feel about kids wearing protective gear?

@ Denise P; not sure why you think I would break the law

Accidents can happen anywhere. I let my son go rollerskating right in front of the house when he was 11. He wore knee pads, but no wrist protectors. Less than 10 minutes after starting, he fell backwards and broke his wrist. He spent the first 6 weeks of summer vacation in a cast. No swimming, no water park, no beach. Need I say more?

I enforce wearing a helmet, even close to the house. There's nothing to stop my child from losing control of her bike and ending up in the street in front of an oncoming car.

I knew a guy in college (avid bike rider) who was hit by a bus and the wheel of the bus ran OVER his head. The only thing that saved his life was his helmet. I never wore a helmet prior to that, now I do.

Helmets always. No helmet, no bike. They even wear them when they're in the seats on the back of my bike.

Having had an ex-husband who had to have emergency brain surgery because he didn't wear a helmet; suffice it to say, I'm all for safety gear.

In fact, as a nanny and a mom, my rule is simply "No Helmet, No Wheels".

My sister has been in two bike accidents. My best friend has been in one which involved a lawsuit so she could get compensation for injuries. A dear friend has a story in which he went biking and woke up in the hospital. The doctor showed him his broken helmet. It had saved his life. It's all about creating good habits now.

I have to add, after reading several other posts: I understand that our parents did plenty of cockamamie stuff with us when we were kids. However, the logic of "I did it and I was fine" doesn't fly for me. Of course you were fine;--you are alive! Those who died won't be posting to the contrary, for obvious reasons. Just a thought.

Helmets are huge. My friend's godson was riding his bike to school many years ago, somehow flew off his bike and landed on his head on the pavement, killing him. As she always tells me, and I tell my kids, "Is the concrete sidewalk any less hard than the concrete street?" I know it seems like a fluke, but you can never go back and say, "I should have...."

Definitely protect the head!

I have an adult acquaintance whose life was saved by his bike helmet. He wasn't speeding, didn't have an encounter with a car, is a very experienced rider, etc. He just hit what was probably a very small piece of gravel on a smooth, flat bike trail. He went down, slid and his head hit a metal light pole, hard. The doctors said he likely would have been killed or seriously injured by his head hitting the pole, if he hadn't had on his helmet.

You cannot predict what could happen any time, anywhere, even on a smooth sidewalk iin front of your own familiar house. If that little head hits the concrete without any protection, you can't predict it will be "just a bump."

As for an accident where "the one NOT wearing his seatbelt had minor injurires," tell that to the parents of the three high school and college kids around here who all died in a recent car wreck who all died. None wore a seat belt. The driver, who did wear his belt, is alive. "And FYI this happens often" that people are killed by seat belts, you add. What police agency or statistical agency says that, how often does it happen, where, to what groups of drivers and passengers? Or is it something heard somewhere sometime?

I'd love to see the statistics on that, compared to stats on lives saved by seat belts.

I agree, it's like not wearing a seatbelt when riding in a car. Most likely, nothing will happen, but it's better to err on the side of caution. You never think anything will happen to your kid, until it does, and then you'll be wishing you would've pushed the issue. I think it's unfortunate that parents are more worried about their kids being mad at them or being cool, than keeping their kids safe. Trying to enforce something you've been lackadaisical about when your kids are older is harder than teaching them the right thing to do when they're young.

I think it's a good Habit to form early. They can just as easily (perhaps more so) fly over the handle bars, or hit a rock with the scooter in front ofthe house as on a trail or in front of somebody else's house. Children's head are disproportionately large and when they fall, the lead with them. A traumatic head injury will be life altering. They'd be lucky to end up functional with a seizure disorder were they to suffer one. A helmet is such an easy thing to put on and wear, why not just do it?

It's true that our perceptions have changed. I certainly never wore a helmet as a child. But I make my son wear one, even though his two best buddies on the block never do. It's a one in a thousand chance, but why be that one in a thousand? A friend of mine had a niece who always wore a helmet, but once, when she was ten, she didn't because she was just peddling halfway down the block, slowly. She hit a bump, fell, hit her head the wrong way, and died two days later. Imagine what the father who didn't make her put her helmet on had to live with. I don't bother with the knee pads, etc, because skinned knees are part of childhood. It's the life-threatening head injuries I'm most worried about.

My kids don't ride if they don't have a helmet on. Period. They can hit a bump in the sidewalk in front of your house just as easily as the bike trail. It's such a simple thing to do to safeguard your kids, why risk it? Make it non-negotiable.

1 / 3